What's new

Mission Accomplished - tobacco cellar complete!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
If it helps, the Bones Arbutus I have smokes Va/Ors like a gold plated champ.

That's very encouraging! Thanks!

I've waited a long time for a Dublin-esque sitter, so I'm really hoping it'll end the search.

20211216_193155.jpg

This might not be the actual pipe in question, as I don't know how many the seller had.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I need to sort some kind of organisation for that [pipe] drawer though, to keep them from rolling around and clattering into each other, when the drawer is opened and closed.

Could you use that egg crate type convoluted foam in the bottom of the drawer to keep the pipes from rolling, and to prevent wear on the finish?

I think that would be a big trampoline for them all :lol: It's quite a shallow drawer too.

I'm thinking of something similar though. Closed cell foam, like a camping roll mat or something, with holes cut out.

Certainly not the prettiest of solutions...

20211216_195330.jpg

... but it works

20211216_195415.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
And here's my Bones I use for Va/Ors. View attachment 1379236
Not pretty maybe, but she smokes like a champ. And clenches beautifully. My favorite car pipe.

And colouring up well too, by the looks of it. :thumbup1: Is that one a Dancer?

Beauty is in its efficiency.

That's the attitude I take with pipes too. Beauty in their function and simplicity.

Ironically, the Bones (if I'm happy with it) will actually be my most expensive pipe to date! :biggrin1: Which I suppose shows just how much choice there really is at the pauper end of the market.

I should have room for just one more in the drawer, when the new three take their positions. I need a small (shallow) pot pipe for English blends that need consuming in small doses (too potent for a "full" bowl). Another Falcon is favourite, probably Genoa bowl, but I'm holding off a while in case I see a suitable cheap sitter in a pattern I don't already have.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Me not being a big time tobacco guy I’m way more impressed by that awesome storage chest. Did you make that yourself?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Me not being a big time tobacco guy I’m way more impressed by that awesome storage chest. Did you make that yourself?

Hell no! :lol: I wouldn't be capable of that.

It's a cheapo Chinese copy of Gerstner tool boxes. Good enough for me though. There's only one drawer with tools in - well, pocket knives and multitools. Oh, torches (flashlights) in one of the smaller drawers too. The rest is miscellaneous life stuff. Lighters, pens and pencils, chargers and cables, shoelaces, inks and tech drawing stuff, cufflinks and collar stifteners, music accessories, etc etc. All the general detritus that gets lost in bigger drawers.

And yes, one drawer has shaving stuff in too :biggrin1:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hell no! :lol: I wouldn't be capable of that.

It's a cheapo Chinese copy of Gerstner tool boxes. Good enough for me though. There's only one drawer with tools in - well, pocket knives and multitools. Oh, torches (flashlights) in one of the smaller drawers too. The rest is miscellaneous life stuff. Lighters, pens and pencils, chargers and cables, shoelaces, inks and tech drawing stuff, cufflinks and collar stifteners, music accessories, etc etc. All the general detritus that gets lost in bigger drawers.

And yes, one drawer has shaving stuff in too :biggrin1:

Still cool. I’ve got 2 Craftsman tool chests that are full of mostly nicknacks and smalls, no tools.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Last night, I decided to start doing a better tally of all the pouches and tins, so I had a more precise indication of the start point, in order to track consumption better.

Oops! :oops:

It appears I slightly underestimated just how "complete" it all is. :001_unsur Unless my maths went awry somewhere. it seems I did a good job of tracking the tins, but only score a C+ for keeping track of the samples and pouches. I need to go through it all more thoroughly now, and figure out if I made a boo boo of last night's figures too. It's not an extortionate difference, but with such a low planned consumption rate, it doesn't take much to make a fairly significant difference.

However, I'm still reserving judgement until I get a clearer bearing on the rate of consumption. I might not be quite so far adrift after all, and there might even be room for (i.e. not be too ludicrous to consider adding) small portions of the loose/pouched blends I haven't already got stewing yet, later in the year... or pouncing (lightly) on a return of Germain's stock.

No such miscalculations on the pipes though. That worked out an absolute treat!

20220121_135233.jpg

20220121_140254.jpg

Anyone would think I planned it. :001_tongu

I still haven't got the morta to sit yet, but haven't given it any attention lately. Too many other new pipes to enjoy, which don't need attacking with abrasives first :biggrin1: There's also scope for potential upgrades later, should I choose to. As you all know, this was all done at bargain basement prices, and the majority cost less than half the price of a Morgan Bones over here, and only five (?) cost more than 100g of tobacco. ;)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, it appears my spreadsheet skills suck. The pivot table isn't pulling all the data from the various tabs, and I'm utterly clueless as to why. I probably need to try to compile the data a different way. So in the meantime, I had to do it the old fashioned way.

I'd managed to keep track of the ageing stock just fine, but the laptop only appears to be tallying some of it. So once the reject blend, open blends, lingering samples, and a few blends I bought loose or pouched were added in, I am overstocked, but only 15% or so higher than I thought. No biggie.

No more purchasing anytime soon though, unless Germains restock my suppliers. Even then, I'll only be snagging a modest amount. Maybe 4 or 5 tins total. Just enough for free delivery. There's still a few other loose blends I'd like to add a couple of ounces of too, eventually, but I'll wait to get a sense of usage rates first. They're not priorities, and I can add then a few years down the line if I want. I've achieved the ageing buffer I wanted over the last couple of years, and it's all stuff that should develop nicely.

Pipes done. Tobacco done. Now onto the fun part. Steadily smoking it all. :)

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I must say that we all suffer from the same male affliction of collecting and organizing of things. From tools, to razors, to knives, to information and pipes. Small wonder we are all active members of this forum lol. I wonder what cave-man trait it was that survived thousands of years of evolution that boils down to us lovingly having a place for everything we covet.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I must say that we all suffer from the same male affliction of collecting and organizing of things. From tools, to razors, to knives, to information and pipes. Small wonder we are all active members of this forum lol. I wonder what cave-man trait it was that survived thousands of years of evolution that boils down to us lovingly having a place for everything we covet.

I was just thinking along the same lines recently. Much of the accumulation seems very hunter/gatherer to me. Picking steadily away at the things that are freely available, but still having the hunger to stalk and capture those things that elude us.

There were lots of cheap pipes available here, but I was absolutely determined I was going to score some with Dublin style chambers. I seem to be less concerned about tobacco unobtanium though.

That said, I tend to be more short term project minded. I've had similar with clothes, shoes, pens and inks, saucepans, and shaving soaps, over the last few years. A burning urge to achieve a specific array of options, but then be able to sit back with a sense of achievement when that's done, and not still feel a need to keep accumulating.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
"Urg. This shape rock kill animal good. Better find spare as backup."

Top Bottom