What's new

Ming Shi 2000s futur lookalike

I've been d.e. shaving maybe 4-5 years now I think. I've been overall happy with the concept but I've had an 'interesting' path and have never gotten 100 per cent satisfied with everything. (At it's worst it is about 8 times as good as multiblade or electric stuff). I've been through several razors and a lot of blades trying to find what's perfect.

I picked up one of these things about 4 months ago. It has instantly become my favourite razor - above my gillette slim. It is forgiving as anything and I can shave in ways I haven't dared to with my other razors. (I never shave against the grain on my neck for example - I can with this). I get a smoother shave quicker than I do with other equipment.

It does have negative points. Around the nostrils is more difficult due to the size for example. I use it on setting 4 - but need sharper blades than my usual in other razors. The shark stainless that are perfect for me elsewhere do not work here and the blades that I really hated elsewhere actually work. I can even use the dreaded swedish supersteels (which are a devil blade for me - horrible) in this and get a perfect shave with 2 and a half passes.

Other negatives: I can get 30 plus shaves out of a shark in my slim. I'm lucky to get 5 out of this razor from any blade I've tried. That's not a horrible thing but shows there is something working differently here.

It seems to have a lot of likes here - are there other comparable razors to it? (aside from the obvious merkur futur of course). More aggressive is not needed by me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I’ve never tried one but they get a lot of love here on the forum. I have the Futur in Gold and have used it for a week. Heavy razor but very hard to get under the nostrils. I’m glad you like yours, I have been thinking about getting the cheaper version. I still might.

I've got the QShave Futur clone, and it has become one of my favourites, once I figured out its quirks.
It is the most different of all my razors.
Other negatives: I can get 30 plus shaves out of a shark in my slim. I'm lucky to get 5 out of this razor from any blade I've tried. That's not a horrible thing but shows there is something working differently here.
Huh.
I had no problem getting 40 shaves out of a Feather, using the QShave at least half the time.

I've got the QShave Futur clone, and it has become one of my favourites, once I figured out its quirks.
It is the most different of all my razors.

Huh.
I had no problem getting 40 shaves out of a Feather, using the QShave at least half the time.
My guys would be that he uses the Future clone at a steep angle. That would explain both the preference for different blades and the feeling that the blade is done much sooner.
I would suggest trying to use the razor at a shallower angle and see what happens.

I recently bought one of these with five Ming Shi blades for A$13 - money well spent. This is the easiest safety razor I have used and gives a fantastic shave, I use the number 3 setting but could probably turn it up to four without a problem. In fact I might not want to go back to my other razor. I've only had about 3 shaves with it using the Ming Shi blades it came with. i don't know how the blade will last but so far so good.

I've only had about 3 shaves with it using the Ming Shi blades it came with. i don't know how the blade will last but so far so good.
If they're anything like the QShave Titanium blades (with no markings whatsoever on the blade itself) that came with my QShave Futur clone, then not very long.
I had to toss it after 3 shaves, I think. I'm the kind that thinks 25-50 shaves per blade is standard, and they don't get fully broken in until 5 or so shaves..
The weird thing is, the very first shave on the Titanium was the best ever, of any blade I've used. Sharp, but super smooth. Then it rapidly went downhill.
I'll have to try another one to see if it wasn't just a fluke.

I recently bought one of these with five Ming Shi blades for A$13 - money well spent. This is the easiest safety razor I have used and gives a fantastic shave, I use the number 3 setting but could probably turn it up to four without a problem. In fact I might not want to go back to my other razor. I've only had about 3 shaves with it using the Ming Shi blades it came with. i don't know how the blade will last but so far so good.

I think that's what I got mine for assuming that A is AU?

If they're anything like the QShave Titanium blades (with no markings whatsoever on the blade itself) that came with my QShave Futur clone, then not very long.
I had to toss it after 3 shaves, I think. I'm the kind that thinks 25-50 shaves per blade is standard, and they don't get fully broken in until 5 or so shaves..
The weird thing is, the very first shave on the Titanium was the best ever, of any blade I've used. Sharp, but super smooth. Then it rapidly went downhill.
I'll have to try another one to see if it wasn't just a fluke.

I used to go through blades quickly but slowly got my technique to the point where I could do 30 plus shaves per blade - and like you don't feel they are broken in for several shaves. I don't think my technique is at fault here, I use a shallow angle and let the weight of the razor (heavy) do all the pushing. I think there is something to the stiffness of the way the blade is held that both makes it both more effective and more prone to wearing quickly. This goes hand in hand with the extreme audibility while it cuts.

My guys would be that he uses the Future clone at a steep angle. That would explain both the preference for different blades and the feeling that the blade is done much sooner.
I would suggest trying to use the razor at a shallower angle and see what happens.

If i used it at a shallower angle the blade wouldn't touch the hair.

Top Bottom