What's new

Mississippi River by SPC

Okay, I've heard a lot of good raves and reviews about this particular blend. So far I cannot find it as it goes like hotcakes at every tobacconist I know of.

That being said, how does it stack up with blends like Balkan Saisieni, Dunhill's London Mixture, and Nightcap? I don't dip a lot into Latakia heavy blends, but when I feel the hankering, I do enjoy London Mixture and Nightcap.

Thanks, Derrick!

I smoked some Dunhill's Nightcap after a rather large meal last night. Some friends of mine came over after we finished tromping through the wildflowers and glens around the Big Horns. The Nightcap was good but not my "go-to" I would say. I'm really enjoying my flakes and my beloved Escudo. My parents gave me an extra tin of the Nightcap and I'm just afraid I can't finish it! So I'll have to trade it or gift it.

But at least the Miss. River is in bulk. Better than buying a tin.

SPC MR is one of my favourites and I try to smoke it at least once a week. I know it well and do not consider it similar at all to Nightcap (heavy Latakia) or Balkan Sasieni (Oriental forward)... but, as we all know, taste is an extremely subjective thing. I haven't tried London Mixture yet. Miss River, to me, despite its Latakia content, is not a "Latakia blend." I find that the sweet and tangy Virginias dominate and the Latakia smokiness compliments it well, creating a wonderful sweet-smokey BBQ sauce flavour. It is famously smooth and mild, and given that I favour strong, heavy blends, that's a testament to its awesomositiness. Some think there's a not insignificant difference between the tins and bulk MR, with bulk being inferior... I cannot tell the difference and stock both in my cellar. I take that back. You're more likely to get chunky pieces of cake in the tins, which I believe ages better than the loose shake you'll probably get in bulk... but now I'm splitting hairs.

Top Bottom