What's new

Mint Juleps -- B&B Classic Cocktails

I make these with fresh spearmint from my garden, Bullett Bourbon and use star-bucks coffee syrup(just the plain simple syrup kind)

Fantastic summer drink. Wish I wasn't at work so I could have one and watch the Derby.

Boy, was my mix awful! I made a nice simple syrup, but added way too much to the drink. Syruppy sweet. How much simple syrup do you guys add? I'm going with 3 oz. of bourbon and enough ice to fill a 10 oz. glass.

EDIT: I see one tbsp in the OP's post for 2 oz of bourbon. Added way too much simple syrup, but this was after using about a tbsp initially and my wife finding the drink too strong. Eh...next year!

And while looking for the proper cup, I came across a deal on Maker's that I couldn't pass up. Totally forgot about the new bottle of Woodford Reserve sitting on the shelf!

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The mint julep is a delicious, refreshing drink commonly associated with the American South, and specifically the Kentucky Derby. As Derby Day is just days away, I thought it'd be appropriate to toss out a special "Classic Cocktails" installment on the mint julep. What follows is my version -- julep recipes are notoriously controversial, particularly on the point of "to muddle or not to muddle". However, in general, the julep consists of four ingredients: Kentucky bourbon, sugar, mint, and water. The "official" Kentucky Derby version is made with Early Times Bourbon, but the top-shelf variety offered at Churchill Downs over the past few years has consisted of Woodford Reserve Bourbon (served in an elaborate gold and silver cup). This is what I'll be using tonight.

The traditional Julep cup is either silver or pewter -- the idea that the metal cup keeps the drink cold and minimizes heat transfer to the drink when held only by the top and bottom rims. Today, they're often served in more standard bar glassware, but I happen to have a julep glass I like very much, and so although I'm a Hoosier and don't own a seersucker suit, I can assume the role of a proper Kentucky gentleman for a brief moment as I sip my julep. :redface:

So, without any further adieu, let's gather some ingredients:

full

We have fresh mint, bourbon, mint syrup (more on this in a moment), ice, and the aforementioned cup.

The way I like to make my juleps does not involve muddling. Some recipes call for lightly brusing the mint in the bottom of the glass, however I prefer a different approach: make up a batch of simple syrup and infuse your mint into it. I get best results by letting this sit overnight (which is why I don't have detailed pictures for this part of the process, but in a nutshell)

• Boil 8oz (1 cup) of purified H2O
  • Stir in 1 dry cup of granulated sugar until dissolved. Use only the 1:1 ratio for a julep... it's really easy to over-sweeten this drink.
  • Decant into a bottle
  • Drop in 4-6 sprigs of mint, and place in the refrigerator overnight, agitating lightly whenever you open the fridge for something else :tongue:
And now you have mint syrup. It'll look a little somthin' like this:

full

You don't have to strain out the mint if you're going to use the syrup within a week or so.

Now, to crush some ice. I like using bagged ice, especially for juleps. The water quality is usually better than what I get at home, and as my landlord has yet to install the fridges with the built-in ice-crushers that I keep requesting :wink: I have to improvise, and cubed ice really doesn't work as well as bagged when "manually" crushing. I put about a cup of ice into a ziploc bag, seal it up, and smash it repeatedly with a hammer.

full

I'm sure they have a better way of going about this at Churchill Downs. :blushing:

full

Now dump your crushed ice into your julep glass, all the way to the top:

full

See the frost already beginning to form on the outside?

full

Now -- slowly pour only 1 tbsp (about .5oz) of mint syrup directly over the middle of the ice pile. Remember: it's really easy to over-sweeten this drink. Don't overdo it on the syrup.

full

Now quickly, pour 2oz of bourbon over the middle of the ice. Woodford Reserve makes a special bottle art for each years' Kentucky Derby. Very fetching, but not so much as to not want to empty it. :cool:

full

Pop in a straw and give it a quick stir.

full

And garnish with a mint sprig. What you'll have should look a lil' somethin' like this:

full

:blush:

This is a truly satisfying drink, and remarkably easy to make. There's definitely some nuance -- some julep devotees insist on no mint added to the drink, and to only take in the mint through the nose as you sip around the garnish. Others prefer lightly muddling some mint with syrup. You could spend a lifetime trying all the "secret family recipes" out there. But this is what works for me, and it's what I'll be drinking on Saturday. :biggrin:
Pat:
Awesome tutorial and upon reading your post...now I'm hunger with thirst for a Classic (and muddled), Mint Julep (although I'll admit I've never tried one yet, but I will now). :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php
"Drinking is a way of ending the day". Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by a moderator:
Much better tonight. I poured a much smaller amount of simple sugar syrup over the ice and some Woodford Reserve closely followed. The syrup had a nice mint nose in the mason jar! Little sprig of mint as garnish and this one has much better balance. Thanks for the instruction!

Now I'm on a year long mission to find some cheap mint julep cups...

Fresh batch of mint simple syrup. I made enough to nearly fill a mason jar using 2 cups each of sugar and water. I still had a couple tablespoons of the 2011 batch. I'll be using Woodford Reserve.

No offense to Pat, 'cause he does great cocktail write-ups, but he can't really compete with this:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJV-O1e10z8[/YOUTUBE]
I first saw this video at the beginning of the year. This is a true bartender. His Old Fashioned recipe is the deal and his presentation od the Mint Julep is art.

Thank you for sharing and thank you to the OP for the tutorial.

Top Bottom