What's new

Mildly Scented Soaps

What do you do when you blind buy a soap based on others' high raves, but it ends up you can hardly smell anything? This just happened to me again! Drat! Obviously, I don't like mildly scented soaps, but I end up having some I'm trying to make work. Might try to sell them, but that's a hazzle. Or sometimes I use a stronger scented aftershave I like. That seems to work. Or in a few cases I might use the same scent of the soap in an EDT, so I can at least get the mild scent to be deeper and/or last longer. What do you guys do? Or am I the only one this happens to?

Interesting!

For me, scent is secondary to performance when it comes to soaps. Others value scent more highly.

Good to have tons of great options! :thumbup: :thumbup:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I prefer milder scents. I don't mind the scent of a soap being noticeable, but don't want it to be intrusive and distracting. I want my awareness primarily focussed on the sharp blade on my face, and not have some face hugging scent demanding my attention like a spoiled child.

There are some things you might do.

The original purpose of scent is soaps was to disguise the smell of the soap to make it more pleasant. Soap scents were not usually strong like a cologne, so a mild scent was the norm.

You can add scent to a soap. If you have an EdT that you like, you could use that. Or you could use essential oils mixed with a carrier oil.

Another thing you can do is mix soaps that have compatible scents. Take a strongly scented soap and mix it with a weakly scented soap to end up with something that is closer to what you want.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
What do you do when you blind buy a soap based on others' high raves, but it ends up you can hardly smell anything? This just happened to me again! Drat! Obviously, I don't like mildly scented soaps, but I end up having some I'm trying to make work. Might try to sell them, but that's a hazzle. Or sometimes I use a stronger scented aftershave I like. That seems to work. Or in a few cases I might use the same scent of the soap in an EDT, so I can at least get the mild scent to be deeper and/or last longer. What do you guys do? Or am I the only one this happens to?

What was the soap in question? Just curious. You may want to create a post specifically to get more than one member's opinion on it. Scent is very subjective. What one person thinks is fantastic, another person might be impartial to or even dislike.

There are some things you might do.

The original purpose of scent is soaps was to disguise the smell of the soap to make it more pleasant. Soap scents were not usually strong like a cologne, so a mild scent was the norm.

You can add scent to a soap. If you have an EdT that you like, you could use that. Or you could use essential oils mixed with a carrier oil.

Another thing you can do is mix soaps that have compatible scents. Take a strongly scented soap and mix it with a weakly scented soap to end up with something that is closer to what you want.
I actually did add an EDT to a mild soap about a year ago and it didn't make a speck of difference, so haven't done that since. But thx for the tip about mixing soaps. I've done that a time or two.

What was the soap in question? Just curious. You may want to create a post specifically to get more than one member's opinion on it. Scent is very subjective. What one person thinks is fantastic, another person might be impartial to or even dislike.
Murphy and McNeil Nantahala. The soap base was perfect as advertised, but both the soap and aftershave I could hardly smell. The next day I used a Crann Bethadh soap sample from the same company with almost no smell as well. Don't really want to fault the company. It seems that's the way some companies do their soaps and maybe my skin or sniffer is different than other people. I have their Kells and love it. Both soap and aftershave have a solid medium scent for me.

There was a time that I preferred strongly scented soaps. Now I have come to prefer lightly scented soaps and choose a cologne or EDT for the day.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I prefer milder scents. I don't mind the scent of a soap being noticeable, but don't want it to be intrusive and distracting. I want my awareness primarily focussed on the sharp blade on my face, and not have some face hugging scent demanding my attention like a spoiled child.

This! And beyond this, nothing worse than a strongly scented soap that offends my nose. I'd rather have unscented than a scent I don't like.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
One of the contradictions we face being as involved in this as most of us are, is that we run across scents, particularly soaps and aftershaves, that we really like very much. And we would like those scents to be strong and maybe even to last a while...maybe even throughout the day. But the truth about soaps and aftershaves is that they're really not supposed to be overpowering or strong to the point where they actually can last that long. But that doesn't stop us from trying to find products that fit that bill. And sometimes we do. Many producers have gotten wise to this "market desire" if you will. And because the producers make stuff that does deliver strong/long-lasting scents...we're now able to find products that work that way. But lots of product still adhere to the original design of having a nice scent, but it's neither strong nor long-lived...just quite nice in the moment.

I have a number of M&M soaps. I think Kells is the strongest/longest-lasting scent of theirs I have. Neither a positive or negative. But, my Nantahala (kodiak) is right up there with other soap scents (like Stirling) in terms of strength. But I will say that noses are different.

I'm much more interested in performance than scent, in fact I mostly prefer unscented soaps altogether. If I want a scent to follow me around throughout the day I'll use a good aftershave. That said, a soap with exceptional performance that also has a scent I like would be maybe the best of all worlds.

performance over scent for me. All of the Haslinger soaps perform at a high level and have mild scents, which makes them among my favorites.

and only the Aloe Vera scent is tolerable to me, mild as they all are. I love their performance enough that I just picked up 3 tallow pucks to have on hand, despite the new formula being so good. another fine example of the YMMV phenomenon.

I like mildly scented soaps, or even unscented. Haslinger milk is a good example of a nice powdery milky scent, but the performance is very good. Palmolive stick has a mild scent, but it last quite a bit. I like it.

Top Bottom