What's new

Milkcrate's Musings

Today is scruffy Monday. Stupid DST, I woke up way late and had to scramble to get to work.

Grrrrrrt, scruffy days suck. Can I still say woke? Or has that been misappropriated?

D60403BD-F45D-4D28-9EF8-DC61D14298F9.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 315 SE: 2 SR: 327)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Semogue boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Since I missed my morning shave yesterday, I almost shaved last night to keep the streak alive. But alas, I am a morning shaver. Anyway, it's all good and was well worth the wait. Back to Proraso Red to see if I can finish this up. The Semogue also got the nod today, just to give it something to do. Went with the typical 30 second load time and added a bunch of water. I whipped up a lot of really wet lather and it was nice. Very nice. Man, I dig that Sandalwood scent.

40 laps on the leather this morning and it was go time. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a fantastic shave! Had a lot of slickness from the Proraso and the Dovo made really quick work of that two days of growth. A very comfortable shave and I am BBS for the win! That's how to start a day right there. Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I am almost "That guy", but I don't think I quite made it there. No worries, I smell great though. Ok let's see what this day has in store for us. Life is good!

Home Front-
Typical busy work week and it sounds like they may be piling more on us soon. My thumb is still a bit sore from shooting that nail into it on Sunday. Luckily it was only an 18 gauge nail and it only went in about 1/4", so minimal damage. Short week with Friday off. Man, I can sure use a long weekend. The only plans I know of at the moment are for Saturday. My stepdaughter is getting married. Oh and some car work to do on Sunday, but I think that's it so far.

Shave Count (DE: 315 SE: 2 SR: 328)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Semogue boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Happy Hump Day! It is Wednesday and the week is half over (or a bit more if you are off on Friday). Still rocking the same kit and trying to put a dent in this Proraso Red. A quick 30 second load time with a wet brush and the Proraso is good to go. I guess the Semogue is breaking in ok, it doesn't shed and it's starting to get that bed head look. And yup, I still dig the Sandalwood scent.

40 quick laps on the leather again today. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Another great shave in the books and I am BBS for the win! Had a lot of lather going and it was slick enough to take care of business.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and towel dry. A healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Simple .. easy ... consistent. Life is good!

Home Front-
Not really anything new to report yet. I think I may have forgot to mention that we have tickets to CATS the musical on Saturday night. So it will be a full day. I think that's all I have.

DB8C9606-07B1-4AB8-9DF2-20944E5B4F7E.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 316 SE: 2 SR: 328)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP
Omega Pro boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The process-
TGITHMY! That's right boys and girls, it's a short work week and I am wrapping it up today. I did mix the kit up a bit with another razor and brush ... just because. The Omega Pro did a great job and with a 30 second load time whipped up a bunch of lather. Threw a lot of water at it and never had an issue. I also now have a hole punched in the Proraso, so it's on the downhill slide. Just a matter of time.

Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was an awesome easy peasy shave and I am BBS for the win! Don't know how many shaves are on that Astra, but it can still get the job done. Man that was nice.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Really nice shave to wind down the work seek and I smell awesome. Life is good!

Home Front-
You guys already have the straight dope, so I don't have anything new to report. Other an than our temps just plummeted with a cold front moving through ... yuck.

Shave Count (DE: 316 SE: 2 SR: 329)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Stirling boar
MWF soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
A AS

The process-
Late morning shave awesomeness today! Mixed the kit up again ... just because, and starting the weekend random. The Fat got the nod today. There is just something about this soap. Nice light scent, easy to build lather that is slick and the post shave feel is nice too. You can follow this up with any AS and I like that versatility. Stirling boar was the go to brush and I cannot say enough good things about this brush, I really dig it. It whipped up a ton of wet lather and it was awesome.

40 laps on leather while the water was warming. Went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! That was another great shave and the Dovo didn’t disappoint. I think it still has the original film edge I put on it. Maintenance has simply been the leather strop, no balsa. Nice ... very nice!

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! oh yes it was! That’s the way to start the day. Man I smell awesome.Life is good!

Home Front-
Weekend plans are laid out, as you know. Nothing planned today, it’s just a bum around day. I really needed that. I also received some shocking news. My wife doesn’t care for the Avon Oland or the Florida Water. What?! She said “They are ok ... stand over there.” Her sniffer must not be working right. Hm. Well folks, that’s the straight dope as I know it.

E49D30E3-D315-4D14-90D9-6CEFABC252DE.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 316 SE: 2 SR: 330)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Renolds SR
Stirling boar
MWF soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Aramis AS
Frag- Aramis

Home Front-
Smoothed this razor out a bit yesterday, but it needs more. It will shave and I am DFS for the win! On may way to a wedding ... help me.

