What's new

Millennials

Ah, but does the school have a dress code policy? If so, that changes a few things. Parents sign up for those things, so they should know they have to follow the rules.
Agreed. I didn't want to derail this thread, or run us into a political ditch, so I've moved on. I'm sorry the kids' graduations were spoiled. I hope their families weren't too disappointed.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I feel that all generations have their pros and cons. I just felt like tossing some quotes in this thread:

"I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid." -G.K. Chesterton

"Be kind, don't judge, and have respect for others. If we can all do this, the world would be a better place. The point is to teach this to the next generation" -Jasmine Guinness

"Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it" -George Orwell

I thought everyone knew that...except for millennials. :biggrin1:

I have a quote from Mrs. Dempsey, who was about 70 years old at the time and the wife of the man who had the pasture we pastured my horse in when I was about 8 years old in the '60s, which was when you had to change T.V. channels by turning the dial on the set...waaaay before T.V. remote controls.

I don't have a clue why I remember this...except that I think she was a prophet.

"It's going to get where people are too lazy to even get up out of the chair to change the channel on the television."

Your call on whether she was a prophet or not.

Last edited:
I remember seeing a table mat some years ago that said "Quick, hire a teenager now while they still know everything"

"Be kind, don't judge, and have respect for others. If we can all do this, the world would be a better place. The point is to teach this to the next generation" -Jasmine Guinness

What a terrible thing to "teach to the next generation." We don't need less judging of others, we need a heck of a lot more of it.

Don't judge!! $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463349303.183707.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Group hug guys.

$grouphug.jpg

If this thread or something in it bothers you, report it, or PM me.
Leave the sniping at each other to the flame sites.

I teach high school seniors. Today was graduation. I yelled at a kid for showing up wearing no tie, blue jeans, and tennis shoes. I asked him how many times in the last two weeks had he heard me give explicit instructions on how they'd better come dressed. I know he has nice enough clothes because I've seen him wear them. It's not as if he couldn't afford it. He said this is what his mom picked out, and she thought it would be OK. I asked him who was in charge, me or his mom, and told him he better start acting like a man instead of checking with his mom to see whether or not he needs to go to the bathroom.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, parents don't prepare their kids for the realities of what will come. I can't count the number of times through the years when I lay out the facts to kids at the start of school ("If you don't want the truth, don't ask me question. If you want something sugar coated, go buy some M&M's.") only to have them shake their heads and tell me I'm wrong, then come back after about a year and say "You were right."

On work ethic, my favorite saying to students is this: The people you call "try hard" now are the same people you will call "boss" in the future.

Bravo.

I tend to think of the long used mantra of "don't judge me" is better said and interpreted as "don't condemn me." In other words, offering condemnation and a lack of mercy or compassion for someone whose beliefs or practices that don't align with yours.

In order to even attempt basic survival in this world, one needs to exercise sound judgment, which includes judgment of people and situations alike.

I tend to think of the long used mantra of "don't judge me" is better said and interpreted as "don't condemn me." In other words, offering condemnation and a lack of mercy or compassion for someone whose beliefs or practices that don't align with yours.

In order to even attempt basic survival in this world, one needs to exercise sound judgment, which includes judgment of people and situations alike.

I'll try to skirt the theological, philosophical, and political abysses (is that the plural of abyss?). You've highlighted a huge misconception in our culture. Judgment, discernment, value judgments, and moral decision making are all convoluted and confused. When presented with a decision, option A and option B are never of equal value or equal moral standing. One can avoid passing judgment on another, but still use discernment, value judgment, and moral decision making to conclude that the other's course of action is harmful. Because of this convoluted confusion, the concepts of tolerance, acceptance, and celebration have also been confused.

I doubt it's just a Millennial thing, but I've certainly noticed that quite a few Millennials have comic book views of very nuanced social issues. Since tolerance, acceptance, and celebration have collapsed into one, those who are not activists for "good" are, by default, "evil." Disagreement is "hate." Every little issue is Superman v. Lex Luthor.

The most interesting part is how lawmaking interacts with that. When you can force somebody to do something or not do something based on your personal discernment, things get much more complicated (and political).

Just try to lighten up folks. I took the video as just a cute and creative light-hearted swipe at millennials. I tend to not like stereotyping by generation, gender, etc. My 3 kids are millennials and they don't fit any of the common "stereotypes". But they would think the video was funny.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The video was funny, but I was mostly impressed with the fact that he produced all of the soundtrack by himself, pretty impressive by any standard.

After all these years, I am still amazed that most Boomers were ever able to learn from their kids the basic operation of a computer! Smart phones and Texting is still a work in progress.

$boomers.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom