What's new

Mildest Blade?

Derby. It’s mildness requires many passes that results in irritation. Medium sharp is best for most faces ala the Lord family of blades

I think I found what I was looking for:

1623094312017.png

I cannot believe that the sharpest razor blade in the world is also the mildest. But, I've now had 3 shaves with my very first Feather blade. All three times this blade has given me the most comfortable shave of my life! And I used it in two different razors...the Tatara Masamune and the Timeless Ti .68! I'm stunned 😲 No nicks...no cuts...no irritation! Of course, I was careful, but not excessively so. And, I'm also using mild razors...but, still, I think my search is over!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I think I found what I was looking for:

View attachment 1278265
I cannot believe that the sharpest razor blade in the world is also the mildest. But, I've now had 3 shaves with my very first Feather blade. All three times this blade has given me the most comfortable shave of my life! And I used it in two different razors...the Tatara Masamune and the Timeless Ti .68! I'm stunned 😲 No nicks...no cuts...no irritation! Of course, I was careful, but not excessively so. And, I'm also using mild razors...but, still, I think my search is over!
Thought you were rabidly ‘anti-Feather‘ just two short months ago?

I usually have the fewest problems with sharp blades. Once they start to dull, they pull and scuff and don’t work well. A Feather in a mild razor like a Schick Krona works well.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My best blade experience to date has been the Gillette Silver Blue. Makes shaving an easy and pleasurable experience.

Carbon blades are by far the smoothest for me. Treet Black Beauties most of all. Their Teflon coated carbon blades are harsher for the first few shaves then mellow and get smooth like the black beauties after the Teflon has worn off.

Stainless blades- Kai is by far the smoothest stainless blade for me. It's as if it can't scrape or cut flesh. I suspect this is because they have a higher carbon content and lower stainless components. That and they're stiffer because they're tempered differently than other blades. Whatever the reason, they walk that line betwixt sharpness and smoothness better than any other stainless blade I've used.
I tried the Treet Black Beauties. There was a lot of tugging...but maybe like you said they have to be broken in!

After trying a dozen different blades in my AS-D2 razor, I came up with a guess that only the Merkur blade is right for me. Daily after each shave my skin is incredibly soft with only 2 passes. Feather, Shark, Derby, Gillette, Astra etc all give me redness and I have to limit myself to one pass shaves and I can't get BBS.
I actually have a couple of Merkur blades as well. But, you're the first person to recommend them. Thanks!
P.S. They certainly win the prize for best-wrapped blades!

Last edited:
Derby's and Bolzano's are more mild de razors. There is a chart out there on sharpness on de blades

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
My quest for this same blade has continued. I recently tried both GSBs and Nacets. Although the Nacets were very sharp and smooth, I found the GSBs marginally smoother and much longer lasting. Yesterday I had an extremely fine shave but not totally BBS from a GSB after getting three weeks of BBS. So this morning I'll circle back and try a Crystal, my favorite before I tried GSBs and Nacets. So my winnowing process has gone through numerous blades. Feathers fell out because I could only get decent longevity from them using an AS-D2, but that razor (now my son in law's since he likes mild but does not seek BBS) required a good bit more effort to get BBS than my ATT does. I tried the Astras that came with the ATT and found them smooth but also short lived. PIRs were worthy contenders but not quite as smooth or as efficient as the Crystals. So now, for me it is down to GSBs versus Crystals. When you factor in cost, the Crystals will be hard to beat, but I still have a few of each and will rotate them along with the remaining few Nacets, PIRs, and Astras since one blade or even two or three may not adequately reflect a brand. It is a fun process, but my criteria (comfortable three pass BBS with no need for buffing coupled with good longevity (2-4 weeks in ATT CM1) and affordability as the tie breaker) makes it a very long and slow process!