0239B6A1-AA97-4203-96A3-32295F34B892.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 317 SE: 2 SR: 330)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Wizamet blade
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

The Process-
Late morning shave today and it was nice ... very nice. The Gaelic Tweed hasn’t seen much action lately, so it got the nod. As did the Vulfix Badger. I can’t believe the brush actually didn’t shed this time, maybe it’s finally done. Whipped up a really nice lather and got to work.

I thought I would break out the Senator. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was an outstanding shave and I scored an easy peasy BBS for the win! Yes ... yes ... and yes! Man that was a good shave.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. Followed that up with a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yes it was! Man I smell great too!

Home Front-
Yard work and honey-does today. That’s all I got

Shave Count (DE: 317 SE: 2 SR: 331)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega Pro Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The Process-
A quick shout out before the details of my shave. I would like to thank our veterans for their service and sacrifice for our country!

For some reason I woke up a tad earlier than normal, so there is that. Back to the grind today and the Proraso Red grudge match continues. I have seen the bottom of the tub, so the soap is now on the ropes. It's only a matter of time, but it's going down. So I grabbed the Omega boar for my shave today and it took care of business. Lather started out kinda weird, I guess my brush was a bit dry. But throwing some water at it perked it right up and I worked up a nice lather. And you know I dig the Sandalwood scent.

40 quick laps on the leather this morning. I also went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Very nice shave and for a brief moment, I thought I was BBS. But alas, upon the dry down a found just a smidge on the jawline that I missed. I was robbed I tell you, but a DFS for the win it is! Still a very nice shave. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. Followed with a health splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Very nice start to the work week. And did I mention that I smell great? Life is good.

Home Front-
Got the honey-does did this weekend and all the boxes were checked. Didn't get a chance to play with the edge on the new to me Reynolds SR, but I will. I also have a razor that I am sending out to Alfredo for a JNAT edge. I am not falling down that rabbit hole, just curious about the edge. That should go out tomorrow, once the PO opens back up. I will keep working with my own stones because I have every intention of mastering them. I think that's all I have at the moment.

Shave Count (DE: 318 SE: 2 SR: 331)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Wizamet blade
Omega Pro Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The Process-
Brrrrrrr ... man it is cold out today after that front blew through. Having to adjust my wake up schedule due to changes in traffic patterns. Yuck ... that means getting up a bit earlier. Gotta do what ya gotta do, I guess. Anyway still knocking down this Proraso, I but did grab a different razor for today and the Senator got the nod again. I am thinking about another hardware mix up for tomorrow as well. Went with a 30 second load time and whipped up another nice lather. Still digging the scent too.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. A great easy peasy shave and I am BBS for th win! Yup ... I'll take that any day of the week. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. Then a generous splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Another great start to the day and I smell great! Life is good.

Home Front-
It's cold ... I got nothin'

Shave Count (DE: 318 SE: 2 SR: 332)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The Process-
I was a tad slow moving this morning, just due to the temps in the house and having to watch Chris' video. Also a bit of a change up today in the hardware department, but I am still beating down on the Proraso Red. And ... I am gaining ground. So today I grabbed the Semogue, just to pound on it some more. I may have already mentioned that it is starting to develop bed head. Not sure what I think about that, because the brush is the newest in my collection and hasn't been used as much as the others. Hm. Anyway, I ran it wet this morning and it whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great.

40 laps on leather and it was go time. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Had a very nice shave and I am DFS for the win! I missed a touch on the jawline again, but still a great shave. The Dovo is still maintaining it's edge well without any paste touch-ups. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yes ... yes it was. Man, I'm still digging the Sandalwood.

Home Front-
Not much to report yet ... still cold here. Sent the Henckels out to Alfredo yesterday and can't wait to try that JNAT edge. It's Wednesday so the week is half over ... yeah me. Normal work week and no hard plans for the weekend yet. Life is good.

Shave Count (DE: 319 SE: 2 SR: 332)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Wizamet blade
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The Process-
I needed to leave a bit earlier today, so I opted for a faster shave and switched out the razors. Kept the same brush and ... ya know ... the soap. Love the Proraso Red, but it's going down. Just to thin the herd and all that. Kept the normal 30 second load time and with a wet brush whipped up a really nice lather. Yup, I'm still digging the Sandalwood. Brush is developing "bed head" and I'm not to sure about that. But for now, it's working well, with plenty of splay and backbone.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. I cannot praise vintage Gillette enough, I just get outstanding shaves from them. Easy peasy shaves indeed. This was another awesome shave and I am BBS for the win! I am also really impressed with the Wizamet blades. I have no idea how many shaves are on this blade, but it's a few. I normally have to pitch an Astra SP after 5 shaves. I know I have gone well past that with the Wizamet. Very nice blades that are share am smooth right from the beginning. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! That was an awesome shave and I smell great.

