What's new

Milk Stout

Can anyone recommend a good milk stout? I have tried many, but I am always willing to try others. I like River Horse Oatmeal Milk Stout, but that is a seasonal brew here in Maryland. Lancaster's isn't bad either.

I have tried more crappy ones rhan good ones. I am hard pressed to pour a beer out even if I don't like it, so I have started mixing tthe bad ones with milk. Call me crazy but it tastes really good. I figure if the brewer can make ut with milk sugars, I can try it with the real deal.

Has anyone else done this?

Left Hand's version is my personal favorite. I have seen it in MD before, but only at places with huge selections.

If you can find it try Mackeson XXX. My friends wouldn't stop talking about the stuff. I'm not the beer connoisseur and this is the only milk stout I have tried but it lived up to the hype. Quickly became one of my favorite dark brews. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it for quite some time.

I really enjoy Left Hand's Milk Stout. I doubt you can get Brau Brother's Moo Joos. I don't think too high of Brau's but people like it.

I brewed my own Milk Stout and its delicious.:D

If you can find it try Mackeson XXX. My friends wouldn't stop talking about the stuff. I'm not the beer connoisseur and this is the only milk stout I have tried but it lived up to the hype. Quickly became one of my favorite dark brews. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it for quite some time.

+1 to the Mackeson.

The reason it is called a milk/cream stout is it is sweetened with lactose. Yeast covert most sugars to alcohol but cannot convert lactose.

My favorite is Duck-Rabbit Milk Stout. Terrapin Moo-Hoo Milk Stout with Chocolate is another good one, and both should be available in MD. Bell's Cream Stout is another favorite. Sometimes Milk/Cream stouts are too sweet for me so I will mix them with another stout. My favorite concoction is a 1/2 Terrapin Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout + 1/2 Terrapin Moo-Hoo, locally its called a Wake-N-Moo.

I haven't tried many milk stouts, and I haven't been too impressed with any of the ones I have tried. I think my favorite was Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

I have yet to try any Southern Tier stouts though. I hear they are fantastic.

I haven't tried many milk stouts, and I haven't been too impressed with any of the ones I have tried. I think my favorite was Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

I have yet to try any Southern Tier stouts though. I hear they are fantastic.
\

Their 2X Stout is not as sweet as most milk stouts, but that's kind of what makes it a winner for me.

\

Their 2X Stout is not as sweet as most milk stouts, but that's kind of what makes it a winner for me.

To go slightly off topic, as much as I love Southern Tier brews their Oatmeal Stout has to be the worst I have ever tasted. What on earth did they do there?

This Thread reminds me of..........

$TSBMUDDERS-MILK_500.jpg

;)

Top Bottom