Shave-
Torrey SR
Zenith boar
SC Vetiver and Vanilla soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Florida Water AS

The process-
Random kit today and a late morning shave. Loaded the soap for 30 seconds and and whipped up a nice lather. But I broke it with too much water and had to reload for the third pass.

A quick 25 laps on balsa and 50 on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Scored a BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Good shave, but I get a better post shave feel with Stirling or MWF.

Home front-
Was invited to a cookout today and we are in. A kinda lazy weekend with rain Friday and Saturday. Got 2.5” in total. Before the rain on Friday I picked up several 60lbs bag of sand. The last one I picked up the wrong way. I tweaked my back and have been slamming Advil ever since. It should sort itself out in a few days. That’s all I have at the moment. Life is good!

2DE5BE3D-635D-4278-B938-57575C92BBA9.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 304 SR: 278)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Boker SR
DSC badger
Krokus soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Nivia ASB

The process-
Random kit all the way. I haven’t used the Krokus in awhile, so it’s on deck. It’s a nice soap with a light pleasant scent. I wouldn’t usually have something like this in my collection, but I picked it up in a trade. The DSC made quick work of the lather. At 20 seconds I had a ton of bubbly lather going on. It stabilized and whipped up a ton of lather. I could have shaved twice with the lather I had. The Boker got the nod today. There is just something about this razor, it usually bites me. I just get it close to my face and BAM!

To freshen it up, a quick 25 laps on balsa and 50 on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Great shave and the razor didn’t bite me today. I am BBS for the win! Nice ... very nice!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the ASB and everything was right as rain! That was a pleasant shave. The post shave feel is not as hydrated feeling as others, but it’s not bad. It doesn’t feel dry. Nice, light and smooth. I’ll take it.

Home front-
Just bumming around today. I have to help my brother work on his car. Other than that, no plans. We’ll see what the day holds. Life is good!

15893C81-C3CA-4CC9-B562-095B84B6A374.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 304 SR: 279)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Zenith boar
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
WSP Gaelic Tweed ASB

The process-
So a new work week and an new scent. Starting this week off with Gaelic Tweed and it's been too long. The rest of the kit that got the nod is listed above. Loaded the soap for 30 seconds and that was more than enough. The lather started off with lots of large bubbles, but settled down quickly. Brush was a bit wet, but didn't cause any issues. It whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great!

50 laps on leather this morning and it was go time. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Shave felt normal for the most part but for whatever reason, I still have some irritation on the left side of my neck. Maybe it's from the heat ... or not. This morning I walked away with a DFS for the win! I must have been shaving with one eye open and missed a bit around the Adam's Apple. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and dry down. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yes it was! Man, the alarm clock went off way too early this morning but the shave was worth it. I really dig this scent and I'm ready to take on the day.

Home front-
Abmornally short week with a holiday on Monday and I am taking off on Friday. So I'll have to see what work I can cram into 3 days. Nothing on the personal horizon for the next three days. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 305 SR: 279)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette NEW LC
Astra SP
Zenith boar
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

The process-
Hit the snooze button too many times this morning ... oops. So to speed things up a tad, the NEW got the nod. Hit the soap with a fairly wet brush and loaded for 30 seconds. This once again started out very wet and bubbly but settled down quickly. It worked into a really nice lather and there was plenty for the shave and post shave.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. That was an outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! Man, these vintage razors just take care of business smoothly and efficiently. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and dry down. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! You know it was, a great shave makes everything better. I am smelling great and ready for the day.

Home front-
It's hump day for me as I have a really short week this time around. Lots of work work to do in even less time ... fun stuff. Anyway, plugging along to keep the lights on. The recent rains seemed to have driven ants into the house, so we are fighting them in various rooms as they show up. Luckily they are not fire ants. I think that's all I have at the moment. Of the new scent releases from cblsoaps.com I picked up the Patchouli. Man I can't wait for that to arrive. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 305 SR: 280)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Boker SR
Semogue boar
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

The process-
TGITHMF! Mixed up the kit a bit, but kept the soap/AS combo to wrap up the work week. Once again loaded the soap for 30 seconds and whipped up a really nice lather. And you know it smelled great! The Semogue is still not as soft as the Zenith, but I imagine it will get there. Surprisingly, the Zenith was soft right out of the box. Anyway, really nice lather with enough for a 3 pass shave and a post shave lather.

