What's new

Mild/Smooth Blades?

These threads about blades are strange, aren’t they? Every single post recommends a different blade. This happens every time anyone asks for blade recommendations, and there is never anything close to a consensus or even a shortlist.

I can only conclude that we all like different blades, and we all find different blades to be smooth or harsh, effective or ineffective. Maybe it’s related to using different razors, or shaving with different angles and techniques, using different pre-shave preparation, or having different hair and skin. All of those compounded, probably. I don’t really understand it but I suppose the difference between blades is not as simple as how sharp the edge is and how smooth the coating or edge grind is - they also have different dimensions and probably different levels of rigidity. How any blade will work for you is practically impossible to guess, it seems.

I suppose you just have to try a bunch and decide what you like.

These threads about blades are strange, aren’t they? Every single post recommends a different blade. This happens every time anyone asks for blade recommendations, and there is never anything close to a consensus or even a shortlist.

I can only conclude that we all like different blades, and we all find different blades to be smooth or harsh, effective or ineffective. Maybe it’s related to using different razors, or shaving with different angles and techniques, using different pre-shave preparation, or having different hair and skin. All of those compounded, probably. I don’t really understand it but I suppose the difference between blades is not as simple as how sharp the edge is and how smooth the coating or edge grind is - they also have different dimensions and probably different levels of rigidity. How any blade will work for you is practically impossible to guess, it seems.

I suppose you just have to try a bunch and decide what you like.
There was a thread a while back where someone went to the trouble to compile a spreadsheet of everyone's favorite blades (or number one recommendation). I think ASPs and GSBs came out tops, but it did highlight the wide variety in preferences.
It would be nice if there were trends in blade preference as strong as those for soaps - typically if a soap is good, most people recognize it, and likewise the opposite. In such a case, one would have a solid pool to choose from when determining personal preference. As it is, it seems like the best route for blades literally is "try them all." Thank goodness for operations like tryablade.

These strange blade threads are what had me narrow down to what I currently use. When I started wet shaving I knew nothing. So even though I would read 20 different recommendations on the same thread, I would read what each person's experience was. And through process of elimination (eliminating observations that didn't fit me), I narrowed down to what I currently use. Yes I tried a bunch, but that bunch were the ones that most matched the characteristics that I was seeking. I also used the same process with razors. The tons of different opinions allowed me to pinpoint what I probably would like most.
At least for me it's worked most of the time!

Last edited:
If that's a possibility I suggest giving Wizamets a try. They are very similar to PolSilver and seem quite smooth to me.
Unfortunately, neither Wizamets nor PolSilvers are in stock right now. I'll have to save them for round 2.
The whole project is going to have to wait until mid-Octoberish, anyway. Leaving the country for a bit.

I enjoy the Lord family, the Lord Plat, Shark Stainless or Superchrome, Rainbow Stainless, Silver Star, Asco, Big Ben, Racer, etc. All are sharp but comfortable

...Am I missing anything?...
Blade's purpose is to cut. The purpose of shaving is to cut facial hair. If one ends up with cut/damaged skin it is not because of one particular blade or another. It is simply because of poor technique. Presenting a list with blades that cut the skin and discussing further lists with blades that potentially would not cut the skin would be futile.
This is just my opinion.

I think maybe you should examine your face prep before the shave.

I have found that using the same razor and blade but different face prep made a difference in the shave results. If you have not taken notes for your shaves, I would recommend it so you can make a correlation between good shaves and what you did for the shave.

Showering before a shave or using a hot towel can help add moisture to your face. I find that Stirling Soap Company's pre-shave soaps soften my beard making it easier to shave dense areas of stubble. Using a scuttle to warm the lather (a brush scuttle or bowl scuttle) can also do wonders to prep your face. Those are just some examples of face prep ideas.

Getting a good face prep routine first may be more beneficial than trying a lot of different blades right now.
If you already have a good face prep in place, then disregard this post.

Just a few thoughts:
The blades you listed that give you trouble cover an ample range of sharpnesses, smoothnesses and favorable options of many DE shavers. I believe you have tested enough blades to conclude that your issues can not be cured by testing more blades.

I looked up the RR Mission razor, and didn’t learn a lot. I would guess from the description that it is a entry level SS handled Zamak headed razor. I would also guess that it is designed to be on the mild side, but also has a fair amount of weight.

You said that you had good shaves from your Lord L6. I have that razor and can tell you that the gap and exposure are substantial. Even though it is light it gives me an efficient shave.

My guess is that your problem is more technique than anything else. You mentioned that the areas that you nick have the most difficult hair to cut. Using a mild razor the tendency would be to increase pressure which is one of the surest ways to nick yourself. If you are set in making this razor work for you, I would think it best to take the pressure off and work hard on the angle with a sharp blade. If that doesn’t work get a more efficient (aggressive) razor.

I hope this helps a little.

I would try the lab blues from your list. If you like those then you can also try the German Personna Platinum Chromes. They have a different coating and are smooth and slightly sharper than the GSBs.

I gave Astra Blues a try again after improving my technique and I find them to be near as smooth and sharp as GSBs, just slightly milder. If you want a really mid-tier blade in terms of sharpness, it's as good as anything recommended soo far.

Last edited:
As you say that Derby cuts you, that is a sign to me that your technique might be the issue. What I would do is use the Derby until my technique is good enough so it doesn't cut me anymore. It's hard to get any more dull than a Derby.

Smooth and mild... like a camel. Maybe not so much.

I have a RR Mission that's been giving me trouble. Before I go and get a whole new razor, though, I thought I might look into some milder blades.

What I've tried so far:
Gillette Silver Blue (best performer yet, though still harsh and one of the more expensive blades)
Astra SP (a great blade on the 4th-5th shave)
Derby Extra (green, cuts me)
Bic (cuts me)
Treet (doesn't cut the hair)
Rapira (cuts me)

I have a sample pack ready to order from tryablade. My selections include:
Persona Lab Blues
All manner of Sharks
Tatras
Tigers
Derby Ustas
Dianes
Dorco, platinum and stainless
Kais (just because I'm curious about the super blade)
Lord superstainless
and
SuperMax Superstainless

Am I barking up a reasonable tree? Am I missing anything? There are a lot more blades on their menu, I just don't know much about them (other than the facts that persona LBs come well recommended, and I had good shaves with one of the sharks in my Lord L6, though I have forgotten which shark...)
You should add Gillette Platinum, Nacet & Perma Sharp to your list

Top Bottom