What's new

Misheard song Lyrics

It was only recently that I discovered that song was written by Bruce Springsteen and not Manfred Mann.
Springsteen is on record saying that it took Manfred Mann to cover his song for people to think he wrote a song about feminine hygiene products.
I saw a video of Bruce explaining the song years ago. Very interesting. He says that it is the first song to reference to fake boobs. “some silicone sister…”. Talks about the “douche” as well.

I found the video. Well worth a watch if you are a fan of the Boss…

If you like bean enchiladas,
and getting caught in the rain

Rupert Holmes
Escape
I was a kid when this song came out. Was in church one Sunday and the preacher used this song to make a point of how foolish it was to base a relationship on...you guessed it- Bean Enchiladas! And he didn't say it just once, he misquoted it several times. I almost lost it!

I read these to the wife on the drive home. She recalled the time she was a teenager visiting a friend. They were listening to the song "Hemorrhage" by Fuel in the friend's bedroom. Suddenly the friend's mother bust through the door wanting to know what filth they were listening to.

The lyrics are " Leave love bleedin' in my hands, in my hands " The mother, through the door, heard, " Leave love bleedin' in my ***, in my ***"

There's a word for these: Mondegreen. I learned that a few years ago on Randy Bachman's radio show, the Vinyl Tap.

It dates back to November, 1954 when Sylvia Wright published a piece in Harper's about mishearing a song in her childhood. When she was young, her mother would read to her from the “Reliques of Ancient English Poetry,” a 1765 book of popular poems and ballads. Her favorite verse began with the lines, “Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands / Oh, where hae ye been? / They hae slain the Earl Amurray, / And Lady Mondegreen.”

Except they hadn’t. They left the poor Earl and “laid him on the green.” He was, alas, all by himself.

For those interested in such details, this neologism has been in the Oxford English Dictionary since 2002.

Back in the 80’s these are lyrics I misheard. It took my little brother to straighten me out. Even today when I hear these songs I still hear the wrong lyric.

Mr. Dumbo man
There’s something wrong with my line…

Mr. Telephone Man
New Edition

Hush hush, keep it down now
Was so scary…

Voices Carry
’Til Tuesday

Honest I see you,
Honest I see you,
Honest I see you.

Our Lips Are Sealed