A quick 40 laps on leather and I was ready to go. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Another outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! This razor is a lot more enjoyable than when I first honed it up on film. Originally it was crisp, really keen, but not harsh and it bit me most times that I used it. And it bit the hardest of all my razors. My technique must be improving a bit because it is still crisp, keen and smooth, but it's been playing nice. A real pleasure to shave with. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick dry. A glug of the AS and everything is right as rain! Oh yes it is! Clean shaved and smelling great, today is mine! Let's do this!

Home front-
Wrapping up the work week, but may end up having to bring work home for the weekend. Also anxiously awaiting the new Patchouli soap from cblsoaps.com to arrive. Man I dig Patchouli. Yard work is on deck for the weekend, but I don't know of anything else. Life is good!

For your listening pleasure ...

Shave Count (DE: 305 SR: 281)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
PermEdge SR
Omega boar
CC Venture soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
CC Venture AS

The process-
I am off work today, so it was a late morning shave. Was kinda goofing around with this one and tried a few different things. Filled a vintage scuttle with hot water and let the brush soak while I had a cup of coffee. Went with a 30 second load on the soap and got after it. Whipped up a nice lather that smelled nice. I rinsed between passes and think I actually lost some slickness with the amount of water I used.

40 laps on leather and I was ready to go. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today was a good shave, but not awesome. I walked away with a DFS for the win! I’ll take that. Not sure if it was me goofing around or my head wasn’t in the game today. I know this razor will deliver and I once accidentally had this soap super slick. Anyway ...

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick dry. A splash of the AS and everything is right as rain! The post shave feel is a bit different than some soaps, but it’s nice. The scent is pleasant also. I don’t know if my preferences are just changing or if something is just ... missing. Not sure, but once gone I won’t reorder. Life is good!

B5C187B9-9A35-414E-920B-65D5B06F9FF1.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 306 SR: 281)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Slim
Astra SP (1)
Zenith boar
MEF soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Florida Water AS

The process-
Late morning shave ... oh yeah! My Slim hasn’t had any attention lately, so it got the nod today. Also reached for the MWF. I really dig this soap! Light scent, that can be followed with anything and an awesome lather. Loaded it for 30 seconds, just because I can. Whipped up a ton of lather and got to it.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. An outstanding shave! No need to chase BBS, it sought me out and ran at me with open arms. Yes ... I am BBS for the win! That’s what I’m talking about right there!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick dry. A glug of the AS and everything is right as rain! That was some good stuff right there ... I dig it. Using the MWF, your options are wide open. But today I spiced it up a bit with Florida Water. That was a great shave to start the weekend off! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 306 SR: 282)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Boker SR
Semogue boar
Stirling Glastonbury soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Stirling Glastonbury AS

The process-
Late morning shave ... check!
30 second load time ... check!
Ample lather for shave and post shave ... check!
Let’s do this.

My neck had some irritation before the shave. Not sure if that was the shave yesterday or the 103 actual temp while I was mowing. So I went with a two pass shave of WTG and have no drama to report. I need that third pass for a BBS, so today I walked away with a DFS for the win! I’ll take it.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick dry. A splash of the AS and everything is right as rain! That’s all I got. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 282)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP (2)
Vulfix bader
Stirling Executive Man sample

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Nivia ASB

The process-
Ew ... Early morning shave. Didn't hit snooze this morning, so I had plenty of time. However, I still opted for the DE because I am still sporting some irritation. It feels better today, but still very noticeable. Anyway, back to the shave and the Slim got the nod today. Broke out my sample of Stirling Executive Man, because I haven't tried it yet. Grabbed a badger brush and loaded the soap for 30 seconds. The soap smells great and loads easily. Had plenty of lather for the shave and post shave as well.

I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. When shaving today the irritation was very noticeable, but I took my time and was rewarded with a BBS for the win! That is a great way to start the work week. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick dry. A dab of the ASB and everything is right as rain! I dig the scent of that soap. Man ... Stirling sure does have some winning scents to choose from. Looks like I will have to add that to my list of future purchases as well.

