What's new

Miss heard sayings!

I thought that "NIP IT IN THE BUD" was "NIP IT IN THE BUTT".
does anyone else have some.
I will add them as I remember.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Happens to me all the time at work. The Australian accent vs. French Canadian accent... I think they're doing it on purpose sometimes... Ahhh, funny buggars!

Haha, one of the best ones I have heard is "worst case Ontario" that Ricky from Trailer Park Boys would always get wrong instead of "worst case scenario."

Little things irritate me sometimes, like "anyways" instead of the proper, "anyway". And things like "Miss Heard sayings" - like they are different from Mr. Heard's.

Not a saying, but a misunderstanding on my part when I was very young (about 5?).

I have an uncle Charlie. Of course all the adults in the family simply called him Charlie. But, with their strong New Jersey accent it sounded more like "Cholley".

Now here's the misunderstanding -- When I first saw a trolley car and was told it was called a "trolley car" I thought I heard "Cholley car" and was confused for a long time about why they were named after my uncle! No, this was not in San Francisco but in East Orange New Jersey and yes, I'm that old!

When I first saw a trolley car and was told it was called a "trolley car" I thought I heard "Cholley car" and was confused for a long time about why they were named after my uncle!

What a coincidence! I simply thought they were Charley cars and named after my Uncle Charley. Adding to this was the fact that my grandfather (his brother) worked for the MTA.

-Chris

When I was little, after going to the barbershop with my dad, we would always stop by the local pawn shop. In the South Carolina accent "pawn" and "pond" sound very similar. I was probably 5 or 6 at the time. After leaving the babershop, I asked my dad where we were going.

"To the pawn shop."

My little brain, with entirely too active of an imagination, began to picture this store, full of water. After thinking about it for a few minutes I asked him, "But how are we going to get in?"

"What do you mean? Through the door."

"But, it's full of water!"

My dad starting laughing, and I didn't think he would ever stop. I really didn't understand what was so funny. He still tells that story about me.

To add to my confusion, when we walked inside the pawn shop, not only was it not filled with water, but there was no water in there at all!

On a live Fleetwood Mac album, they introduced Lindsey Buckingham, and I never knew the band members. So instead of "Lindsey Buckingham", I thought they were telling the audience to "raise your effin' hands", much to the amusement of my coworker who was a big Fleetwood Mac fan.

Top Bottom