What's new

Minimalist shaver’s annual cost...

After experimenting with a variety of blades, razors and soaps I zeroed in on what worked and for 3 years now there’s been almost no change in my every day shave kit. I use the same soap, brush and razor every day. Here’s the items I purchases in 2017.

It doesn’t have to cost a fortune. In fact the items listed here will push me far into 2018. I didn’t need blades because I’d bought a few hundred in the beginning and still have some left. Same with several aftershaves I’d stocked up on at the beginning (Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Clubman and Bay Rum).

I enjoy every morning’s shave with my simple kit. :)

2017 Shave purchases:

2-5-17: 5 pucks of williams soap = $9.72

3-16-17: Clubman talcum powder = $4.99

3-17-17: talc brush = $8.49

6-22-17: 12 pucks of VDH Deluxe soap = $22.41

12-24-17: Skin Bracer = $4.58

Annual total = $50.19

Fifty bucks! Shave cream and blades. That's all for the closest most comfortable shaves anywhere! The aloe Vera gel I use anyway as a facial conditioner, after sun, after shower and shave so I don't include this.

If it works for you, don't fix it.

But I would get bored with a set-up like that very quickly.
One of the best things about this hobby is VARIETY,
and being able to try new things every day.

My Tuesday morning shave is far different from my Saturday night grooming experience,
and then there are special occasions like Birthdays and the 4th of July where you can really go to town.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't need any more razors, so no cost there. I don't use pre shave or aftershave lotion either.

Soap: A block of Mitchells Wool Fat is about £8, and a Palmolive shave stick is £0.50. These are the only two soaps I use.

Blades: Bought in bulk, you can roughly say £10 per 100 blades, and I'm unlikely to use more than two per month. Lets call that £10 every four years.

Brush: I only have one, and it's still going strong. They're available for less than £10 anyway

Aftershave Lotion: The last one I got cost me £2.60. I don't use it every shave.

Total Cost: £15 to £20 per year puts me ahead of the curve. If I stuck with Palmolive, it would be well under £10/year.

I could easily spend $0 for the next 2-3 years, based on current supplies. In fact, if I sold off the stuff I don't use, I could make several hundred dollars or more. :D

After 7 years in the hobby, I've settled on Artist Club razors and blades, a couple of boar brushes, a handful of favorite soaps/creams, and a clutch of favorite ASes. Going forward I figure I could get by comfortably spending about $50/year: Razors: $0; Blades $10; Soap/Cream $5; Brushes $0; Aftershave: $33. (For ASes I'm figuring a bottle each of Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic and Master Checker Flag per year, and one 400ml bottle of Floïd Vigoroso spread out over 3 years.) No doubt I'll spend more than that -- I'm not a card-carrying minimalist by any means. :a17:

I can easily spend less than $50 per year. I only use two or three after shaves (Nivea balm, Old Spice, Ice Blue Aqua Velva), mostly two blades (GSB, Astra SP). I will need to get some Astra's this year. I have probably 120 or so GSB blades. I keep blades in three vintage Gillette razors, and rotate weekly. But I get close to 30 shaves from a blade. I have enough soaps and creams to not get any for a while, but have one or two that are getting close to being finished. So we will see.....

I've settled on Artist Club razors and blades, a couple of boar brushes, a handful of favorite soaps/creams, and a clutch of favorite ASes. Going forward I figure I could get by comfortably spending about $50/year: Razors: $0; Blades $10; Soap/Cream $5; Brushes $0; Aftershave: $33.

Probably more on soap and less on AS, but otherwise this is my situation to a tee.

This can be a very frugal way to shave. I’m sure I could do it with a few pucks of Arko, a handful of Astra SP blades and generic Wich hazel (add glycerin). That would be my method.

But then I’m the guy who has a collection of expensive rocks from Japan, so what do I know?

Last edited:
I've settled into a very pleasant routine, not totally minimalist, but I don't see buying anything at all in 2018. But how I splurged when I discovered this wonderful world!

I’m not as minimalist as the OP, but I lean in that direction. I see no reason to own more than a few razors and brushes. Soaps and creams are my guilty pleasure though. I get the urge to try a new one every few months or so.

Good man!

I am taking a different tack: the 2018 shaving purchase sabbatical! With luck and perseverance my cost this year will be ZERO as I try to use up stuff that I have been stockpiling around here!

Im settling into being a minimalist shaver. Ive settled on the Feather AC being my razor of choice and the Feather Professionals being my blades and Ive got 100 of those blades on hand right now. With getting 6 shaves out of each blade and shaving every other day, Ive got a little over 3 years worth of shaves.
Ive got 2 Semogue OC brushes that should last be 6-10 years and after that I will probably just buy cheap brushes. You can get a really nice Maggard of Yaqi sythetic for less than $20 that I feel will match the performance of any more expensive brush.
As for soaps, Ive been on a Mickey Lee kick lately but honestly, Ive got over 20 pucks of soap right now, which should last me at least 5 years. I do love Mickey Lee's Bodhisattva aftershave though, I may need to pick up more of that.
So, really other than aftershave, I dont see myself making any shaving purchases this year.

Razor(s) I have, Astra blades will run $12, soaps $18 (i was out...), after shave another $12-$15, so $42-$45, and no more blades for 2019 either.

Just got 100 Astra for $10 and I’m working on a puck now. So, another $10-15 for soap and Nivia AS balm and I should be good.

$50.00 is pretty darn good! I'm into straights. So that means I'm still amortizing all my front end purchases. I'm probably at $100/yr until I die or sell some stuff lol!

I envy you OP :001_tongu

Ha, ha! Yes, me too. But I'm going to sell two razors in the next couple of months (bringing me back to one), which will help. Otherwise, I think $50 a year going forward is an accomplishment in itself!
Oh man! I envy you. Like they say, "Beware of the man with only one gun"... I just can't do the whole one gun thing. So to heck with the one gun theory because you know what they also say!?!? "Variety is the spice of life."

lol

Top Bottom