What's new

Miniature Old Fashion

I read in “What are you Drinking Tonight “ thread about old fashions. Intriguing. As a confirmed scotch drinker I wonder.
Being the frugal (cheap) man that I am, I wonder using easily available miniature bottles and small quantity additions what good, can I ask for great?, Old Fashions can I make?
Not wanting to add a bottle that will sit untouched till after I fully retire.
Not asking much.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Larceny, which i first tried in one of those mini bottles. I’d pick up one or two of those and tryout an old fashioned with them.

I'd say any mini bottle will be just as good as the full size bottle. I went through several different bottles from my cabinet a while back, and found Wild Turkey 101 to make the best. Though to be honest, the randomness created by my general lack of mixing skills could have played just as much of a role. YMMV.

I will say that I much prefer using a regular size orange to using a smaller nectarine/tangerine/whatever those things are. I keep store bought simple syrup around for when I want to make a glass of sweet tea, though I believe it technically has a shorter shelf life. I've never seen small bottles of bitters, so can't really speak to that option.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
IMO higher proof is your friend with mixed drinks. I personally like BIB Bourbons (100 proof) for mixers but you probably won’t find them in mini bottles. Like @ByMyBeard said WT101 is a good choice as a mixer, or a sipper.

May be the season..? The liquor stores I’ve been going in lately have premixed drinks now, not miniatures of bottle spirits.
I know I went in the store with the largest selectio, but I can’t remember which one it is.😧

Top Bottom