What's new

Ming Shi adjustable 3000s on the bay

Italian barber site has an amusing disclaimer about the quality.
Lol, I didn't completely read the entry. As I mentioned, I already knew a TTO wasn't for me. Thank you for pointing that out @emwolf... That made my evening. It totally makes sense for them to warn people, especially at this price. It's still funny, though. [emoji16]

There's a post around here about an adjustable by Viking (emporer, I believe). That one seems to be much better quality. Also, it costs a lot more than this razor (maybe $50 or so?). Of course, at that price I imagine you can score something in a vintage Gillette.

I guess the Ming Shi probably still has the market cornered in the $10-15 range. Just listen to the IB disclaimer... caveat emptor.

Mine had a gap issue, I fixed it easily, I’m sure there are people that will be ok, if not, see my simple fix above. As I mentioned plenty of times here and elsewhere, great upper lip shaver, just as good as my Old Type on my upper lip and that is my best. Finish exceeded my expectations greatly as I paid just around $10 for mine on Aliexpress.

I can’t say personally that it is as good as my Slim, but it is a fine shaver and as they say, YMMV.

The first time I heard about such a defect. I have been using MingShi 3000 for a year now. I am the same young man from Russia who shot a video review on Youtube on this safety razor. Compared with my Gillette Slim Adjustable. There is no difference in shaving. Shave both safety razors equally.

I think mine it's just defective, i try to shave with it last saturday, and no luck, i adjusted the spring chage the setting... nothing, bad alignment, and bad shave, that's it, i'm done with this razor

Here's the disclaimer on the Italian Barber site:

**PLEASE NOTE: This is a very inexpensive adjustable razor that is made in China. If you are going to buy this razor, do NOT expect perfection both in finish and mechanics and set your expectations accordingly. If you are expecting an adjustable like a Merkur Futur or Rex you are sure to be disappointed by the Ming Shi. We want to give you this note of caution because we sold a lot of the other Ming Shi 2000s and they are built to be cheaper inexpensive adjustable razors; they are fun to use but clients expecting high quality will surely not be satisfied. Please take a pass if you are picky about quality.

Bump.

Eldest son bought me one of these .
Was not displeased with it.
Initially.
Set up to have proofing shave using known reliable products.
Alas. Came to inserting a blade (nacet) and the bloody thing is locked up solid. Nothing moves. Any ideas chaps?

What do you mean by lock up solid? - Does the handle turn it's maybe 3/4 range, which doesn't release the cap, if you're not familiar with the Futur, which its based on. (The cap pops off, in order to load a blade).

Just checking, I had a friend who thought it unscrewed, similar to a typical 2 piece razor, which is doesn't.

Hi cyberdog. Son bought it for me to use as a replacement for my slim.
The silo doors wont open. Adjusting collar rotates but nada regards them doors.

My bad too, I read this as 2000 and not 3000! - You have the Slim/Fat-Boy inspired model.

My 3000 has done that before, when I tightened it down, probably too tight, and then let it sit. I think the hot/cold cycles had it sort of stuck.

Get something to help with grip, rubber can opener grip or a micro-fiber towel. Hold the upper 2/3 of the handle really tight, and grab that lower 1/3 (its too pieces, but when snug appears to be a single barrel) and twist the lower portion counter clockwise. Once it breaks free the doors will open. It took serious effort to break it free, when I had over tightened mine, after sitting a couple of weeks.

Do NOT hold the head and twist the bottom (or upper) handle for that matter, hold the upper handle and the lower portion to free it.

Top man Cyberdog. Shes moving now , but its making an awful noise when turning. Deffo needs some kind of lube in it.

Top man Cyberdog. Shes moving now , but its making an awful noise when turning. Deffo needs some kind of lube in it.
I’d give some mineral oil a shot. Has been helpful on some vintage TTO’s that we’re getting a little sticky/squeaky on me.

Thanks Cyberdog everything is gravy now mate.
Gave it a shot of sewing machine oil and took it a spin. Jeez this thing is mild! Started off on 5 and had to dial it to 9.

Honestly, I'd rather spend ten bucks or fifteen bucks on a gillette tech from ebay than get something that might or might not work for half the price.

Last time i looked ive got about 4 techs. It was the eldest bought it because he knows im into wet shaving. To be honest id rather hed bought me one of those crazy looking yaqui razors.

Top Bottom