What's new

Mineral Oil

Hey all. I'm about a month in and have a question about storage. My mentor gave me a straight so I could see what a REAL blade feels like. :) I had a Dovo Prima Steel which was my first. After being blessed with a JNAT base stone and a few Nagura, I set out to hone my first blade. I bought a Wade & Butcher eBay rescue and made it a very nice shaver. Then I got another inexpensive W.H. Morely & Sons to make sure it wasn't beginner's luck. That one's a shaver now too. With a little experience on different blades and their respective feels, I had a hankering for a 7/8 shoulderless model. I got a beautiful Ralf Aust with horn handles--and that makes 5.

So having a rotation now, any particular straight sits for 5 days before use. At first, after a shave I would dry with two squares of paper from the water closet--one for the blade, the other for the handle, inside and out & around the hinge pin. I would give the SR a day to fully dry while open on the bathroom counter; fold it up and put it in the coffin. That worked fine, but thought I'd take the forum's advice and oil them between use. I apply the scantest (if that's a word) amount of mineral oil and coat the blade, tang and finger hook.

Question is, is it standard operating procedure to wipe off the oil with a microfiber before use? I don't suppose there's any other way, but wanted to ask here.

How do your remove "storage" oil from your SR?

Thank you as always.

What is your climate? Mine is super-dry, so I don't need oil, and I store my razors in the open, so they can dry. When @rbscebu lived in the humid Philippines, he wisely kept his razors in a thing called a dry cabinet. It all depends on climate.

I'm in hot humid Florida.
Then it's either diligent oil application, or a dry cabinet. Personally, I'd go for the dry cabinet. Even after a thorough wiping, I feel the oil on the blade of the razors I hone on the Black Ark with oil. It's not really unpleasant, and I guess you could get used to it, but the dry cabinet seems like less work.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You are living in a hot and humid climate and I assume that your bathroom is not air-conditioned 24/7. Your SR's spend a few (2 or 3) days or more "resting" between uses (Dovo would love you 😄).

Here is what you do:
  1. Before putting a SR away, protect the steel with a thin coat of mineral oil (only if stored edge down) or petroleum jelly or Renaissance wax (follow the instructions).
  2. Just before the blade's next pre-shave stropping, wipe the blade with toilet/tissue paper to remove the oil/jelly (not required with Ren wax). Do not let the toilet/tissue paper touch the blade's edge. It is detrimental to the edge.
  3. Don't worry about any oil/jelly/wax left on the bevel. That will be removed during stropping and is beneficial to the leather.
Any questions, just ask.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My 30 litre dry cabinet in Cebu, Philippines. Purchased new from a discount photographic store in Manila for about USD 80 including shipping. They are available on eBay for about double the price.

IMG_20210313_092735.jpg
If you get one, get a digitally controlled model, like the one shown. You can thank me later.

Here is one on Amazon. It may not be the best value.

The humidity in my house doesn’t rise above 50%. The house is air conditioned unless I’m at work. I can create a near zero humidity micro environment with a zip top bag and packets of desiccant.

Just asking what is the best/preferred method to remove mineral oil from my blades.

I appreciate the replies, gentlemen.

I don’t even bother removing. A quick stropping and off to the races. First pass through the lather and rinse…gone. Mineral oil is the same as baby oil so nothing harmful to worry about. Cheers

Legion

Staff member
I’d wipe it off, if only to stop oil getting on your strop. A tiny bit on the linen is not the end of the world, but I wouldn’t want any to get into the leather.

I don't routinely oil my razors but when I do or get one with oil I use dawn dish soap and hot water to take the oil off before use. Dry then strop, I'd never strop an oily razor on my strop(s)

Thanks gents. I’ve been a hunter for many years and I don’t oil boots because I feel oil breaks down leather. My major concern with toilet tissue was the lint/dander it leaves. I’ll wipe off the steel with TP or microfiber and palm strip a few times before hitting the leather. I think that’s a reasonable plan.

Thanks again gentlemen!

Thanks gents. I’ve been a hunter for many years and I don’t oil boots because I feel oil breaks down leather. My major concern with toilet tissue was the lint/dander it leaves. I’ll wipe off the steel with TP or microfiber and palm strip a few times before hitting the leather. I think that’s a reasonable plan.

Thanks again gentlemen!
Sounds like a plan Sparky….I oil my straights as you do and when ready for use, I simply run water over the blade, wipe with tissue, give it a good shake or two, (with no one around and holding the razor firm) and then hit the flax linen first and then leather. Seems to work rather well.

Toilet paper.
Same here. That or a cotton hand towel. I don’t worry about wiping the edge too much but it’s nice to get the tang and jimps dry so you get a decent grip while shaving.

Currently using Ballistol. The 50ml bottle will probably last a lifetime.

I’d wipe it off, if only to stop oil getting on your strop. A tiny bit on the linen is not the end of the world, but I wouldn’t want any to get into the leather.
This is why I strop immediately after shaving and before oiling. You don’t want oil building up on your strop. It will attract all kinds of dirt and dust.

I used to use Ballistol on my 1911s years ago. I give credit to all who tolerate the smell. I put it somewhere between gym socks and black licorice.

Interesting stuff. It was used to both clean and lubricate firearm and treat leather since the early 1900s. Versatile stuff.

Top Bottom