What's new

MissJames Shaving Journal

I did it! :jump:

It took me 2 hrs, and the alum block stung like the dickens! But no bleeding and no missing fingers :badger::badger::badger:

Am I supposed to start one of those journal things?

Well, I guess I might as well try this journal thing. It will help me keep track of my progress, it feels a bit public :blink: besides who else am I going to tell other than you guys :tongue_sm

So I had my first shave. It was slow going but it was very enjoyable.

I assembled all the necessary components: Good music, good lather (P.160), pre-shave oil (my own mix), alum block, new Castor French point razor and hairy legs. This may be more relevent later if I have another straight to compare edges with but, my straight was honed or polished (see I have so much to learn) on a Water of Ayr stone which I am told is smooth more than sharp, which I think is to my benefit.

I went with an ATG pass starting from the ankle. Didn't expect all the hair chopping noise but it was kinda kool. After one calf was done I did it again, it wasn't very close, still too much stubble. Ended up doing two ATG passes on my calves and just one pass on thighs. And alot of fiddleing with little tiny strokes on my knees. It seems that my knee hair grows in alot of different directions, never really thought about that before.

By the second leg I realized that bending my knee made it easier to shave with the straight (this is opposite of what I do with DE) so there was alot less blade skidding / jumping going on. And since I have never really seen anyone doing their entire leg with a straight razor I had many things to figure out in terms of holding, pressing and pulling to get things tight on the thigh part, my calves were easier since much of it can be done with just flexing and pointing my feet.

In the end not the closest shave but still very nice, no nicks and no post shave issues.

I used my bench strop I made afterwards and stroped 20-30 times on the canvas side and 100+ times on the magic towel side. I am bad at keeping count. I just want to do it until my arm gets tired. Darn OCD.

Last edited:
Woohoo! We should start a tiny club for ladies straight razor users!
The knees are SUPER tricky huh?!? I love usin my straights but it does take much more time than any other razor.
Did you switch hands too? I find I have to for the backs of my legs.

Oh and if you master doing under your arms without getting razor burn PLEASE tell me the secret!!!

I love 4/8 razors- how big is yours? Do you find stropping hard?
I use a paddle strop and really have to concentrate on keeping the pressure even.

Squeeeeee someone to talk to about this!!:thumbup:

I'd imagine that the knee is a little like when a man shaves his chin. It can be a little tricky but it does get much better with practise. Perhaps a WTG and then an ATG pass would be worth a try. Hair does grow at different angles (alot more so in some spots) so it's worth trying a couple of different direction passes.

Good work on using a straight though.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Last time I shaved my other half's legs, I did 1-2 cuts on the knee. I tried to stretch the skin as much as I could but it wasn't easy. It wasn't easy either shaving something else than my face.

EDIT: I took the liberty of adding this thread to the list in Wiki with the other journals (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Shaving_Journals).

Last edited:
Congratulations on completing your first shave! :thumbup:

Did you notice any advantage using a straight as compared to a DE?

Thanx for all the encouragement. I'm sure this is one of those things that is one part courage and one part crazyness, I may have more of the later. (oooh sharp and shiny for my ratty eyes....)

Woohoo! We should start a tiny club for ladies straight razor users!
The knees are SUPER tricky huh?!? I love usin my straights but it does take much more time than any other razor.
Did you switch hands too? I find I have to for the backs of my legs.

Oh and if you master doing under your arms without getting razor burn PLEASE tell me the secret!!!

I love 4/8 razors- how big is yours? Do you find stropping hard?
I use a paddle strop and really have to concentrate on keeping the pressure even.

Squeeeeee someone to talk to about this!!:thumbup:

EEEEE! yes our own club!

I can't imagine using a straight under my arms. I found that using a DE with a more aggressive angle so you don't have to do so many passes and then spray with Thayer's witch hazel and alum (Natural Deoderant spray) afterwards.

My razor is a 5/8 and it's a bit weighty which I like. I put some pics here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3060505

I think a hanging strop would be hard, but I haven't done it yet. Just bench strop type thing I threw together. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3070659

BTW what does your signature mean?

Last time I shaved my other half's legs, I did 1-2 cuts on the knee. I tried to stretch the skin as much as I could but it wasn't easy. It wasn't easy either shaving something else than my face.

EDIT: I took the liberty of adding this thread to the list in Wiki with the other journals (http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Shaving_Journals).

Thanx. My hubby suggested I do his face. Shaving my own face is confusing enough. I don't know if I could stand the nerves, I would be so scared of cutting his face:blink:

I just laughed my lunch out my nose...

Glad I could help :lol:

EEEEE! yes our own club!

I can't imagine using a straight under my arms. I found that using a DE with a more aggressive angle so you don't have to do so many passes and then spray with Thayer's witch hazel and alum (Natural Deoderant spray) afterwards.

My razor is a 5/8 and it's a bit weighty which I like. I put some pics here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=3060505

BTW what does your signature mean?

Glad I could help :lol:

My sig means 'That which is strange/rare, is wonderful'

Congratulations, Miss James!

You are doing quite well with the straight razor. I'm impressed that you are getting such good results so soon.

Top Bottom