What's new

MINT razors on eBay and what to do about them

How many times have you guys run across a seller on ebay who insists that he/she is offering you a MINT straight razor that they just picked up from a large estate sale? As you study the blurry pic in the best way you know how, you can see obvious descrepancies between what you see and what you remember as being the definition of the word mint in the dictionary.

You may not even know much about straight razors, yet you feel a primal urge to choke brown matter out of the ears of the mendacious misfit for trying to get you to pick up the soap.

Since their identity won't be given out by eBay for you to pay them a friendly visit, you can at least send them to my MINT page for a heads-up.

Bill;

Kudos to you for yet another fine write-up. :biggrin: You get right down into the fine details and you don't pull your punches... and I don't mind that one bit when we are talking straight razors.

- Ignatz

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've always loved that post, Bill. Mint doesn't mean "looks nice to me".

I agree with you completely! What I think is tragic is that there's so much "mint" crap on ebay that the true mint items can't adequately be described. I once sold a cellphone I described as "brand new, in sealed box, never opened, never touched". The lady gave me feedback "Arrived in better than described condition". I had to laff.

What's become of listings now is you have to translate everything:
"Mint" = pretty good
"Surface rush, will brush off" = no it won't
"Good for its age" = well used
"Solid usable condition" = crappy to look at

Bill, you hit the nail right on the head. It's actually pretty pathetic if you ask me or just plain ignorant. Today I spend a while going through the str8 shavers on e-bay and at least one razor out of 3 has the description mint or near mint. It's actually to cry for when you do look at those described mint(y) items. And off course the usual.. e-sale, don't know anything about razors, this would make an excellent addition, etc...

Wow I think Loy's cousin or brother must have been the guy who gave me my one neg. feed back. Different situation I was the seller, but the wording is very similar.

Is 85% mint like being a little pregnant? :)

Brilliantly done, but I'm afraid that as long as ebay has no formal standards for photography or descriptions (such as numismatrists use) nothing will improve. I don't think most ebay sellers are all that interested in the long-term loyalty of the straight razor enthusiast community. It appears that most sales are by people who came across one or two, and are entirely quick-profit-motivated.

Bill, you're a brave man. I give up on idiots a lot faster than you do.

Thanks a lot for writing and maintaining these guides and stories. Everyone looking to buy a razor on ebay should read your stuff.

Bill,

I have never met you, but your one hell of a guy! The mint page is priceless, and your ebay aboutme page is even better. I at one point collected coins, and lets just say "mint" to me means that we are looking at something that never saw someone's pocket and I apply the same ideals to razors, if it is in mint condition I shouldn't see any evidence that this was even used in the past or that it is even "old" (other then dust).

Cheers!

You are my hero! There are so many disreputable characters on ebay anymore that I have given up on selling there. Glad you stood up to that (insert explative here)!

A

Automaton-Tim

Bill, thanks for making a great page on the definition of "mint" for sellers. I am certain to use it while using the bay.

Top Bottom