What's new

Missouri Meerschaum Modification Exhibition (CobMod 2018)

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If you remove the stem and metal ring, 20 seconds in the microwave will soften the glue and you can pull the shank right out.

Sent from my LG-M255 using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I decided to mod it. I call it the aristo-cane.
proxy.php

You're on a roll, man! Nice work! :thumbup:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
A MM Legend that I removed the shank and shortened it by a 1/4 inch. Glued it back in. Then smashed the bottom on the beltgrinder to tilt the seat. A little plaster to fill in the bottom. Finally a light sanding and buffed with wax.
proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I sure hope some others will play along. Its pretty simple and not very expensive.

I'v got a couple ideas I think. Your tip to remove the stem will help loads! Just gotta get off my butt and work on them lol. I've still got a handful of pipes to restore/refresh lol.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
This should keep me busy for a while...
proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Oh yeh. I should have mentioned that. [emoji16]

Ignore the rubber bands. Glueing up my first attept at a light cob mod. Didn't come out aweful but it was kinda quicky because I was also trying to keep up with the kiddo lol.

20180614_214922.jpg

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Ignore the rubber bands. Glueing up my first attept at a light cob mod. Didn't come out aweful but it was kinda quicky because I was also trying to keep up with the kiddo lol.

View attachment 890860
Very cool. How did you do the banding around the bowl? Not the rubber bands but the staining.

Very cool. How did you do the banding around the bowl? Not the rubber bands but the staining.

I used made a sorta mandrel with some stuff I had laying around to fit into the bowl and chuck into my power drill. It held it well enough to spin it somewhat lathe like. Then stained it with a tough up pen and slowly moved the pen back and forth. Made for a pretty neat effect. Not sure if I should wax it. If I do it will probably even out the lines a bit.

I sure hope some others will play along. Its pretty simple and not very expensive.

I want to get in on this but needed more inspiration. I really dig the aristo-cane. What did you use for a stem on that? I might try to duplicate that design.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I want to get in on this but needed more inspiration. I really dig the aristo-cane. What did you use for a stem on that? I might try to duplicate that design.
Thanks, I used Bamboo from an old tiki torch.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
For the transition I used a smaller section of bamboo and the stem is from the cob. I think it was a Little Devil Anse.

Top Bottom