What's new

Mildest Blade?

Give the Black ones a try....very nice blades. My favorite out of the 7 O'clock range.

View attachment 1279590
Wow 🤩 you were right!!
These blades are 95% like Polsilver 👍🏻
At a fraction of the cost!
They are equal in comfort…90% as efficient! Awesome budget choice!!
Thank you!
76E92B81-4064-4440-9457-438D20566250.png

Wow 🤩 you were right!!
These blades are 95% like Polsilver 👍🏻
At a fraction of the cost!
They are equal in comfort…90% as efficient! Awesome budget choice!!
Thank you!
View attachment 1293847

Glad they work for you. I have been using them trying to save my Polsilver blades. I find them to be close as well.....not quite, but close. A very nice blade that works well in all my go to razors.

While a very sharp, well made blade can be "mild," I think that would depend on the razor it is used with, as well as whether the shave cream causes irritation with a rapier-sharp blade.

So, to me, this question equates to: What is an idiot-proof blade that is gentle, smooth, and doesn't slash and burn your face, regardless of razor used?

And the answer, which most folk here won't like because the blade is dirt cheap, is the Laser Ultra triple coated blade. In the 10+ years I have been using it, it has always provided a pleasant shave, with absolutely consistent quality.

It is not the sharpest blade, though, and some razors need a really sharp blade to shine. And it doesn't last long, typically about three shaves. If you want a one and done blade, at this price, this is the way to go.

I use the Laser Ultra to test new razors and shaving creams because it is such a known entity. If you can't get a good shave with this blade, consider changing razors. Seriously.

However, I have other, sharper, more efficient blades that I use more often. To me, a well-made very sharp blade can also be mild, provided you mate it with a well-designed razor.

Frankly, I do not use fancy-smelling shaving soaps that irritate my skin, so I don't have the problems with sharp blades some people seem to have. And I don't use the ultra-aggressive razors some people brag on -- don't need them with a good blade.

So, to me, the terms "mild" and "smooth" for razor blades are kind of meaningless. A well-made very sharp blade is also mild and smooth, in my book, used skillfully. Some people nit pick over the smoothness of stainless blades, vs. platinum or titanium coated. To me, that is only a momentary difference. What matters to me is if my face is irritated say, a half hour after the shave. I have used blades that do this, but not for long. They are in a box at the back of a drawer. Some of them are big name blades that are highly touted here, which makes me wonder if some of these folks have ever used a truly good blade, or just go along with the crowd.

If you can get a close, smooth, efficient shave with a blade, it doesn't matter what the blade costs, even if it is a cheap blade with no reputation -- it is still a good blade. You can spend 8x the price, but how much closer can you get than "close" -- without causing serious irritation?

I could be perfectly happy shaving with Laser Ultras every day for the rest of my life. However, I have several blades I like better.

But since you ask about "mild" blades, I thought I would throw this in the hat. The Laser Ultra triple coated blade also would make a great choice for someone starting DE shaving, perhaps with a DE89. They will never want to go back to cartridges.

I have recommended this blade before. This will be the last time I mention it. I figure recommending a blade three times or so should be more than enough. I don't want to seem like a tout. If you are interested in a particular blade, why not do a search of the archives?
OK, I tried the Laser Ultra blade. You're right...they are MILD! They could be the mildest blade I've ever tried. They make the Derby seem like the Feather! 😂 The only problem is that they are so inefficient (just like the YouTube reviewer said!) that they are totally useless! After 4 or 5 passes I could still feel stubble! But, you're right...I asked for mild, and you gave me Mild...with a capital "M"! ;) Luckily, I didn't get any irritation (despite non-stop buffing)...but after a while, I just gave up :a52:
1625795747795.png

I am distressed to hear that you did not like the Laser Ultra Triple Coated blades. In fact, I am more than distressed, I am upset. And surprised. I was absolutely certain, when you said you had ordered some, that you would love them! I am very surprised, indeed!

Never have I had a shave with a Laser Ultra like the one you described. It makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the blades you received. Perhaps they were some old stock that were stored under bad conditions. The photo you posted of the tuck you received looks like an old version.

I wonder if you would do me a favor and look on the back of the tuck?

Does it still say: Made in India, Laser Ultra Shaving, Inc., Hyperadad?

Could you please tell me the date it was packaged, and the MRP?

While you are at it, please tell me the UPC code, if it is not too much trouble kind sir, as there have been problems with counterfeiting of razor blades of good name with otherwise excellent reputations.

