What's new

Mismatched Gillette NEW handle / base plate

I received a Gillette NEW SC today that came with a bar handle. After doing some digging around it looks like the base plate was machined for a ball-ended handle. From what I have seen of the ball-end handles for the NEW, most have developed cracks. So I'm wondering if I should try and find a serviceable ball-end handle or look for an alternative. I could also open up the gap a bit so the bar handle would fit properly. I just don't know if there's any negative aspects on doing that.
NEW1.jpg
NEW2.jpg

NEW3.jpg
NEW4.jpg

The SC only came with a common bar handle. You have the wrong bar handle. Some have 10mm diameter neck some have 8mm diameter neck.

You can either widen the gap to 10mm on the baseplate with a dremel, or grind down the neck to 8mm, or use a handle that fits, or use an 8mm washer to fill the gap.

Last edited:
Your razor looks spectacular.

@rabidus has summarized the differences between the two heads perfectly. I have the same SC style NEW head and the larger diameter bar handle definitely does not fit the recess.

Congrats.

Since this is just a user grade for me I decided to widen the gap on the baseplate. It turned out okay. At least the handle now sits flush and when it's assembled the handle covers up my messy attempt at grinding.

Before & After
new2-jpg.785109
NEW7.jpg

new3-jpg.785110
NEW8.jpg

Top Bottom