Blade: none
Brush: Vulfix Badger
Soap: Stirling Piacenza

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Piacenza
Frag: none

The Shave-
Not sure what my funk was yesterday, but I shook it off. An early morning shave today and I did change up some of the kit. Piacenza got the nod today as well as the Vulfix. The soap was a nice change up and I may use it the rest of the work week. I grabbed the Vulfix just to have a Badger a bit smaller than the DSC. Hopefully my Yaqi will come in soon, I am really wanting to try that one. Typical load time this morning and I whipped up a really nice lather.

10 laps on cotton and 40 on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. A very nice shave and I am BBS for the win! Yup ... so much better than yesterday. I also had enough lather for a post shave lather while I cleaned my shave gear.

Finished the shave with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! A great start to the day, let’s kick this pig. Life is good!

168F13ED-7A75-4D12-965F-98943DB7ACD7.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 394 SE: 9 SR: 476)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Black Diamond SR
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: Stirling Hipster

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Hipster

The Shave-
Quick entry today. Had a great shave and I’m BBS for the win! Life is good!

C1915BE4-AD99-4F3C-B856-892544DFDF81.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 394 SE: 9 SR: 477)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: DSC Badger
Soap: B&M Hollows

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: B&M Hollows

The Shave-
I do so love a late morning shave, that means I got to sleep late ... yeah me! I may have forgot to mention that I am off work today ... there I mentioned it. On deck today is a set I picked up in a trade, B&M Hollows. I’ve never tried it before, scent profile makes you say ... hm, so why not? Went with a 20 second load time and probably could have gone to 30 with this bigger knot. It did whip up a nice lather and during the shave, I threw a bunch of water at it.

10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was an interesting shave. The soap had a somewhat mild spicy scent, but I couldn’t pick out an individual note. It didn’t seem to open up much when lathered, maybe after a few uses. When rinsing between passes my skin felt squeaky clean, I wasn’t picking up any residual slickness. So I threw even more water, but maybe it should have been product. Anyway I got the soap runny, but it still worked. The passes were smooth and without incident. After three passes I was BBS. I also had enough lather for a post shave lather while I cleaned my shave gear. It was wet, but not runny.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a splash of the AS and everything was right as ... WTH? Oh my! The first hit to my nose is a heavy decay type scent. Did this stuff go bad? It was new and unused with the factory seal. What the hell did I just smear on my face? On occasion I use my dog to see if she likes my AS. She turned her head before I got too close and she won’t get near me. I am writing this after a bit of dry down and the scent is changing. Some other notes have come to the front, but the decay is lingering in the background. Hm ... I’m not too sure about this one, we shall see. Life is good!

Here is a description I found. Maybe I’m just unsophisticated.

“The official scent profile is oakmoss, cedar, cocoa absolute, black pepper, labdanum and Sri Lankan vetiver. Some have described it as "chocolate covered death and decay." Dark, earthy, smokey and chocolately are some adjectives that come immediately to mind.

On top I get a sort of sweet, woodsy oakmoss... It mutates slowly into a green, peppery scent, but there's more going on here. The bite of pepper fades as the labdanum and cocoa absolute middle notes dance with the top notes. Towards the bottom, the Sri Lankan vetiver starts to grab you. This is not your happy, bright green vetiver. This version is deep, full-bodied and complex in its own right. Still green - but darker... Smokey, with definite wood/root notes. Once fully dried down, there's an underlying chocolately note present from the cocoa absolute.”

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 477)

Pre Shave-
Strop: none
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Wizamet (1)
Brush: Zenith Boar
Soap: B&M Hallows

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: B&M Hallows

The Shave-
Mixed the kit up a bit just because. I loaded more product and had a better lather going on today. Lost two hairs on the Zenith, but oh well. Very nice shave and I am BBS in three passes. Hit the AS for a splash today, not a glug, and everything was right as rain. I had to throw that in to keep Frank balanced. With just a splash, the scent is dark and complex, but not overpowering like yesterday. I could see this being a Fall scent. Life is good!

Happy Independence Day! Enjoy and stay safe!

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 478)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: Stirling Synth
Soap: SV 70th (sample)

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Florida Water

The Shave-
A great shave was had today. How is that for an opening? I grabbed a sample of SV 70th that was generously sent to me by Dave. I’ll just leave it at that because we have a bunch of them and I can use some Dave karma. Psych ... I don’t need any ... it was @Dave in KY. Anyway I also grabbed a synth, just because. Man I hope my Yaqi badger gets here soon. Went with a damp brush and whipped up a bunch of great smelling lather.

10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a really good shave and I’m digging the scent. @Maryland998 put a great edge on this razor and it still effortlessly takes care of business. Three easy passes and I am BBS for the win! Oh yeah! I also had more than enough lather for my post shave while I cleaned my shave gear.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I didn’t have the matching splash, so FW is my go to. Once I get the den reduced a bit more, I am going to have to pick up this set. Life is good!

Home Front-
Had a great day yesterday. It was a chill day. I masked up and scored the dogs some new beds. They were most excited. The kids came over and we cooked hamburgers, hot links and hot dogs. We followed that up with fireworks and we did social distance. Today lawn mowing and car detailing are on deck. Have a great day!

