What's new

Misinformation on Barbicide

Am I the only one that doesn't take any extra precaution to disinfect my razors after the initial cleaning?

I shave with them and put them away. then repeat that over and over.

I'm the only one using them so to me I don't see the point in a Barbicide or alcohol dip to kill germs.

I've heard folks dipping them in alcohol to prevent any rusting, since the alcohol evaporates and disperses water. That would be the only reason I'd ever do it.

I do the alcohol dip every now and then.

Some heavy duty bacteria or any of the Hepatitis viruses that can linger on surfaces for up to 5 weeks. The least of your worries should be the HIV virus as the small droplets one might encounter on razors and such don't last minutes exposed to light and room temperature. The Hepatitis class of viruses however are much more durable outside the host. with some studies showing pathogens still being contagious five weeks after being placed on some surfaces. So buyer beware.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/safety/Biosafety/BioSOP/SOPBBPSpill.pdf

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...leach+new+york+state&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Barbicide Plus, Mar-V-Cide II, Cidex, a 10% solution of bleach to water, or better yet an autoclave are the best resources to sanitize used razors whose provenience you are unsure of. If you feel comfortable buying a used razor off of Fleabay and lathering up and using it as is, then by all means do so. More power to you. However don't tell people that they are being ridiculous by taking sanitation precautions when buying used razors.

Last edited:
I have been using Mar-V-Cide for half a century.I trust it to disinfect my brushes , so might as well use it for razor disinfecting as well.

Can we get a consensus on whether it's safe to put a plated razor in the dishwasher? That would definitely be clean enough for me, but I wouldn't want it to wash the plating off.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Phil, in a few quotes and responses , you have a point. I re-read some and do agree your right.
However, I do not agree with you in others. We'll be gentlemen and agree to disagree. :wink2:

Outside of that, this post is going where I didn't want it to go.

Fair enough, and FWIW - I think your OP is spot on and informative.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Some heavy duty bacteria or any of the Hepatitis viruses that can linger on surfaces for up to 5 weeks. The least of your worries should be the HIV virus as the small droplets one might encounter on razors and such don't last minutes exposed to light and room temperature. The Hepatitis class of viruses however are much more durable outside the host. with some studies showing pathogens still being contagious five weeks after being placed on some surfaces. So buyer beware.

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/safety/Biosafety/BioSOP/SOPBBPSpill.pdf

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...leach+new+york+state&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Barbicide Plus, Mar-V-Cide II, Cidex, a 10% solution of bleach to water, or better yet an autoclave are the best resources to sanitize used razors whose provenience you are unsure of. If you feel comfortable buying a used razor off of Fleabay and lathering up and using it as is, then by all means do so. More power to you. However don't tell people that they are being ridiculous by taking sanitation precautions when buying used razors.

Let's not go there ok?
Unless you can prove your credentials are more impressive than the Center for Disease Control, then all this is nonsense.

How long does the Hepatitis C virus survive outside the body?
The Hepatitis C virus can survive outside the body at room temperature, on environmental surfaces, for at least 16 hours but no longer than 4 days.

http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cFAQ.htm#transmission

Hepatitis B can live longer on surfaces than Hepatitis C, but once again - a razor is a non-porous object. If you remove what is on the surface of a non-porous object, there is nothing there that can harm you.

If you feel the need to be excessive about it, that's fine. Go right ahead. Happy trails. But please - stop perpetuating ridiculous rumors and fear.

Provide one single documented case of a blood borne pathogen passed through the use of a non-porous metal object cleaned with dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and then soap and water and you can be king for a day.
Otherwise, enough is enough.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Can we get a consensus on whether it's safe to put a plated razor in the dishwasher? That would definitely be clean enough for me, but I wouldn't want it to wash the plating off.

I think the plating on vintage razors would be fine. I'd be more concerned about it being bounced around inside from the water spray.

That's a point, I hadn't thought of it being bounced around. My last vintage razor I put in a mug of boiling water for a while and then washed it with antibacterial soap and called it good, I thought the dishwasher would be a lazy option.

I don't know about these time limits. I soak my razor and blade after each use and I can tell you from experience that a 10 to 15 minute soak in Barbicide will barely, and I do mean just barely remove any soap scum.

The instructions do say to clean items thoroughly before soaking them in the Barbicide. Not doing so will impair the disinfection process (if not mess it up entirely.)
Still, if soaking a scummy razor for longer makes it clean and does some disinfection, then it's worthwhile. I may try it myself.

I worry more about my toothbrush tbh. Sadly it isn't safe to dunk that in Barbicide. Does horrible things to mucous membranes, IIRC.

Provide one single documented case of a blood borne pathogen passed through the use of a non-porous metal object cleaned with dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and then soap and water...
I don’t intend to show any disrespect to our esteem moderators. However….

