What's new

Mining a Zenith boar knot

I enjoy mining the boar knots from inexpensive plastic handles and then enjoying the knot in a nice artisan handle. I've done it successfully with an Omega and a Zenith, both of them plastic handles where the knot was easy to pull out.
Recently I purchased this Zenith unbleached boar, one of my favorite knots. But the handle was chromed resin, quite different than the plastic ones that easily fell apart when crushed in a vise. Today I decided to try get the unbleached boar out. Here is the intact brush held in a vise where I started by cutting the bottom off.
Imagepipe_31.jpg
Once the bottom was cut off I could see how it was poured with resin right to the bottom.
Imagepipe_30.jpg
Next, I cut through the chrome, hoping that it would pop off. It did not.
Imagepipe_29.jpg
I could see that I needed to cut a second round off so that I could see how the knot plug was attached to the chrome exterior.
Imagepipe_27.jpg
Now I could see the knot plug and was able to pry the shell off of it.
Imagepipe_24.jpg
Which left the knot plug.
Imagepipe_19.jpg
Unfortunately, my cutting with the hack saw wasn't very straight so I was left with a very lopsided knot.
Imagepipe_18.jpg
But with a disk sander I'll be able to level it off and put it in the handle of my choice.
Imagepipe_17.jpg
All of this in the name of science, research and progress! And for the curious, wondering what would happen if I tried to bust open that cheap chromed handle?

I enjoy mining the boar knots from inexpensive plastic handles and then enjoying the knot in a nice artisan handle. I've done it successfully with an Omega and a Zenith, both of them plastic handles where the knot was easy to pull out.
Recently I purchased this Zenith unbleached boar, one of my favorite knots. But the handle was chromed resin, quite different than the plastic ones that easily fell apart when crushed in a vise. Today I decided to try get the unbleached boar out. Here is the intact brush held in a vise where I started by cutting the bottom off. View attachment 1546562Once the bottom was cut off I could see how it was poured with resin right to the bottom. View attachment 1546563Next, I cut through the chrome, hoping that it would pop off. It did not. View attachment 1546565I could see that I needed to cut a second round off so that I could see how the knot plug was attached to the chrome exterior. View attachment 1546566Now I could see the knot plug and was able to pry the shell off of it. View attachment 1546568Which left the knot plug. View attachment 1546571Unfortunately, my cutting with the hack saw wasn't very straight so I was left with a very lopsided knot. View attachment 1546572But with a disk sander I'll be able to level it off and put it in the handle of my choice. View attachment 1546575All of this in the name of science, research and progress! And for the curious, wondering what would happen if I tried to bust open that cheap chromed handle?
Resurrecting an old thread, I just ordered this brush linked here: ZENITH unbleached bristle chrome handle 2000 C XSE - https://yourshaving.com/gb/shaving-brushes/1431-1403-zenith-unbleached-bristle-chrome-handle-2000-c-xse.html#/52-hair-boar

Is this the same one you cut open? I ask because I know Zenith makes aluminum handles and I wasn't sure if this was aluminum. Trying to avoid aluminum. I emailed Zenith directly also asking.

Top Bottom