I urge you to send a complaint to the manufacturer's email address, printed on the side of each tuck.

Have you asked the seller about getting a refund for selling you defective merchandise? You should, and tell us who it was so we can avoid doing business with them in the future. Judging from comments on this site, this has been a serious problem.

Of course, I would be happy to send you some of my blades, which I know are not defective.

It was very nice of you to spend your money trying these blades. But I am very unhappy, now. They had never let me down before. And everyone I talked to in India who uses them raves about them as being most excellent. If their quality has gone down, perhaps because some outside company, like P&G, has snapped them up, that would make me very sad. I am getting really depressed now to learn that one of the few blade manufacturers I trusted has let someone down. Is there no honor left in the world?

Please help me get to the bottom of this.

Thank you for your kind and generous assistance.

Last edited:
I look at the topic and understand that I made the right choice for myself. I use old pre-war blades. It's a carbon blade, which means a folded straight razor. I don't like modern stainless steel blades at all. Fortunately, they can still be found new, although many do not want to spend more on them than modern ones are worth.

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_163455 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210504_163455 (2).jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 13
I am distressed to hear that you did not like the Laser Ultra Triple Coated blades. In fact, I am more than distressed, I am upset. And surprised. I was absolutely certain, when you said you had ordered some, that you would love them! I am very surprised, indeed!

Never have I had a shave with a Laser Ultra like the one you described. It makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the blades you received. Perhaps they were some old stock that were stored under bad conditions. The photo you posted of the tuck you received looks like an old version.

While you are at it, please tell me the UPC code, if it is not too much trouble kind sir, as there have been problems with counterfeiting of razor blades of good name with otherwise excellent reputations.

I urge you to send a complaint to the manufacturer's email address, printed on the side of each tuck.

Have you asked the seller about getting a refund for selling you defective merchandise? You should, and tell us who it was so we can avoid doing business with them in the future. Judging from comments on this site, this has been a serious problem.

Of course, I would be happy to send you some of my blades, which I know are not defective.

It was very nice of you to spend your money trying these blades. But I am very unhappy, now. They had never let me down before. And everyone I talked to in India who uses them raves about them as being most excellent. If their quality has gone down, perhaps because some outside company, like P&G, has snapped them up, that would make me very sad. I am getting really depressed now to learn that one of the few blade manufacturers I trusted has let someone down. Is there no honor left in the world?

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Laser Ultra Triple Coated blades! Unfortunately, I gave the blades away to a friend who likes very mild blades. But, I will go over after dinner and take photos of the box. Don't pay attention to the details in the photo above. That's a stock photo!
As for lodging a complaint, requesting a refund, etc. to me it's not worth it. Blades are so cheap and there are so many I like, I can't be bothered. But, to be fair, I will try another tuck. Where did you buy yours?

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Laser Ultra Triple Coated blades! Unfortunately, I gave the blades away to a friend who likes very mild blades. But, I will go over after dinner and take photos of the box. Don't pay attention to the details in the photo above. That's a stock photo!
As for lodging a complaint, requesting a refund, etc. to me it's not worth it. Blades are so cheap and there are so many I like, I can't be bothered. But, to be fair, I will try another tuck. Where did you buy yours?
This is where the phrase "Your Milage May Vary" (YMMV) comes into play. Not all blades will work for a given razor, and certainly not all razor or razor blade combo will work on all skin types or individuals. You put the same blade into another razor, chances are down the road it might not give you the same shave. That's why it's a trial and error process to find out which blades pair up with which razors that give the best shave for YOU.

Here you go…
5FBE983D-00C6-4BD4-ABD1-0C6EC6F4D699.jpegE01A59B1-E102-4F99-AC4D-464B2B0FE661.jpeg

Just enjoyed a wonderful shave with Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades from India 🇮🇳 I got them for ~$9 on eBay. They took a month to get here (apparently stuck in Chicago). But they are amazing! No wonder they’re Kensurfs favorite blades! I was so dubious, looking at the cheap, over-done packaging, that before I opened them, I was thinking “How am I going to get rid of a hundred of these things!” 😂 But, alas, I don’t think that’s going to be an issue. In fact, if my second shave is as good as my first, I may order another hundred!😉
2011740A-EFB1-41CE-8F58-D35F087E19CF.jpeg

Gillette Wilkinson Sword
The older made "for the Indian market" in China blades are even better. They are still readily available, I have several hundred. There are some interesting stories about the Gillette Wilkinson Sword production for the Indian market.

