What's new

Minora Safety Razor

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I own a Minora at the moment and everything started in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=86488

I borrowed Erwin's pictures(first 2) as I bought it from him and I took some more pictures that will show the plating loss on the head/tin. I would qualify the whole kit as good to excellent condition. Nothing broken, box closes well. Missing 1 blade dispenser. Plating loss here and there. The thread would need to be re-done if you want to fit this on a Bull Mastiff handle as it won't fit at the moment. I tried a couple of Gillette handles on it and they all fit fine except the Bull Mastiff!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can take more pictures if required. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
I just picked up a box (5pack) of Minora blades yesterday. The ones I have were manufactured in Canada with the blade design registered in 1930. I know this is not terribly related, but merely a little extra info.

I also noted in your other thread folks are pondering the Gillette connection. Gillette definately owns Minora blades these days - they sell them in Africa. Not sure of course when they picked them up which is what would be important here. The 1930 patent DE Minora's I have however were manufactured by the Dowd Blade Co Ltd - and Gillette had a plant in Montreal Canada. So, they probably did not own the Minora name at that point at least. (And your razor looks right around that vintage).

New blades - View attachment 56157

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Mmm, interesting!

I knew about the blades but never seen any!

Why would anyone want to trade out handles on a perfectly good Minora? I can see, albeit very reluctantly, using a different handle on a vintage razor if the original handle was damaged beyond functional use. But, I cannot understand the desire to ever replace a fully functional original handle, especially on a beautiful razor like this. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

Staff member
Why would anyone want to trade out handles on a perfectly good Minora? I can see, albeit very reluctantly, using a different handle on a vintage razor if the original handle was damaged beyond functional use. But, I cannot understand the desire to ever replace a fully functional original handle, especially on a beautiful razor like this. :confused:

I was going to try it with my other handle however it doesn't fit so I tried it with the original handle. It's a great razor but I am more satisfied with my current setup.

Last edited:

Some people like to try different handles on different heads.:rolleyes:
It's not like their harming the razor by using the non original handle.
Different weigh handle change the balance of a razor and can affect our perception on how the head shaves.
The ability to use different handles with different heads in my opinion make the 3 piece design more flexible then TTOs or long stemmed 2 piece razors.

It's a lovely looking handle. But for me with the NEW head, I prefer a longer and heavier handle. That's why my Gillette version will be leaving my den soonish.

I'm drooling a little bit... it looks lovely. I do have a trip coming up in August that would necessitate a travel set...

Luc

Staff member
It's a nice set and I'm having difficulties finding more information on the razor... Everything seems to be related to the blades... It must be one rare piece!

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I will have to try Bing tonight as Altavista, Yahoo, Google and Cuil are not giving me anything...

Luc

Staff member
I didn't find anything related to the razor off the other web engines.

Last edited:
Top Bottom