Home front-
The week is just starting, so I don't have anything of interest to report. This is my normally scheduled short week, so there is that. Life is good!

12F5D9C0-78B2-4096-B7D7-743A1F548D89.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 283)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
DSC badder
CBL Patchouli

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Nivia ASB

The process-
Woke up without hitting snooze again today. Hm ... something must be wrong. As you know, I usually run with the same scent for a work week. Decisions, decisions ... I'm trying this new Patchouli. Couldn't help myself, I dig the simple straight up scent of Patchouli. The only point of reference that I have is comparing this to the SC Patchouli and Nanny's that I have had a samples of. I used them up so I have to go from memory ... oh boy. So let's get to it. The scent of this soap is nice ... I dig it. It is a bit lighter than the Stone Cottage, but CBL takes the edge in all other areas. From what I remember, I think the scent strength is probably on par with Nanny's. Grabbed the DSC with every intention of making a wet mess. Loaded for 30 seconds and that was more than enough. The lather just exploded as I added water. My goodness I had a lot of lather and I'm sure I had enough for two shaves. The wet mess was nice ... really nice! I won't get into the performance of the soap as most of you are familiar with CBL already.

The irritation on my neck has faded away and it's time to get back on the straights. Went with 50 laps on leather this morning and it was go time. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Outstanding shave and I am ... wait a minute, what the crap? I am DFS+ for the win! That was not on the soap, that's on me. I missed just a smidgen on my jaw line. Man that was a really nice shave and I cannot believe that I missed that little bit. That's twice with this razor, it may need a bit of a touch-up.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water. Before the dry down and the ASB, I was checking out the post shave feel and it was really hydrated feeling, slick actually. (I didn't find the spot I missed until driving to work ... don't ask) A pat dry and a dab of the ASB and everything was right as rain! That was a great shave sans my oversight. Man I dig it and I'm glad that CBLSoaps.com brought this scent into the lineup. It is also missus approved. I think I may have to make a DIY Patch AS, as I do love a matching AS. Now to find a recipe ...

Home front-
It's a short work week ... yay! The home front is quiet for the moment, just making a to-do list for the weekend. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 284)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
Zenith boar
CBL Patchouli

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Nivia ASB

The process-
Decided to hit the Patchouli again today. Did I mention that I dig Patchouli? Anyway, mixed up a bit of the gear and got to it. Stayed with the 30 second load time and the boar was running a bit wet. I really like this brush, I think it's my favorite of the few brushes I have. Whipped up a ton of lather again, but not quite as much as the DSC badger.

Went with 40 laps on leather this morning, just because. I also went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Another outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! Yup ... nailed it. I had forgotten that this razor needs a bit of work. I need to tighten the hinge pin just a bit. It's plenty sharp, but I may still hit it on the balsa this evening as well. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A bit of the ASB and everything was right as rain! Very nice shave and a great start to the day. Let's do this.

Home front-
Moving into the home stretch now. Life is good!

8A6B45A8-DC12-443E-9316-FEE07C4872B8.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 286)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
PermEdge SR
Zenith boar
Stirling Triumph soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Stirling Triumph AS

The process-
Happy Friday the 13th! I had an afternoon shave and it was glorious! Gather around while I spin this tale of wonder! Today Triumph got the nod. I know I’ve mentioned that the Zenith is my current fav, so it got the nod too. Hit the soap for 30 seconds and got to work. Started with a wet lather which whipped up nicely and man oh man ... that scent. Plenty of lather to go around ... it was fantastic! For me, Stirling is elite status.

40 laps on leather for the PermEdge. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. That’s where it was brothers and sisters ... that’s when the magic happened. I am BBS for the win! That’s the money shave right there! Oh yeah!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A healthy glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Truly glorious I tell you! Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 287)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Omega boar
Mike’s Natural Barbershop soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
GTB AS

The process-
Late morning shave and we are off to a good start. A bit sore, so grabbed some Advil before the shave. Today sounded like a good day for Barbershop. Mike’s started a bit pasty, but a little water fixed that right up. The Omega made quick work of it and I had a really nice lather whipped up. Nice light, pleasant scent as well.