The older made "for the Indian market" in China blades are even better. They are still readily available, I have several hundred. There are some interesting stories about the Gillette Wilkinson Sword production for the Indian market.
Wow 🤩 better than these?! Sign me up!
Where can I get them? Can you post a link? Thanks!

Where can I get them? Can you post a link?

I haven't used them yet, but others have

On The Bay, I have had good luck with archer.206(AKA Tachi). I had good communication back and forth and eventual bought my surplus from him. You can look under the listing as follows:
100 X Blades Wilkenson SWORD RAZOR double edge safety razor (14.99)

You can see in the pictures that it says "Made in China" and that's what I received. I was prepared to bin them after 3 shaves, but decided to try 4 and no problem. For my face, that's top tier longevity for non platinum blades. They may not be radically better than yours, but they replaced unreliable Vokshods for me.

I haven't used them yet, but others have

On The Bay, I have had good luck with archer.206(AKA Tachi). I had good communication back and forth and eventual bought my surplus from him. You can look under the listing as follows:
100 X Blades Wilkenson SWORD RAZOR double edge safety razor (14.99)

You can see in the pictures that it says "Made in China" and that's what I received. I was prepared to bin them after 3 shaves, but decided to try 4 and no problem. For my face, that's top tier longevity for non platinum blades. They may not be radically better than yours, but they replaced unreliable Vokshods for me.
Just ordered 100 @ $12.99 from RBC.
Thanks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Thanks for suggesting the Laser Ultra triple coated blade. I never heard of it before, but I just heard one YouTube reviewer say even though it was mild, it was so inefficient that he had to do so many passes that it irritated his skin. I like mild. In fact, that's the most important thing I look for in a blade. But, if the blade is so inefficient that it will require so much buffing that it leads to irritation, then at the end of the day, I don't really consider that a mild blade but a dull one. Also, I'm using a mild razor (Timeless Ti .68 SB) so that may not help matters.
The fact that the Laser Ultra is inexpensive is not a drawback. Actually, one of the most popular blades around here and one of my personal favorites (Astra SP) costs the same ($11/100) on Amazon with Prime shipping! But, I will do more research before ruling out the Laser Ultra.
May I ask, what blades you like better?
I used a laser ultra for the first time today. It was fairly enjoyable during use. No real issues. I thought I felt a little tugging on my lip area and my left neck was a rink but irritated after but that resolved after aftershave. I used it in a karve c open comb. Got pretty close shave other than the left neck. Interesting to see how use 2 will go.

I used a laser ultra for the first time today. It was fairly enjoyable during use. No real issues. I thought I felt a little tugging on my lip area and my left neck was a rink but irritated after but that resolved after aftershave. I used it in a karve c open comb. Got pretty close shave other than the left neck. Interesting to see how use 2 will go.
I think I’m going to order another tuck of Laser Ultra blades. I either got a bad batch…or else my razor 🪒 is too mild for such a “ultra” mild blade!

Just tried another Laser blade (the Super Platinum)...and it was awesome! Very smooth and efficient. Perhaps a little more smooth/comfortable...and a little less efficient than my favorite, the Polsilver...but a worthy contender for a fraction of the cost!
As a bonus, it is beautifully double-wrapped...as opposed to Polsilver, which is terribly wrapped with gobs of sticky wax :rolleyes:
IMG-1541.jpg

Just tried another Laser blade (the Super Platinum)...and it was awesome! Very smooth and efficient. Perhaps a little more smooth/comfortable...and a little less efficient than my favorite, the Polsilver...but a worthy contender for a fraction of the cost!
As a bonus, it is beautifully double-wrapped...as opposed to Polsilver, which is terribly wrapped with gobs of sticky wax :rolleyes:
View attachment 1296199
Just ordered 100 more for $11 from RBC! ;)

IMG-1542.JPGOK, I just had my second shave with the Laser Super Platinum 🇮🇳 , and it is officially the Mildest Blade that I have ever used. I disqualified its sibling (the Laser Ultra), because it was so inefficient as to make it useless. The Laser SP, on the other hand, is still very efficient despite its very mild blade feel. Of course, I was using a very mild razor and YMMV (Yada, yada, yada), but so far, this blade is the Winner of my Mildest Blade competition.

P.S. My favorite overall blade is still the Polsilver, because it's almost as mild with a little more blade feel and efficiency.
P.P.S. I'm open to trying the Laser Ultra again at some point in the future as I may have gotten a bad sample.

Top Bottom