Home Front-
Still nothing much to report ... just winding down another busy work week. Trying to get a few projects wrapped up by EOD tomorrow. However, I did have something pop up on my schedule for Saturday, so there is that. Oh ... and I may have forgot to mention that I have a few late morning shaves coming my way. I have next week off for a little stay-cation. Life is good.

Shave Count (DE: 319 SE: 2 SR: 333)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Semogue Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The Process-
Happy Friday to ya! So I am winding down the work week and wanted to finish stronk. What better way than with an SR? Kept the rest of the kit the same ... just because. And the Proraso is almost done. I think one more heavy load and that should be it. It's been some great shaves and Proraso Red will always have a place in my rotation. Plus you can get it at TJ Maxx, Marshalls and Burleson for less than $5, what's not to like? So ... onto the shave. I did load a bit heavier today with about a 45 second load time and I threw a bunch of water at it. Man, I had some lather goodness going everywhere. The soap did well, which I expected and it didn't break. And you know I'm going to tell you it smelled great too.

40 laps again on leather this morning and it was time to get down to business. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a fantastic shave and I am BBS for the win! Yes indeed, a very nice start to the day. I have been changing up my strokes a bit just to see if the changes yield any difference and so far I haven't found any. I am going to stop doing that because my shaves seem very consistant already. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. It's Friday, so I hit it for a glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! I am so ready for this day!

Home Front-
Kinda the same as yesterday, wrapping up things at work. I may have a new team mate shadowing me today, so trying to knock this entry out quick. I think I now have plans to go look at another horse on Saturday. Possible dinner with mom and my stepdad on Sunday. And then a much needed vaca next week. I will probably get the stones out and bang on a couple of razors too. And if the weatherman is right, it should be nice next week. Life is good.

FD75D1F0-EEBF-41E8-A435-8F50CEC545E2.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 319 SE: 2 SR: 334)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Stirling Boar
Stirling Triumph soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Stirling Triumph AS

The Process-
so ... random shave today and it was nice. Triumph got the nod today because ... reasons. A 30 second lad time and went with a really wet brush. Had a bunch of sloppy lather goodness going on and that was nice.

Forgot to hit the leather today, but I’m not sure if that would make a difference. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Good shave ... not awesome but good. The edge needs a bit of a touch up, but I am DFS for the win! Think I’ll hit this one on the balsa and see if I can perk it up.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yes it was! I really dig Triumph aStirling did a great job with that scent.

Home Front-
Got an email from Alfredo that my razor is headed home. That was a quick turnaround. Looked at a horse today, not sure but I may buy it. I should also have hay coming tomorrow. We have our 1 year old granddaughter having a sleepover, so no honing tonight. Luckily I have all week to get that done. Life is good.

Shave Count (DE: 320 SE: 2 SR: 334)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Wizamet blade
Stirling Boar
MWF soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Florida Water AS

The Process-
Needed a quick and easy this morning, so the DE was back on deck. Love the vintage, they just work for me. And The Fat ... man The Fat rocks. Hit it with a really wet brush and the lather just exploded. That was some sloppy goodness right there. Stirling did a bang up job, but did shed one hair.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. An outstanding shave right there. I don’t know how many shaves are on this blade, but it is still going strong. It delivered a smooth, sharp shave with ease. Oh ... did I mention that I am BBS? Oh yes I am.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! A great shave and I am ready for the day. Life is good.

BB0085BC-4027-45D2-B662-40920CFD9A26.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 320 SE: 2 SR: 335)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
DSC Badger
CBL Patchouli soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Nivia ASB

The Process-
Freakin’ afternoon shave today, don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining. I was waiting on the Henckels to get home, but the scruff was driving me nuts. So the Three Ranners got the nod because I haven’t used this one in a long time. This was my first SR. It’s Swedish and a sight unseen from Whipped Dog. This thing originally arrived very sharp. But it was a bit harsh, which helped me learn technique real quick. Larry can hone a sharp edge. Over time it mellowed and dulled. I freshened it up on film awhile back, but set it aside. CBL Patch got the nod today and it didn’t disappoint. Also grabbed the DSC to make a mess. The 30 second load time was really too much, even with this brush, but it’s all good. I probably had enough lather for a full body shave, but that wasn’t happening.

No leather today, I just went straight to the shave. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a really nice shave! It really checked all the boxes and I am DFS for the win! I missed a bit around the Adams Apple. The razor is silky smooth now, but I want to touch it up just a bit more. I want to maintain the smooth, but pull a bit more sharpness out of it. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a pat dry. A smear of the ASB and everything was right as rain! Yup, that was a very nice shave and I’m glad I grabbed this razor.

Home Front-
Just kinda goofing around today enjoying life. Made some room on my shave shelf so the misses could put her soaps up there. I’m nice like that. She may move her stuff back, but I offered. May play with some razor edges today, we’ll see. Life is good.

Top Bottom