What's new

Minimal honing/stropping setup?

I don't mind buying nice stuff, but I like to keep things as simple and minimal as possible. So would a Belgian coticule and leather/linen strop suffice? Any other minimal setups?

That will do for most razors. As long as there are no chips and or falling a part edges. If using a new razor it will be a great set up.

Pieces of balsa with crox and iron oxide or diamond sprays for doing touch ups. the crox and iron oxid are cheap! I had planned on just using that method myself. It didn't last long but that had to do with getting a messed up razor that was suppse to be shave ready and wasnt. I haven't bevel set on a coti so cant comment on it. I don't have one big enough but the prices for a 1k King or 1k/6k combo king home are ridiculous. I think I $28- $30.00 with a coupon at Rockler for the combo. the single is even less.

And while not a fully-functional replacement for a Coti, a C-Nat can be had for well under $50 on the Bay, and it is a replacement for a $75+ 12k-15k stone.

Legion

Staff member
I don't mind buying nice stuff, but I like to keep things as simple and minimal as possible. So would a Belgian coticule and leather/linen strop suffice? Any other minimal setups?

This set up plus a slurry stone would cover 90% of what the average shaver would need. If you wanted to start doing some serious restore work you may need something courser, but for most stuff this would be good. I'f I ever need to go "on the lam" I'll probably grab one razor, my strop, and a barber hone sized coticule.

You can absolutely use just those items and be fine. (you would want a slurry stone for the coticule...)

I know because that is all I use anymore.

Top Bottom