What's new

Ming Shi SS

Got these with my Futur Clone.
Put one into the razor I call "Lil Bastard". It's a Maggard MR6 handle with a head off a Chinese razor I have. Used Tiki Bar 1920's Barbershop for soap.
Got a good shave with it, but what I've rated other blades as NBFD (No Big F*@!ing Deal).
It's not going to replace my favorites or something I'd go & buy...but beats hell out of a Derby blade.
Have to see how it handles in the 2000s. So far that razor has been so good, it's changed my mind about Voskhod, 7 o'clock Black, and PolSilver.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Got these with my Futur Clone.
Put one into the razor I call "Lil Bastard". It's a Maggard MR6 handle with a head off a Chinese razor I have. Used Tiki Bar 1920's Barbershop for soap.
Got a good shave with it, but what I've rated other blades as NBFD (No Big F*@!ing Deal).
It's not going to replace my favorites or something I'd go & buy...but beats hell out of a Derby blade.
Have to see how it handles in the 2000s. So far that razor has been so good, it's changed my mind about Voskhod, 7 o'clock Black, and PolSilver.

Chinese blades are pretty decent such as the Yingjili X3 shaves & the Tianli blades X7 shaves. However, the Russian blades are way better especially, GSB blades. The 2017 Derby Extra I have are a good improvement over the older blades as in sharp & smooth.

I found the Ming Shi Super White to be very sharp in my ATT R1 - on the level of a Gillette Platinum or 7 O'Clock SharpEdge - but not very smooth nor particularly long-lasting. Maybe as smooth as a SuperMax or any of the lesser Rapiras.

I would agree that the best blades come from St. Petersburg, or from Japan.

My "everyday" blade is the Rapira Platinum Lux. I get a DFS from them in every razor I've put them in. I use Feather & GBS as my "special events" blades...when I need a BBS. Can get BBS from Rapira but with more work...2 or 3 passes with an events blades where the RPL, 3 or 4.
Also love Astra SP, Personna Red, Gillette Sharpedge, German Wilkerson & Dorco ST-300 to name a few.
The Ming Shi blades was so-so. Nothing impressive or that would put it in my top 10. Will have try it in the Futur Clone & see if it performs better. That razor has changed my mind about Voskhod, 7 o'clock Black, and PolSilver so far. The PolSilver was so good, I didn't need to shave for 2 days, so with the right razor, maybe the Ming Shi is better...not as good as the PolSilver, but better.

Top Bottom