Splash and go

Shave-
Solingen SR
Graydog Synth
Sudsey Soapery Citrus & Bay soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Sudsey Soapery Citrus & Bay ASB

Another very nice today. I did skip the ASB. I may have had it heavy but it felt greasy most of the day yesterday.

Home front-
Wrapping up this conference today and should be home in time for a late dinner. Life is good!

CCB8D5C0-1C4D-4D80-8588-075383CBA12B.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 220)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Semogue boar
Nanny’s Silly Soap - Patchouli sample

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Avon Clint AS

The process-
A late morning shave and it was rather lackluster. I went random today and mixed everything up. The soap didn’t work well for me today, but I may not have put enough in the copper bowl. It was thin, but wet when shaving. Looking back, I needed more product.

Tried the new stop today and it worked well. I thought both strops were the same size, but the Tony Miller is wider. Just to satisfy my curiosity I will have to measure. Did 20 laps on cotton and 50 on leather. The cotton is stiff, but will break in over time. The leather is nice and subtle. Nice feel with maybe a light to medium draw. I will need to pay more attention next time. Less audible feedback than the SRD on this use. Went with a two pass shave of WTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. The lather wasn’t very stable, but I was pig headed and didn’t load more. Lather felt like it started drying, but adding water made it worse. Ened up with an SAS that I am not happy with. Oh well, there is always tomorrow.

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. Overall a disappointing shave, but I smell great!

Home front-
Back at home. Unfortunately it looks like I’ll be working from home today and tomorrow. That bites! Wife had a procedure on Tuesday that I was really stressing about. I was stuck at that conference and couldn’t get out of it. The procedure went well and she is home and seeing improvement. Life is good!

4217D0A3-5FCB-40D4-BAAE-5E7A86A23089.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 221)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Henckel SR
Zenith boar
Stirling Glastonbury Soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Stirling Glastonbury AS

The process-
A late morning shave and it was much better today. Got everything lined up and dialed in. Very nice shave with a 30 second load time and cranked out a really good lather. So far I really haven’t picked up on the Patchouli in this soap. To me it’s a really green smell. Nothing wrong with it though.

Hit the Henckel with 50 laps on the TM strop and it was go time. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. A nice sharp razor, a slick soap and I am BBS for the win! That’s what I’m talking about right there!

Wrapped everything up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. That really makes up for the shave yesterday.

Home front-
Had a bit of work work this morning. Now a few errands to run and mowing the yard. After that fun, I have to work this evening. It is what it is. Life is good!

76A66329-C777-4D0D-A4D9-BDF2D1DC90B5.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 222)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix badger
CFG Sherlock Soap

Post Shave-
Lather
Warm water splash
CFG Sherlock AS

The process-
A late morning shave and it was awesome! Gonna be another hot humid one today with t-storms rolling in later. So I thought I would go with something light and uplifting ... so I grabbed the Sherlock. 30 second load and cranked out a really nice lather.

50 laps on the TM plain vanilla and it was go time. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. An outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a post shave lather, splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. Man I smell great!

Home front-
Got done with yesterday’s work about 1:00a this morning. Took the car in for routine maintenance today and they even detailed the car. Now I smell great and am looking sharp! Have some more errands today and we may have company this evening. Life is good!

923969DD-3191-42FF-B073-29C56E5F5712.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 223)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vie Long horsehair
Williams Soap

Post Shave-
Lather
Warm water splash
Avon Oland AS

The process-
Just a quick update today. The horsehair works well with the Williams. Very nice shave and BBS for the win! Life is good!

45FCADC4-3D56-4AF6-BFD0-CBF8DAF6218D.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 224)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega boar
Proraso Red Soap

Post Shave-
Lather
Warm water splash
Proraso Rdd AS

The process-
Ewww ... early morning shave. But, such is life on the hamster wheel. Actually only hit snooze once this morning and had plenty of time for a shave. Thought I would hit on the Proraso a bit this week. After initially trying the VDH, this was the second soap that I picked up and it has served me well. I can get it slick enough for a DE or an SR shave and I love the scent. 30 second load and whipped up a really nice lather. Threw a bunch of water at it and it never broke.

