What's new

Mission Accomplished - tobacco cellar complete!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice to find some fellow pipers here, good looking setup @AimlessWanderer ! I have been organizing and doing math on my cellar needs for a while now and I find my math is always incorrect. Must cellar more lol. My tad is slowing and my pad has blown up. See ya around soon fellows.

Thank you! I do still have little urges to add more tobacco, but not through calculated need. It's just simple gluttony, but being aware of that, keeps it fairly manageable... so far :tongue_sm

So long as I only add it at half the rate I smoke it, all will be well. I just need to figure out what that consumption rate actually is.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Everytime I think I have my cellar complete, one of you guys mentions something I havent tried LOL I cant keep doing this, I have enough tobacco to last years!! but I cant stop trying new stuff.......Darn you guys!!!!

Thankfully, most of the blends that get mentioned, aren't available over here, but I still have a growing list of blends that ARE available here, that I haven't tried, and aren't already stashed away for trying later.

Currently:

Revor Plug
McConnell Oriental
McConnell Maduro
Gawith Hoggarth - Kendal House, Westmorland Slices, SEVERAL Gawith plugs, and aromatic versions of stuff I've only had unscented
Thomas Radford - Luxury Blend
Germain's Uncle Tom's
Comoys Irish, Scottish (not bothered about English), and Cornish (which I'm undecided about, depending which description I read)

Then there's a pile of others which I DO like, but haven't got stashed for future, simply because I'm so fully stocked with other stuff. :001_rolle

The real trick for you will be determining your smoking rate. Not only how many pipes but how fast are you smoking each blend.

Everytime I think I have my cellar complete, one of you guys mentions something I havent tried LOL I cant keep doing this, I have enough tobacco to last years!! but I cant stop trying new stuff.......Darn you guys!!!!
Sunday Picnic from C&D. Orientals sing over the Virginias. Superb with coffee.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The real trick for you will be determining your smoking rate. Not only how many pipes but how fast are you smoking each blend.

Absolutely. Establishing number of weeks per 100g will make things much clearer.

Despite smoking more frequently since getting the new pipes at Christmas, I think I've still smoked less than 50g in the last month. I'm ticking off each of the little pouches and leftover samples as they get finished, and when that gets to say 150g, if it takes 4 months, then I know the cellar will diminish around 9 or 10 tins (or equivalent) a year. Any quicker, and there might be room for a little bit more. Much slower, and I'm already overstocked. Well, considering I was originally aiming for 5 years, I'm already well overstocked, but I don't really know by how much.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
And then you realize you don’t adore latakia anymore and see that half your cellar just became obsolete lol.

I've intentionally stayed low on Latakia. There's two tins which are probably stronger than I would enjoy, which will stay closed a very long time, hoping they mellow out considerably. I shouldn't have bought them, as I bought them before fully understanding my preferences. Everything else (which I think is only 6 more tins), is believed to be fairly light on Latakia. Probably Squadron Leader level.

However, what I haven't factored in (intentionally actually), is that about half my stash (all of it - not just Lat blends) is single tins of blends I haven't tried yet. I might not like some of them. Nor have I factored in potential spoilage.

I've intentionally stayed low on Latakia. There's two tins which are probably stronger than I would enjoy, which will stay closed a very long time, hoping they mellow out considerably. I shouldn't have bought them, as I bought them before fully understanding my preferences. Everything else (which I think is only 6 more tins), is believed to be fairly light on Latakia. Probably Squadron Leader level.

However, what I haven't factored in (intentionally actually), is that about half my stash (all of it - not just Lat blends) is single tins of blends I haven't tried yet. I might not like some of them. Nor have I factored in potential spoilage.
The answer is to buy more?😫

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The answer is to buy more?😫

Nah, it's as adventure. The highs don't seem as high without the occasional low.

Besides which, there might be no losses to spoilage, or blends I find unpalatable. Anything I don't smoke before I croak, is a waste, and simply buying more stuff I don't have time to smoke, doesn't automatically push my expiry date any further out to accommodate it.

Nah, it's as adventure. The highs don't seem as high without the occasional low.

Besides which, there might be no losses to spoilage, or blends I find unpalatable. Anything I don't smoke before I croak, is a waste, and simply buying more stuff I don't have time to smoke, doesn't automatically push my expiry date any further out to accommodate it.
A wiser man has rarely enjoyed a pipe sir. With the crazy pricing on htf tins and gold bags, I find myself wanting to add quality bulks to my cellar for aging. I can see myself enjoying Blackwoods less when it’s $500 a tin. I blame my father for my future guilt lol.
On a more serious note, how do you quantify what you might smoke in decades to come? My bowl a day could become 3 bowls if my wife and I end up near a good fishing river.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On a more serious note, how do you quantify what you might smoke in decades to come?

I don't, that's the key ;)

Five years roughly planned, some spillage into the five thereafter, but nothing into double figures. I've never planned anything that far out, and never will. I'm under 50, but with health issues, and far too much pragmatism to be blinded by idle hope.

I smoked cigars and the occasional tongue biter pipe in college. I didn’t discover Nightcap (classic transition tobacco) until maybe 2010 and have been busy since. I should have more than enough tobacco to smoke in my lifetime however I enjoy trading immensely. I will keep buying occasionally as long as my state doesn’t adopt the big tobacco tax.

Top Bottom