What's new

Misinformation, Misquotes, Distortions, Lies, etc.

As my moniker (knlgskr) indicates, facts/truth are important to me. However, there is a lot on the internet that is pure fiction; it seems at times that an amendment to the Constitution prohibiting this would be a good idea but it may be argued that it would be interfering with freedom of speech so here is a list of sites that provide verification/refutation.

snopes.com; factcheck.com; liepie.com; urbanlegends.com; about.com. If there are others and I imagine there are; it would be appreciated if you would share them.

Thank you,

Richard

Last edited:
Thanks, it's always good to remind us all of some of the fairly reliable venues for identifying internet flotsam or even outright fiction. I feel like I have to shake some of the people in my life and tell them, "don't believe anything that you receive in a mass email!" I can't believe people are still forwarding some of this schlock. I've become so cynical that I'm always surprised to see when something sent en masse is actually true.

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but has to check when you say the paint is wet? - William Shakespeare

Because it is a lot easier to check if the paint is wet than to count to 4 billion. And that's the Bill Shakespear that lives down the road, right?

I thought everything that is shared by thousands of people on facebook was true. I just reshare as soon as I see it.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I wish someone had told me this before I supposedly downloaded that Amish Virus and manually forwarded it to everyone of my contacts before deleting all the files on my computer.

The whole idea behind the 1st Amendment's protection of freedom of speech is that the people will be able to figure out what's true within the "marketplace of ideas." The unforeseen problem is that newspapers are dying and some people believe what they see on the intertubes and elsewhere, without trying to find the sane alternatives. Take a look at Sen. McCain's comments on the floor of the Senate yesterday, a forthright defense of the truth versus those who simply don't care about the truth.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The whole idea behind the 1st Amendment's protection of freedom of speech is that the people will be able to figure out what's true within the "marketplace of ideas." The unforeseen problem is that newspapers are dying and some people believe what they see on the intertubes and elsewhere, without trying to find the sane alternatives.

Democratic freedom assumes that the electorate is intelligent, interested,, and dedicated to seeking the truth and participating in the democratic process on an ongoing basis. We don't seem to have much of that left.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If enough people believe in a falsehood, it can culturally become fact. Like low fat diets will help you lose weight. Or irregardless is a proper word. Or MWF is hard to lather.

Sorry for the dumb question but what does this mean exactly?

knlgskr
Don't feel bad, I had no idea either. This is the main reason I don't like vanity plates on cars. I often have no idea what they are supposed to be saying, so I feel like if I got a vanity plate that shortens words no one else would no what my plate said either!:biggrin1:

Top Bottom