Hit the Dovo on the TM Old #2 strop for 50 laps. This is a really nice fast strop with a light draw. Buttery smooth. This one had several people try it before me, so it is well broken in. It is a bit lighter and faster than my plain vanilla. Not sure yet if that is the leather treatment/processing or that mine hasn't been broken in yet. We'll see. Either way, I still like the draw on the plain vanilla. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. A very nice shave this morning and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a post shave lather, a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. That is my favorite Sandalwood scent right there. Man, I smell great! I have a tub of Fine Santal that also smells really good. I'll bring it into the rotation once this Proraso is finished off.

Home front-
Not much to report yet. It was a productive weekend and I sure this week will be as well. Life is good!

Last edited:
5705F4E8-12B1-4DDF-AECF-D7E5A110C735.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 288 SR: 225)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Torrey SR
DSC badger
Proraso Red Soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Changed up the razor today for Torrey Tuesday. I also changed up the brush and OMG. Went with a 30 second load and could have gone a lot less. That brush just exploded with lather and kept building the more water I added. I really had enough for 6+ passes, but stopped at 3. Good stuff right there.

Hit the TM Old #2 strop for 50 laps and it was go time. I'm kinda digging this wider strop, no X stroke required. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. Another very nice shave this morning. Not quite as good as yesterday though and I may freshen this edge up this coming weekend. However, I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped everything up with a post shave lather, a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. You know it ... and man I smell great! Look out world, here I come.

Home front-
I got squat. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 225)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Psycho
Astra SP (1)
DSC badger
Proraso Red Soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Was a bit pressed for time today, so I grabbed a DE. On deck today, the Gillette Psycho. I have been real hesitant to use this razor. I was not worried about losing the NOS status, but more worried about buyers remorse. At the end of the day, it's a fat handle Tech. Since I was shaving with one eye open, I loaded the brush too heavy again today. That's not an issue during the shave because it cranks out a ton of lather. All you have to do is keep throwing water at it. The overloading just seems wasteful.

Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. Nice shave with the razor. Not awesome, but nice. I think my angle was a bit off in areas and I missed a bit on the jawline. We'll call that a solid DFS for the win!

You know how I wound this one down. A post shave lather, a splash of water and a towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. Still digging the scent. This was a good choice for the week. So ... do I have buyers remorse? ... Maybe.

Home front-
Got a shave mail in yesterday and it was the small lot I had won on ebay. It had a couple of old brushes, but I think these are the ones a barber brushes hair off with. I didn't want those. A few straights and a vintage DE. I'll have to get some before and after pics, because these are definitely to be restored. My wife was interested in the package and she seemed equally excited as I looked through my score. She said things like: What?! Really?! What the...! Are you serious?! I guess really that could have gone either way, but I am going to assume that it was sheer excitement. That's all for the moment. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 226)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Zenith boar
Proraso Red Soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

The process-
Changed things up a bit again. The DSC brush is nice and cranks out a ton of lather, but I started using Proraso Red with a boar brush and that just seems right. So with that said, I grabbed the Zenith. Backed my load time down to 20 seconds and that worked nicely. Still had a ton of rich lather for shave and post shave, without any waste.

Hit the Dovo again with 50 laps on the TM Old #2. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. Nice ... very nice! In spite of the morning hustle, I had a relaxing shave and I am BBS for the win!

Wrapped it up with a post shave lather, a splash of water and a towel dry. A health splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. Smelling great and ready to tackle another day.

Home front-
I don't think I've mentioned it much, but I have been using the Tony Miller Old #2 this week. I initially compared it to my plain vanilla, but that doesn't have enough use yet for an accurate comparison. I do like both strops. The Old #2 has a faster, lighter draw and it is really nice. I will be packing it up today to send back and then will be giving the plain vanilla a run. I did do a little cleaning on one of the new SR's last night with Mothers. It cleaned up ok, but still needs work. It was one with the light scales and wasn't so rough. Most of the makers mark is gone, but I believe it is a Sheffield. I may play with the other one tonight, just to give it an initial cleaning. Had the DE in the ultrasonic cleaner and under all that corrosion is rust. What the ...? Guess that one's not brass. I may get more aggressive with that and see if I can find the makers mark. That's all I have for now. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 227)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed Soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

The process-
Changed a couple of bits today. But looking back, I see I have been changing things all week. Decided to end the week with a different scent and reached for the Gaelic Tweed. Man I really dig this scent. I was loading soap too heavy earlier in the week, so I dropped my load time down to 20 seconds. Cranked out some awesome lather ... man oh man.