7051CE99-47C1-4B31-BF93-7FA295AC21D9.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 479)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: Semogue Boar
Soap: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: WSP Gaelic Tweed

The Shave-
Late morning shave today ... what ... what?! That’s right friends and neighbors, a late morning shave. This is a rare occasion, but when my Friday off is on a holiday I get to move it to the next business day. Today I grabbed the Gaelic Tweed and it was definitely the right call. The Semogue also got the nod. It’s a nice brush and should fit well in a pill bottle to be my travel brush (more on that in a minute). It did do a very nice job of whipping up the lather today. Man, I really dig this scent.

10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! Three effortlessly passes that were accompanied with a great scent. That was some goodness right there. Had more than enough lather for my post shave while I cleaned my shave gear.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I may have a limited audience, but a glug was in order. That’s the ticket right there. Life is good!

Home Front-
Rained overnight so no car washing today, my shade spot is muddy. Maybe in the next few days. So I have my soap sets divided into keepers and use but don’t replace. (I do want to pick up samples of WSP Mahogany and Old Kentucky. They sound interesting.) Got rid of the soap/AS that I won’t use.

And I think it’s time to thin the brushes a bit. The Semogue will be a travel brush and several will be pulled out of the lineup. Those may be trades or PIFs or something ... who knows. Then I may move into the razors for a bit of a reduction. I am eyeing a couple of DEs that may have to go. We shall see.

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 480)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: F Reynolds SR
Soap: Stirling Gentleman

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Gentleman

The Shave-
Early morning shave and it’s back to the grind. On deck today is Stirling Gentleman, which is a recent acquisition. The Stirling Boar also got the nod and it whipped up a really nice lather. I went with a damp brush and a 30 second load time, that was all it took.

10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. I am happy to report that because I took this razor back to the stones to fix my last, botched, touch up. This time I got it right and it did a great job. Those three passes were nice and easy, giving me a BBS for the win! I also tightened the hinge pin up just a tad while I had this one out. Oh ... back to the shave. Very nice shave and scent. Had more than enough lather for my post shave while I cleaned my shave gear too.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That’s how you start a day right there. Life is good!

Home Front-
A nice, long and enjoyable weekend. Didn’t get much done yesterday due to rain. But I did find time to clean up the F Reynolds. I also tried some Flitz on it, but that didn’t clean it up very good. Looks like I have more work ahead of me.

FD2F4CE9-55CA-47AD-99A2-FAF0018CDDAE.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 481)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: F Reynolds SR
Brush: DS Cosmetics Badger
Soap: Krokos

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Aramis

The Shave-
Just a quick update. Had a very nice shave today and I am BBS! I’m not sure about the AS, it stays on the skin kinda heavy. We shall see. Life is good!

4FB27A3B-D746-4B5C-BB7F-C04BDF6C75E5.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 395 SE: 9 SR: 483)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Henckels SR
Brush: Graydog Boar
Soap: Ethos Succes

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Ethos Succes

The Shave-
A quick update. Crazy busy work week, but I have managed my early morning shaves. Broke out the fancy gear and had a great shave today and I think this knot will break in just fine. I don’t do the fridge thing, I just use it. I am off work and done. Got a couple of nice Ribeyes to throw on the grill this evening. Life is good!

8048666A-028F-46D8-9B99-CA2262431856.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 396 SE: 9 SR: 485)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Three Ranners SR
Soap: LNHC Barber Shoppe

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: LNHC Barber Shoppe

The Shave-
Nice shave this morning with my first SR. This is a Swedish Three Ranners that was a sight unseen purchase from WhippedDog. It’s a nice razor and heavier than my others. Looks like it needs a bit of cleaning. Hm ... ok gotta go.

Shave Count (DE: 397 SE: 9 SR: 485)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Wizamet (?)
Soap: CC Venture

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: CC Venture

The Shave-
Early morning shave today and I was a bit pressed for time, so the Gillette got the nod. I also kept the same boar brush and grabbed the CC Venture ... just because. The soap whipped up a lather very quickly and I added water as a went. I have probably mentioned that I dig the scent of Venture, I just would like it a bit stronger with more longevity.

Went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a very nice, easy peasy shave and I am DFS for the win. I did miss a smidge by my Adams Apple. I also had enough lather left for a post shave lather while I cleaned my shave gear. Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! It’s gonna be a good day. Life is good!

60931868-59EC-4762-9F2A-0FE55936128F.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 397 SE: 9 SR: 486)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: H Diamond SR
Soap: Stirling Executive Man

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Executive Man

The Shave-
Early morning shave today with a hard landing. No blood ... yay me! I am also BBS for the win! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 398 SE: 9 SR: 487)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Torrey SR
Soap: Haslinger Marigold

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Florida Water

The Shave-
I am off work today so I started it off with a late morning shave. Changed up a bit of the kit today and decided to have some fun with the Marco Method. Basically that’s a very wet brush and a lot of soap loading. I think I loaded for about 65 seconds and continued to throw water at it throughout the shave. My gosh that was a bunch of lather and a lot of fun.

I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a good shave, but a little off. The blade didn’t feel like it was removing stubble like it should. And it wasn’t. Luckily the ATG pass brought it all home and I am BBS for the win! Oh my did I have some lather left. More than enough for a post shave lather while I cleaned my shave gear.

Finished up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! A great start to the day. Life is good!

6988FA3F-AE50-4C2E-9EC4-D588A33CA4D7.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 399 SE: 9 SR: 487)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Soap: Mike’s Natural Barbershop

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Clint

The Shave-
Great shave today. Went with the Marco Method again ... messy fun. I am BBS and smelling great! Life is good!

Top Bottom