What's new

Milling your own flour

My wife and I have been on a Keto eating plan, which uses alternative flours, such as almond, sunflower, flaxseed, chia and coconut flours (we have currently only used almond and coconut flour). I am considering getting a milling machine for flour, as the milled ones can get a bit expensive. Does anyone have experience milling their own flour and be willing to share their experiences? I am looking for machine recommendations, pros and cons, etc. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Have never tried this as i don't have the machine but i see/hear of people using a Vitamix for this job. Many other uses for a Vitamix as well.
dave

I have never tried it but I know WonderMill makes some. A relative of mine has the WonderMill mixer with many attachments and loves it.
If you have an opportunity to find out the pros and cons, I would love to know any details about the mill. I am looking into the WonderfulMill. Thanks!!

My local bulk foods stores sells flours cheap.

Takes a long time to recoup cost of a mill.

BTW, have a friend who keeps spare fridge in basement to store flour. Only costs $150 a year to operate. You can buy a lot of flour for $150.

Thanks for the comments. I have more research to do before I decide if it is worth it.

I have done more research and have come to a conclusion. A grain mill will not fit my needs. It is great for grains, but doesn't work for making almond or coconut flour. However, as previously mentioned by Farmer Tan, I can do these in a high powered blender. Since I already have one, I will give it a try in the future.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have done more research and have come to a conclusion. A grain mill will not fit my needs. It is great for grains, but doesn't work for making almond or coconut flour. However, as previously mentioned by Farmer Tan, I can do these in a high powered blender. Since I already have one, I will give it a try in the future.

Should work my friend. Keep us posted!

I hope to try this out in the very near future. I will post the results.

Top Bottom