My quest for this same blade has continued. I recently tried both GSBs and Nacets. Although the Nacets were very sharp and smooth, I found the GSBs marginally smoother and much longer lasting.
I'm currently in the middle of comparing Nacets & GSB's using the same razor & soap every day so not to skew the results. So far the GSB are ahead. According to Refine Shave Nacets are sharper. But I find the GSB's to be almost as sharp & over-all smoother. I also a box of 7 o'clock Yellows I might add to this comparison.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'm currently in the middle of comparing Nacets & GSB's using the same razor & soap every day so not to skew the results. So far the GSB are ahead. According to Refine Shave Nacets are sharper. But I find the GSB's to be almost as sharp & over-all smoother. I also a box of 7 o'clock Yellows I might add to this comparison.
The results will be interesting, but I am trying to avoid blades that are more pricey and/or harder to find from my preferred shops. I know I can find better deals on Amazon and track down almost anything on eBay, but I feel better putting my paltry business with shops like WCS or Maggard, real people dedicated to our kind!

The results will be interesting, but I am trying to avoid blades that are more pricey and/or harder to find from my preferred shops. I know I can find better deals on Amazon and track down almost anything on eBay, but I feel better putting my paltry business with shops like WCS or Maggard, real people dedicated to our kind!
I hear you. But I haven't worked full time since November of 2019 & I have no issues buying from Amazon.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
And I used it in two different razors...the Tatara Masamune and the Timeless Ti .68! I'm stunned 😲 No nicks...no cuts...no irritation! Of course, I was careful, but not excessively so. And, I'm also using mild razors...but, still, I think my search is over!

Feather's very own A2-D2 razor is supposedly also a very mild razor. The Feather is kinda made for that style, so yeah, makes sense that it works in the Masamune then. No idea how mild the .68 Timeless is, apparently quite similar.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Today's results are in. A Crystal on day 1 yielded 3 pass BBS and, despite being day 1, was very comfortable, even ATG on the upper lip. Now to settle in and see how many BBS days it can give me using the same soaps (one brand, two scents), same two brushes in rotation, same razor, and three passes with no buffing. The GSB set a pretty high bar, but the Crystal has the frugality edge at $12 per hundred at WCS!

That's it for now!
Cheap and Smooth

This is so YMMV is isn't funny, and even changes with the razor being used. What feels super comfy (mild feeling) in one razor, may feel like you're using a can lid in another. Other razors use just about any blade made, and feel great on the face.

For me, some of the most comfortable/mild feeling blades, that actually yield a nice close shave are Pol-Silver, Gillette Nacet, KAI (Gillette Adjustables), Crystal/Personna RED, and Voskhod. I'm still deciding how I like the new German Personna baldes, which replaced the beloved RED, previously made in Israel, as in my Rex Ambassador, I actually set it down 1.5-2 compared to a Crystal Super+ or Pol-Silver. Feathers are hit or miss on my face, depending upon the razor, and simply don't last more than 3-5 shaves, depending upon the razor, while the old Personna REDs would go 30 shaves in my Timeless, and still be comfortable.

This is so YMMV is isn't funny, and even changes with the razor being used. What feels super comfy (mild feeling) in one razor, may feel like you're using a can lid in another. Other razors use just about any blade made, and feel great on the face.

For me, some of the most comfortable/mild feeling blades, that actually yield a nice close shave are Pol-Silver, Gillette Nacet, KAI (Gillette Adjustables), Crystal/Personna RED, and Voskhod. I'm still deciding how I like the new German Personna baldes, which replaced the beloved RED, previously made in Israel, as in my Rex Ambassador, I actually set it down 1.5-2 compared to a Crystal Super+ or Pol-Silver. Feathers are hit or miss on my face, depending upon the razor, and simply don't last more than 3-5 shaves, depending upon the razor, while the old Personna REDs would go 30 shaves in my Timeless, and still be comfortable.
Just ordered my first Crystal “Super” blades 👍🏻 I’m “super” excited!

Last edited:
I think of the Nacet as Gillette's Feather. Those two blades felt almost identical to me—too sharp. So far, the GSB is my favorite blade. But, I have a number of other blades to try out.

Top Bottom