From: "Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization inHealthcare Facilities, 2008"
William A. Rutala, Ph.D., M.P.H.David J. Weber, M.D.,M.P.H. and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee(HICPAC)

“Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
Overview. The quaternary ammonium compounds are widely used as disinfectants. Health-care–associated infections have been reported from contaminated quaternary ammonium compounds used to disinfect patient-care supplies or equipment, such as cystoscopes or cardiac catheters. The quaternaries are good cleaning agents, but high water hardness and materials such as cotton and gauze pads can make them less microbicidal because of insoluble precipitates or cotton and gauze pads absorb the active ingredients,respectively. One study showed a significant decline (~40%–50% lower at 1 hour)in the concentration of quaternaries released when cotton rags orcellulose-based wipers were used in the open-bucket system, compared with the nonwoven spunlace wipers in the closed-bucket system. As with several otherdisinfectants (e.g., phenolics, iodophors) gram-negative bacteria can surviveor grow in them “

Shickman MD, Guze LB, Pearce ML. Bacteremia following cardiac catheterization. N. Engl. J. Med. 1959;260:1164-6.
Ehrenkranz NJ, Bolyard EA, Wiener M, Cleary TJ.Antibiotic-sensitive Serratia marcescens infections complicating cardiopulmonary operations: contaminated disinfectant as a reservoir. Lancet1980;2:1289-92.
Shere L. Some comparisons of the disinfecting propertiesof hypochlorites and quaternary ammonium compounds. Milk Plant Monthly March1948:66-9.
MacDougall KD,Morris C. Optimizing disinfectant application in healthcare facilities. InfectControl Today 2006;June:62-7.

Last edited:

Dishwasher detergent is highly caustic. It also contains a high concentration of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) which is used by the re-platers to remove the old plating from razors.

Very hot water, Dawn dish soap, and an old toothbrush is the only razor-safe way of removing dead cooties from a used razor. Anything else puts the razor at risk, and is no more effective at removing dead cooties from the surface of the razor.

. . . Yessir, I know you suggested soap and hot water. I did that, but also boiled it in vinegar for two hours, followed by an hour in rubbing alcohol, and two days soaking in bleach. The razor doesn't shine any more and now has a yellow color . . . any idea what went wrong?

Tough topic. Sometimes hard to tell what was seriously meant and what was tongue in cheek. Personally, after the original clean and polish, there isn't a whole lot of disinfecting to do. I do, however own Barbicide, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and scrubbing bubbles, that often get used during the original cleaning. My own cooties have been with me for a long time, and I doubt if they'll do me any more damage than they already have.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don’t intend to show any disrespect to our esteem moderators. However….

Why do I always worry when I read a statement like that?

Overview. The quaternary ammonium compounds are widely used as disinfectants. Health-care–associated infections have been reported from contaminated quaternary ammonium compounds used to disinfect patient-care supplies or equipment, such as cystoscopes or cardiac catheters. The quaternaries are good cleaning agents, but high water hardness and materials such as cotton and gauze pads can make them less microbicidal because of insoluble precipitates or cotton and gauze pads absorb the active ingredients,respectively. One study showed a significant decline (~40%–50% lower at 1 hour)in the concentration of quaternaries released when cotton rags orcellulose-based wipers were used in the open-bucket system, compared with the nonwoven spunlace wipers in the closed-bucket system. As with several otherdisinfectants (e.g., phenolics, iodophors) gram-negative bacteria can surviveor grow in them “

Yes, thank you. Though you failed to provide a single documented case of a blood borne pathogen passed through the use of a non-porous metal object cleaned with dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and then soap and water, I'll remember that effectiveness can be reduced by up to 50% if I wipe down my razor with Cotton rags and gauze pads instead of the soak and tooth brush scrubbing that we have all been discussing here.

Again - please read this carefully so I don't have to keep repeating it;

If you wash off a non-porous metal object - there is nothing there that can harm you.

Soak your razor in scrubbing bubbles, give it a scrub with a toothbrush, then wash it with a good anti-bacterial soap and water, rinse it thoroughly and let it dry completely.

Good as new.

Why do I always worry when I read a statement like that?

Yes, thank you. Though you failed to provide a single documented case of a blood borne pathogen passed through the use of a non-porous metal object cleaned with dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride and then soap and water, I'll remember that effectiveness can be reduced by up to 50% if I wipe down my razor with Cotton rags and gauze pads instead of the soak and tooth brush scrubbing that we have all been discussing here.

Again - please read this carefully so I don't have to keep repeating it;

If you wash off a non-porous metal object - there is nothing there that can harm you.

Soak your razor in scrubbing bubbles, give it a scrub with a toothbrush, then wash it with a good anti-bacterial soap and water, rinse it thoroughly and let it dry completely.

Good as new.

You beat me to the punch.

I always finish any cleaning I do with a quick swish and two minute soak in 90% alcohol. When I'm out of that Vodka will do too.:001_tongu

Top Bottom