What's new

Minty 1922 New Improved Bostonian Set Arrival

This just came to me after languishing for 100 years or so in someones closet or drawer.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to have something like this considering I have only been looking at vintage razor for less than a year.

As recently as a week ago, I had no idea what a New Improved or Bostonian Set was. Then this popped up.

I don't see a lot of indications of use. The carpet (lining) is pristine and there are no soap stains on the lining or on the razor.

The plating is fantastic. I does have the requisite crack(small hardly visible) in the handle near the top of the ferrule.

The blades predate the razor (date code 120 or mid 1921). I'm assuming it came with more than the 6 blades I have. Maybe the other blades were used on whatever razor this one replaced.

I think this will be something that I just admire but never use, although I'm very tempted.

Enjoy....I know I am.

Dirty
IMG_7319.jpeg
IMG_7320.jpeg
IMG_7321.jpeg
IMG_7322.jpeg
IMG_7324.jpeg

If the handles were a fit problem, then they may have cracked even before they were sold. To much interference on the fit.

I'm sure adhesives weren't what they are today.

I had a fender replaced on my truck recently and I spoke with the body guy about welding on the new part.

He said they just use adhesives to install the panels.

Thanks for the note. I'm still amazed on my luck.

I just wish these things could talk.

Dirty

Congratulations on your new acquisition. A great historic piece. Although the razor must have been sparingly used it for sure has, so I would recommend you to use it and enjoy it. Imagine you lived 100 years ago and had that beauty in your hand 🙂

If you take care of the razor by rinsing thoroughly and air dry after each use you won't damage the finish on it.

Cracked handles were a "problem" for Gillette with the 'Old Type', 'New Improved' and 'NEW' models and not just sometimes, but a lot of times. Even their most expensive razors suffered this problem which most likely was because of the tight dimensions and/or the kind of brass they used in terms of durability. On one hand it's quite a shame, but on the other hand it tells a story about how it was back then.

Imagine you lived 100 years ago and had that beauty in your hand 🙂
Yes, I doubt most people outside of cities had access to electricity. Warren Harding was in office.

I failed to say that this is the gold version. It can be difficult to tell with this sitting and a brown table.

So ya, this was the expensive $6 version.

Dirty

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This just came to me after languishing for 100 years or so in someones closet or drawer.

I consider myself to be very fortunate to have something like this considering I have only been looking at vintage razor for less than a year.

As recently as a week ago, I had no idea what a New Improved or Bostonian Set was. Then this popped up.

I don't see a lot of indications of use. The carpet (lining) is pristine and there are no soap stains on the lining or on the razor.

The plating is fantastic. I does have the requisite crack(small hardly visible) in the handle near the top of the ferrule.

The blades predate the razor (date code 120 or mid 1921). I'm assuming it came with more than the 6 blades I have. Maybe the other blades were used on whatever razor this one replaced.

I think this will be something that I just admire but never use, although I'm very tempted.

Enjoy....I know I am.

DirtyView attachment 1635841View attachment 1635842View attachment 1635843View attachment 1635844View attachment 1635846
Lucky pickup, very nice to see a pristine razor. Thanks for sharing!

Very nice score! That's a beautiful set, as the New Improved razors are stunning in appearance and in use, and if you don't have another NI, you need to use/try it because that's what it was built to do -- I have a silver Tuckaway that I only use on my birthday and never in a hurry so I don't risk damaging it. I also have a "gold" Bostonian/single ring style razor that I use all the time because it isn't minty, so I can always enjoy a NI shave without putting the minty one in jeopardy. Use it carefully, but they are addictive so maybe think about finding a user grade Bostonian with or without the case.

Okay, (before someone chimes in), yes, we know "Bostonian" only refers to the razor set and not the razor itself, and the Tuckaway and Big Fellow NI styles have their own distinct names, so saying Gillette New Improved razor should by default describe the razor style that came with your "Bostonian Razor Set," but it's just too simple to call it a Bostonian and everyone knows what you're talking about and that's okay with me. Just be aware that someone will inevitably feel the need to point out that the name only refers to the set.
Tuckaway.jpgNEW Improved.jpg

Okay, (before someone chimes in), yes, we know "Bostonian" only refers to the razor set and not the razor itself, and the Tuckaway and Big Fellow NI styles have their own distinct names, so saying Gillette New Improved razor should by default describe the razor style that came with your "Bostonian Razor Set," but it's just too simple to call it a Bostonian and everyone knows what you're talking about and that's okay with me. Just be aware that someone will inevitably feel the need to point out that the name only refers to the set.
Understood.
It isn't a Bostonian Razor. It is a Bostonian Set and that is why I described it that way in the title.

Thanks for the encouragement to give it a try. Currently, I'm afraid to lift it out of the box much less use it.

In December I'll have another birthday and by then I may have the guts to try it. So far I have not enjoyed my open comb razors. I really haven't given them much of a try. I'm using Fat Techs and a Slim and Super Adjustable as well as my dad's FB Executive.

And Remember "wipe away from the edge, not parallel". How times have changed.

Nice razors Lord NSIC.

Dirty

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Congratulations, and another vote to use it. The New Improved is one of the best shaving razors ever .. or keep hawking the 'Bay for one in lesser shape. Aside from the superb shave, the razor elevator built into the case is unique .. it lifts the razor up to encourage you to try ..

the razor elevator built into the case is unique .. it lifts the razor up to encourage you to try ..
That is a great feature and I'm not sure if that is a feature with the other sets.

I thought about the scene at the end of Pulp Fiction where Samuel L. opens the briefcase for Tim Roth to look at. You don't see what's in the case but it glows gold and he says "Is that what I think it is?" It's Beautiful". I get that when I open this razor case.

Enjoy....I know I am.

DirtyView attachment 1635841View attachment 1635842View attachment 1635843View attachment 1635844View attachment 1635846
Use it but don't drop it.

Use it but don't drop it.
or in my case, don't leave it out in the razor stand (sitting at the end of a glass shelf, which were her idea so I could display my razors) where the wife can knock it off the stand and onto the floor -- hence why my gold "user grade" NI is now definitely user grade. Prior to her modifying (it's slight, but there) one of the end teeth I was seriously considering sending it off for replate because other than the plating, it was in great shape. Her response was, I hope I didn't hurt it," to which I consoled her with, "it's bent a bit and it has a flat spot on the cap, but in the big scheme of things, you saved me about $100." Her comeback was, "well, you shouldn't have left it so close to the edge..." Yep, my bad.

Top Bottom