I did something a bit different with the razor prep, which I’ll explain in a moment. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The best thing I can saw about the shave was that it was smooth. Other than that ... it sucked. I got a crappy SAS shave. Grrrrrr ... starting my day with 5 o’clock shadow sucks arse.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A healthy glug of the AS and everything still sucked arse! At least I smell good. Grrrrrrr.

Home Front-
So trying to work on my edges with the stones and doing a ton of reading. Everything I’ve read says 8-10 laps on the 12k. 20 laps max or you can over hone and get a harsh edge.

When I honed the last two razors, I didn’t count laps just honed until they got sticky. I did that through the entire progression, even the 12k. Yup ... seemed a bit harsh. But I must have done something wrong this time because 20 laps on 12k, 20 laps on linen and 40 on leather sucked!

Oh well, live and learn. Life is good!

A6B42BC3-91F1-405F-B4C3-59009B5E2DE3.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 288)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
PermEdge SR
Omega boar
Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Florida Water AS

The process-
Late morning shave ... you know it. Mixed up the kit today and MWF got the nod. Used a heavy wet brush and loaded for 30 seconds. Started out a bit heavy but kept adding water and whipped up some awesomeness.

40 laps on leather and I was ready to shave. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. OMG ... that was an awesome shave! The complete polar opposite of the crapfest yesterday. Oh ... and I am BBS for the win ... oh yeah!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A healthy glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! That’s what I’m talking about right there! Life is good!

7AD3DF1B-D8E0-4FFA-A578-49278285A2F5.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 289)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Omega 48 boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The process-
So back to the grind and early morning shaves. Actually got up a few minutes before the alarm today, so had plenty of time to enjoy a shave. I haven't used the Proraso in a while and Sandalwood sounded really good for the week. Kept the Omega just to put some shaves on it. Ran the brush wet and hit the soap for 30 seconds. This whipped up a really nice lather that smelled great. I had plenty of soap for my shave and the post shave.

40 laps on leather on the J Allen and I was ready to go. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Had a great shave on a fresh, smooth edge and I am BBS for the win! Nice ... very nice!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Oh yeah it was. I really dig this sandalwood scent and it is missus approved. That was a really nice shave to start off the week and I am ready for the day. Time to grace the workplace with my presence.

Home Front-
Since I was off my feet yesterday, I decided to goof around with the stones and the J Allen. So I hit the razor for 20 laps on the Naniwa 12k. It was sticky so I assumed it was good. It also tree topped nicely. Then went with 50 laps each on the .25 and .01 balsa strops. My oh my, that produced a nice and sharp edge that was really smooth. Most excellent. I'll have to work on some of the other razors a bit later. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 307 SR: 290)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Omega 48 boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

Just I quick entry today. I kept the same kit and probably will all week. I had another great shave and I am BBS for the win! Oh and I smell great!

Nothing to report on the home front. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 308 SR: 291)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Omega 48 boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Proraso Red AS

The process-
TGIF! Man, missing yesterday's shave really sucked too. I felt grungy all day. Struggling with a snooze button ... ah first world problems. So anyway back with kit I started the week with. Wet brush and a 30 second load time and it was on. I whipped up plenty of lather for the shave / post shave and it indeed smelled wonderful. I'm really debating on whether or not to just keep using the Proraso Red (during the week) until it's gone. It's a tad less than half full. My first soap I used 7 days a week, but now I'm kinda digging having different scents to rotate through.

A quick 40 laps on leather this morning and I was ready. I went with my standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Oh man, that was a great shave! I took my time (but not too much) and really just enjoyed the moment. That straight just mowed down yesterday's growth with ease. Oh ... and I am BBS for the win! Nice ... very nice! I feel normal again. Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a drip dry. A gluf of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yup ... that'll do. It's amazing how much joy can be found in the simple things in life. I am clean shaved and ready to wrap the week up strong. Let's hit it!

Home Front-
So ... got my new Nemosine Fountian pen in yesterday and the build quality looks nice. It feels solid and well-built and besides, who could resist nickel plated brass? I will be using this an a Pilot Metropolitan for my introduction to fountain pens. Slight oversight on my part, but I didn't order any ink for my first pen. So I'll have to see if I can take care of that today. I tend to write small so hopefully the fine nib will work for me. What else do I have going on? Not much planned at the moment, so we shall see. Life is good!

Top Bottom