Packed up the Old #2 to send it on it's way last night. So today I hit the Dovo with 50 laps on the TM plain vanilla. The plain vanilla is not as fast and has a bit heavier draw. It leans more towards light-medium. There was a touch of graininess to it also, but I also heard that mentioned about the Old #2. I am speculating that it is just the wax put on the strop when processed and will not be a long term issue. Good stop though, I'm liking it so far. Went with a three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. I have no drama to report. Zip ... zero ... nada. That was a great shave and I am BBS for the win! Oh yeah!

Quick wrap up with a post shave lather, a splash of water and a towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. Outstanding! Happy Friday indeed!

Home front-
I have done a light first pass on two of the new razors, just using Mothers. These are the ones with the lighter scales. They will both need more work, but I think they might be ok. I haven't touched the rougher razors yet, but they may not be salvageable. They have old and active rust, which is not good. I might have to get the bench grinder on them. Will try to work on them this weekend, but may be working on my truck as well. Aside from that, just mowing planned for the weekend and probably bringing some work home. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 228)

Pre Shave-
Shower and go

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vi Long horsehair
SC Vetiver and Vanilla cream

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

The process-
Afternoon shower and shave after mowing the yard. Did a weekend random shave. Thought I would try the Stone Cottage again and it worked very well. It’s labeled as a cream but has a consistency more like a croap. Went with a 20 second load time and that was plenty. Thought I would see if the horsehair would play nice today and it did. I loaded the brush counter clockwise because the brush is weird like that. It splayed well and cranked out a bunch of lather.

Stropped the Dovo and used tha standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG. That was a very nice shave and I am BBS for the win! Wrapped up with the usual and everything is right as rain! A great shave always brightens my day.

Home front-
Yard work, honey-do’s, errands and taking the day as it comes. Life is good!

0EA9914A-29B4-4A90-9331-F4D9F15CF0A3.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 229)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Vulfix badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Mudder Focker AS

The process-
I was really conflicted this morning about my soap choice. I wanted to try the soap from Hawaii, but I opted to wait. I want to get some sample containers in case anyone wants to try this one. So ... what to choose. I haven’t used MF in awhile, so it got the nod. 30 second load time that started out loading very bubbly, but settled down. Plenty of slick lather for a 3 pass shave and then some. I didn’t care for the scent of this soap at first. I put it in a drawer for awhile and then came back to it. Now I’m digging it.

I thought the edge on the J Allen was fading on me and was about to freshen it up on the stones. But I decided to hit it on the linen strop for 20 laps and then 50 on leather. That perked it right up. Three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Tried a slightly different ATG stroke and it paid off. That was an outstanding, buttery smooth shave and I am BBS for the win! Wrapped up the shave with a healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! A really awesome shave and I smell nice.

Home front-
In addition to mowing and the other fun stuff this weekend, I had a chance to work on the Permedge and clean it up. Round one on the razors was knocking off the chunky stuff. This was round two to try and wrap it up. It’s not 100% pro, but I’m happy with it. Next up, the W&B. Once I get all the razors cleaned up, then it’s off to the stones. For those watching at home, this was #0000 steel wool, Mother’s Mag and wheel polish, and time. Lots of time. But I took the least destructive path. Life is good!

BCA90DE3-6386-48A3-BA82-62D5BE28DDEC.jpeg

Last edited:
Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 230)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Vulfix badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Mudder Focker AS

The process-
Had a really great shave yesterday and I haven't used the Mudder Focker in awhile. So I thought I would keep using it the rest of the week. Dropped the load time down to 20 seconds and still had plenty of lather to work with. Three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Tried that slightly different ATG stroke again today and it works well. I may have to adopt that into my shave permanently. Another outstanding, buttery smooth shave and ... wait for it ... I am BBS FTW! Wrapped up the shave with a splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Yup, that's the ticket right there. I am ready to start the day.

