What's new

Mild to medium SE

I'd like to find a mild to medium agressive SE razor that accepts either half-blades, or snapped DE - not AC blades. I know of the Twig, which is not aesthetically pleasing to me, and the Razorock Hawk Eco, which is on the agressive side.

What are some other options?

I have a Hawk V2 that I use to touch up my headshave and it works very well. Two reasons for exploring options:

First, the Hawk works great, but I always feel like I'm one distraction away from a bloodbath. No question that it is a precise cutter, and a close shaver, just want to explore milder options.

Second, would be blade cost, variety, and commonality (if I choose to snap some blades in my voluminous DE stash). So the razor would need to accept both snapped DE and manufactured half-blades.

And third (I know I said TWO reasons, but...) RAD.

Thanks.

I have a Yaqi Katana. I would rate it on the aggressive side of medium. It can be a bit frustrating to get the blade inserted correctly. Later versions like mine have small tabs to help position the blade but it's still a bit fussy. But I like it and enjoy using it, it's fun for something different once in a while. I think I paid like $18 for it from Yaqi on Alliexpress. It's zamak of course. It uses half DE blades.

I'll probably get a RR Eco sometime as well.

20220623_111616.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Yaqi Katana. I would rate it on the aggressive side of medium. It can be a bit frustrating to get the blade inserted correctly. Later versions like mine have small tabs to help position the blade but it's still a bit fussy. But I like it and enjoy using it, it's fun for something different once in a while. I think I paid like $18 for it from Yaqi on Alliexpress. It's zamak of course.

I'll probably get a RR Eco sometime as well.

View attachment 1476893

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the Eco also, but I see it on the top of the Medium-Agressive category on the razor agression scale at Italian Barber.

I'm sure I can use it with care, but was hoping to find something a bit more forgiving. Don't want to carelessly remove a chunk of my bald scalp.

Edit: I just looked at the agression scale, and found I was wrong. The Eco is actually at the bottom of the medium-agressive range.

Last edited:
I don't understand the requirement to accept manufactured half-blades when you already have a large stash of DE blades that can be snapped in half. That requirement excludes the Focus R48 Evo which might otherwise be a good choice for head shaving.

I don't understand the requirement to accept manufactured half-blades when you already have a large stash of DE blades that can be snapped in half. That requirement excludes the Focus R48 Evo which might otherwise be a good choice for head shaving.
I also have a stash of half-blades for my Leaf (the pivoting, 3-blade razor), and I like the option of using either. It's not a deal-breaker, especially if it opens up many other options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom