What's new

Mini-reviews of Canadian artisan soaps

I created this for another site and figured some people here would be interested. Just a quick rundown of the Canadian products I own.

Lots of great value to be found in the Canadian artisans, as well as some of the best scents I've experienced in wetshaving. My biggest gripe is the lack of alcohol-based aftershaves - Maol Grooming is really the only one. Almost everybody else only makes balms or witch hazel splashes.

I have pretty hard water and find the most slickness with a fairly dense, shiny, stable lather. This might get repetitive because all these soaps are top notch.

1.jpg

Group shot.
Back row: Maol Marlogue Woods, Maol Heliopteris, Purely Skinful Fougere Mysterieuse, Highland Springs Kootenay Blue
Middle row: Paragon Sunlit Forest, First Canadian Vetiver, First Canadian Loretto Lime & Rosemary, Jilek's Star Anise, Jilek's Green Fern
Front row: Highland Springs Citrus, The Handsome Grouse Unscented, Midnight & Two Provence, and a couple Purely Skinful sample pucks

2.jpg

First Canadian Shave - extremely soft, superfatted tallow croap. Softest soap I own by far. Loads fast. Lathers fast. Comfortable, slick, easy shaves. My favourite soap right now, and both of these scents are simple but nice.

Paragon Shaving - this soap is technically American as it is made by Through The Fire Fine Craft. Tallow. Mid-firm. Makes volumes of slick lather pretty easily. Absolutely gorgeous scent considering it's essential oil only - orange, lavender and wood

Highland Spring - this is their "premium" base. I haven't tried the other base yet. Vegan. Mid-firm even though they label it as soft. Dark and warm smell with orange and lemon topnotes. Nice and slick. Lots of skin conditioning ingredients.

3.jpg

Jilek's - huge, fancy containers of firm soap, should last forever. Found it pretty easy to dial in. The Anise is is latest vegan formula - mild single-note scent - and the Fern is last year's batch of tallow soap - mild but complex scent.

The Handsome Grouse - simple mid-hard tallow puck at a great price. Lathers so fast I can't believe it. Haven't tried any of their scented products but they are all essential oil only.

Midnight & Two - firm vegan soap. Small container filled the the brim. Loads nice and treats your skin well. This isn't a scent I was really looking at, but I found it on sale - it's a very pleasant lavender. Pretty expensive soap that I maybe wouldn't buy at the regular price, but it's great quality.

4.jpg

Copper Hat - I forgot this one in the group shot because I had just done a test lather with it (which seemed promising). Hard puck. Would be vegan if it didn't have goat's milk. Haven't actually shaved with it yet, but it was so cheap I couldn't resist buying it.

Purely Skinful - Reasonably priced hard tallow pucks with some pretty nice scents. These ones are the sample size and are good for 30+ shaves easily. I've tried the beef tallow base so far, and it's a bit hard to load, and finicky to dial in with my hard water, but rewards you with nice lather. They call it thirsty, but I found the opposite - too much water easily collapses your lather. Might fare better with softer water.

5.jpg

Maol Grooming - Canada's answer to Chatillon Lux. Gorgeous scents in a soothing & moisturizing alcohol-based splash, available with or without menthol. Scent performance varies by flavour.

Purely Skinful - thick balm that rubs in nicely, not greasy. Scent performance is not bad.

Highland Springs - milky alcohol-free splash. Treats the skin well. This is one of the best fragrances I've found in wetshaving so far, but I wish it was stronger and lasted way longer. (I also wish it came in glass instead of plastic, and had alcohol)

All of these except for Jilek's and Handsome Grouse were purchased through either stonefieldshave.com or topofthechain.ca

Last edited:
First Canadian Shave - extremely soft, superfatted tallow croap. Softest soap I own by far. Loads fast. Lathers fast. Comfortable, slick, easy shaves. My favourite soap right now, and both of these scents are simple but nice.
My understanding was that when First Canadian was sold (in 2017) the new owners reformulated them all into creams. Is this not the case?
For a while, the original formula "Barbershop Taper Fade" was my favourite soap (ever), with lots of bergamot scent to it. Very similar to B&M Seville.

