What's new

Misinformation on Barbicide

I've been reading some past posts on questions people asked of Barbicide and using it to clean their razors.
First off, unless you're really germaphobic, Barbicide is overkill. It's a hospital-grade disinfectant.

First off, Barbicide's first ingredient is....

TADA! Isopropyl Alcohol.

Sound familiar?
It should - Rubbing Alcohol. What some people here say you should "only" use.
That's totally fine, too. But if you don't know if the razor (or blade?) you got from someone may have had AIDS,
Barbicide may be a good choice. Barbicide also kills things that straight rubbing alcohol can't.

Smell the barbicide next time you get it.
Smells really strong of Alcohol, doesn't it?

The second ingredient is Dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, a very strong disinfectant. It is in Scrubbing Bubbles too.

The Sodium Nitrite in the formulation is for anti-rust, so it's safe for metal.

As for using Barbicide on Gold plated items, the answer is don't use it. Something in it reacts with Gold.

Alot of mis-information is being spread around about Barbicide.
Can you use it on your Razor? YES. Blade? YES.
Time to keep it in? Don't do it more than 15 minutes MAXIMUM. The recommended is 10 minutes and is MORE than enough when mixed properly.
All you have to do is LISTEN to the directions - when you take it out of the solution, RINSE IT THOUHORULY IMMEDIATLY WITH WATER.
If it's tap water, distilled, whatever.

I've put the cheapest plated nail clippers in Barbicide several times, and they come out looking shiny and new every time and the
plating is fine after 10+ 10 minute dunks + rinsing.

Someone also posted an article from the City of Ottawa, Canada, that stated Barbicide should not be used with Razor blades or Razors.
Here is the text:
" “Barbicide” cannot be used for any part of a shaving razor or blade that contacts the skin. Critical items such as blades for shaving are single-use
items which must be disposed of in a sharps container immediately after use..."

If you look closely at the article and take it in the proper context, they are discussing BARBERING, not home use. In laymans terms,
they are saying not to use Barbicide to reuse the razor or razorblade, it must be changed each time with a fresh blade in a BARBER setting. That's because
it is touching alot of customers. They are NOT saying it cannot be used to sanitize the razor & blade for YOUR use only.

This is a holdover of precaution because of Barber's itch among other things that was widespread up until the 1950's from re-used razors.
When you think about it, if we can use it and it works, why can't the Barber? Good question, and I'm sure there is a reason, likely having
to do again with touching alot of customers and something that Barbicide can't kill, or just plain caution.

In conclusion, it's fine to use it on your Razor & Blades.
BUT, before dunking it, I would test it on a small area of the razor to make sure (underneath the head would be a good idea).
Generally, however, if it can stand up to rubbing alcohol, it will be fine in Barbicide.

Warning to straight razor users: Keep the handle away from it. It will eat it up - blade ONLY.

Just want to clear some of this up.

IN THE END - IT IS UP TO YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO USE TO CLEAN YOUR RAZORS. BARBICIDE, ALCOHOL, SCRUBBING BUBBLES, ETC.

Last edited:
Among other thing that are infectious, AIDS has changed sanitation and sterilization requirements in commercial settings, especially where there is a possibility of blood or other bodily fluid contact.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think some people here use it because they are germaphobes and it is hospital grade disinfectant and overkill.
Factually, HIV isn't a real concern as it will not live for more than a few hours after exposure to the air and is incapable of reproducing outside the body.
Hepatitis C is a little more concerning at 4 days max.
But the whole "cootie" factor in society today has people scared of their own shadow.

I came round a barber last week who told me he had stopped using Barbicide on his straights (he uses shavettes on his customers by now). What´s the reason why I asked. The repellently soaks he said was killing his straights. I can not vouch for it but that was his saying.

Last edited:
I use it because it looks cool on the shave den counter :001_smile

10 min max

Then into a sink full of water and a through rinse.

Never had any issues. Probably never will.

I will use it when I have a LOT of blades open/unwrapped and it might be weeks before I get back to one. Old blade goes into the razor, down into the barbicide while I get ready to shave, then out of the barbicide into a sink full of water and then shave.

proxy.php

Anything new gets a dunk before the face or the hone. 10 minutes(brush included) and a good rinse. Ive bought quite a few old straights and thats the primary reason I have it. My razors and brushes are used by me only, so I dont have to worry about infecting myself!

Serious question: how do the folks with germ phobias handle going to out to a restaurant and using the utensils others have put into their mouths? There are 500 to 1000 different bacteria types at any given time in the human mouth. People with unclean mouths can have 1000 to 100,000 bacteria living on each tooth. Think about the people with various mouth sores, cut lips, etc, that touch the utensils your mouth touches. Think about that the next time you're at a restaurant.

Serious question: how do the folks with germ phobias handle going to out to a restaurant and using the utensils others have put into their mouths? There are 500 to 1000 different bacteria types at any given time in the human mouth. People with unclean mouths can have 1000 to 100,000 bacteria living on each tooth. Think about the people with various mouth sores, cut lips, etc, that touch the utensils your mouth touches. Think about that the next time you're at a restaurant.

I wouldn't go to a restaurant that didn't wash their dishes and utensils, and don't know anyone who would, germaphobe or not.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to a restaurant the didn't wash their dishes and utensil, and don't know anyone who would, germaphobe or not..

And yet, they only use soap and hot water. It's clear that only soap and water with a razor would be FAR less dangerous.

Apparently I have been misinformed I thought Barbicide was when a Barbie Doll jumps off the roof of her doll house.

Barbicide's first ingredient is....
TADA! Isopropyl Alcohol.

Is it? My bottle says:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT: n-Alkyl (40%C12, 50%C14, 10%C16) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride ... 5.12%
INERT INGREDIENTS ... 94.88%

Edit> I recall a similar discussion. Someone said Barbicide was flammable because of the isopropyl alcohol in it. I tried setting mine alight. I tried real hard. I failed.
The MSDS does list isopropyl alcohol as the first hazardous ingredient. But % by weights are not listed.

Last edited:
I don't think any virus, including the really nasty ones, can survive on a razor for very long (days). So things like HIV, Hepatitis and all the rest are not really much of a concern. The primary reason to use Barbicide, bleach or some other agent is to kill the spores that may be present, and those are viable for thousands of years. Alcohol is useless against them but bleach and Barbicide are very effective and really, who wants a 100 year old strain of tuberculosis?

As far as the original poster mentioning Barbicide attacking gold, I cannot say that it does not but is a noble metal and precious little attacks (pun intended) it and nothing that we humans can touch with our hands as far as I know.

Brian

I think some people here use it because they are germaphobes and it is hospital grade disinfectant and overkill.
Factually, HIV isn't a real concern as it will not live for more than a few hours after exposure to the air and is incapable of reproducing outside the body.
Hepatitis C is a little more concerning at 4 days max.
But the whole "cootie" factor in society today has people scared of their own shadow.

Top Bottom