Home front-
So ... last weekend I got into chiggers. I don't react well to those bits and I'm still treating them. This past weekend I got into fire ants. My gosh whoever imported these pests should be smacked about the head and neck. With Independence day coming up I have a three day week, which is awesome! But will be crazy busy with the same workload compressed into three days. Of the four straight razors I picked up in that bay lot, I am keeping three: the PermEdge, W&B and the Wosty. The last razor is a Torrey, but it's in a really bad way. I will probably trash it, I don't even think it is worth a restoration PIF. I think that's all I have at the moment. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 289 SR: 231)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
J Allen SR
Vulfix badger
Avon Clint soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Avon Clint AS

The process-
The RR Mudder Focker is nice and all, but today I needed something a little more direct. Something that says I could grab you by the throat and squeeze hard ... really hard. Not really JK. But I wanted something maybe darker? I have just the thing, the Avon Clint. Man I really dig this scent. I think the soap I have may be a hand soap, but I broke it out anyway. I produced a good looking lather with a 30 second load time. It is slick enough to shave with, but a modern butter laden soap it is not. Using the badger brush, I actually had enough for 3 passes and a post shave lather. It did try to fade on me while shaving. Not dry up, just fade away some. So maybe more product tomorrow. And the soap scent ... come on man it's Clint.

50 laps on leather and then go time. Three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Had to speed up a bit due to the fading, and ... you know ... stuff, but it was manageable. Not a super awesome BBS today, I missed some on the jaw line and a bit on the Adam's apple today. But a solid DFS for sure. I'll take it. So there ya have it, this soap can be used for shaving. It's not super snot slick for anything. It's just a soap ... a great smelling soap. Wrapped up the shave with a healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Man oh man ... let's hit it.

Home front-
The only change is I'm busier. Life is good!

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Gillette Old Type
Astra SP
Vulfix badger
Kaimu Shave soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
Thayers WH

The process-
TGIWMF! Started out by grabbing the J Allen, but I was running late, so I grabbed the Old Type instead. I was really close to keeping the Clint at least one more day, but thought I would wrap the work week up with something new and different. Today was a good day for the new Hawaiian soap that I received as a PIF. This Kaimu soap is a Peppermint Orange blend and is nice. Scent in the tub is there, but not overbearing. I just get the Peppermint from the tub and so did the wife. I was also warned not to use a nice white boar due to the activated charcoal. Given that the soap is black, that's a good call. So I grabbed the soap this morning and when I opened it something looked off. What?! ... it was used. The missus took it for a test drive first, so I'll have to ask for her impressions tonight. She is welcome to any soap I have, but she normally stays with her Maca Root or CC 45th Parallel. Anyway, when I lathered it the initial bubbly lather was a dark gray. I went with a 30 second load time and as the lather built and stabilized it did turn a dull white. I will note that I had a very slight tingling, but it stayed very slight with no other reaction. The scent did increase a bit during the shave and I could pick up the orange every once and again. The orange is not sweet, but nice. There was another scent I could pick up but couldn't identify. I don't know if maybe it was one of the butters, but I think it might have been. Anyway, it was just different but not unpleasant. The soap had good slickness and residual slickness and rinsed cleanly. I ran a fairly wet brush, rinsed between passes and it didn't affect the lather stability at all. I have enough lather for 3 passes and a post shave lather.

My standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Man oh man that was a truly outstanding shave. I get my absolute best DE shaves with that Old Type. It is just an effortless and efficient razor. Oh ... and did I mention that I am BBS FTW! Great start to the day. Wrapped up the shave with a splash of the WH and everything was right as rain! That was all I had to work with, I ran out of Nivia ASB and have not replaced it yet. But given the WH has a slight lemon scent ... why not. A very nice shave with a respectable scent level that's not "in your face" so to speak. The peppermint is not obnoxiously strong and that is a plus. This could be a plus or minus depending on where you stand. But the soap scent is very fleeting. Once your shave it done, so is the scent.

Home front-
Just wrapping up a crazy busy week. Then a long holiday weekend. Life is good!

9921BF56-9948-4B65-B741-53942DC42BF5.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 290 SR: 232)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Boker SR
Vulfix badger
CC Venture soap

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Warm water splash
CC Venture AS

The process-
Happy Independence Day! There’s been lots of Tabac talk lately, so what should I shave with today? Mmmmm ... let’s go with CC Venture. Ran the brush a bit wet. Went with a 20 second load time and whipped up a really nice lather.

Stayed with a standard three pass shave of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Great shave and I am BBS for the win! Wrapped up the shave with a healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! You know it. Very nice shave and scent to celebrate the day.

Home front-
Today is the start of my long weekend. Today is also family, friends, food and fireworks! Life is good!

Top Bottom