My understanding was that when First Canadian was sold (in 2017) the new owners reformulated them all into creams. Is this not the case?
For a while, the original formula "Barbershop Taper Fade" was my favourite soap (ever), with lots of bergamot scent to it. Very similar to B&M Seville.

It is still a tub soap, just a very soft one. These are both the latest formula. You almost could stick it in a tube and call it a cream, but not quite. I've heard it compared in consistency to Declaration Grooming

To the best of my knowledge all the scents were kept, but some of the names changed. Barbershop Taper Fade is just called Barbershop now.

Gostlife I assume yuh ou are from Canada?
What part?
We are making a trip next August.
We are going to far eastern New Bruswick and a day trip to Montreal via Burlington VT.
Any places to stop along the way that would be a great place to purchase Canadian wet shaving products.
Thanks

Gostlife I assume yuh ou are from Canada?
What part?
We are making a trip next August.
We are going to far eastern New Bruswick and a day trip to Montreal via Burlington VT.
Any places to stop along the way that would be a great place to purchase Canadian wet shaving products.
Thanks

I am out west in the prairies... there are a few brick and mortar stores in Calgary and 1 in Edmonton but that's about it out here. I bet you can find some nice stores in Montreal but I don't know the area.

... We are going to far eastern New Bruswick and a day trip to Montreal via Burlington VT.
:glare: Certainly none in eastern New Brunswick. The most exciting place might be The Body Shop franchise store, in Moncton. One pretty good shaving cream, one brush of debatable quality.

Nice job on the reviews Ghostlife. The only Canadian offerings I've tried so far are 3 soaps from The Handsome Grouse and your mention of fast lathering is spot on, They are the fastest lathering soap I've tried to date and they have the added bonus of providing a very pleasant shave.

I keep a puck in an Old Spice mug especially for occasions when time is a factor and I need a good lather fast without giving up a comfortable shave.

The new owners of First Canadian did a few reformulations of their own since they took over. I can confirm that their latest base, which now includes goat's milk, is significantly harder than their previous ones. Definitely not a cream like consistency. It performs great and their Barbershop is indeed one of the better ones out there. However, I personally never found it to be similar to Seville. After reading your comment about that, I decided to shave with FC Barbershop followed by the Seville splash. Lo and behold, they complemented each other quite well!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I can confirm that their latest base, which now includes goat's milk, is significantly harder than their previous ones. Definitely not a cream like consistency. It performs great and their Barbershop is indeed one of the better ones out there.
Ooh, goat's milk.
I've shaved with Caprina Fresh Goat's Milk Soap, a bath bar, with some success, so there must be something to it.
I'll have to give FC Barbershop another try.
Now I wonder about their Sandalwood soap. Does it smell like Proraso Red :)thumbup1:) or more like TOBS Sandalwood :)thumbdown)?

I don’t know what to think. I have only a couple of Canadian soaps, such as First Canadian Polar Vortex and Rockwell Barbershop. I don’t even if Rockwell falls into the artisan category.

Rick

Ooh, goat's milk.
I've shaved with Caprina Fresh Goat's Milk Soap, a bath bar, with some success, so there must be something to it.
I'll have to give FC Barbershop another try.
Now I wonder about their Sandalwood soap. Does it smell like Proraso Red ([emoji106]1:) or more like TOBS Sandalwood :)thumbdown)?
Be sure to get the matching FC Barbershop splash as well. It makes the scent last longer and it's full a skin food (also, no alcohol).

I have the FC sandalwood from the original artisan, and it's defintely a woodier scent, more like Proraso than TOBS. However according to their website, it appears the sandalwood soap might still be using the very soft soap formulation.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom