What's new

Mild/Smooth Blades?

Smooth and mild... like a camel. Maybe not so much.

I have a RR Mission that's been giving me trouble. Before I go and get a whole new razor, though, I thought I might look into some milder blades.

What I've tried so far:
Gillette Silver Blue (best performer yet, though still harsh and one of the more expensive blades)
Astra SP (a great blade on the 4th-5th shave)
Derby Extra (green, cuts me)
Bic (cuts me)
Treet (doesn't cut the hair)
Rapira (cuts me)

I have a sample pack ready to order from tryablade. My selections include:
Persona Lab Blues
All manner of Sharks
Tatras
Tigers
Derby Ustas
Dianes
Dorco, platinum and stainless
Kais (just because I'm curious about the super blade)
Lord superstainless
and
SuperMax Superstainless

Am I barking up a reasonable tree? Am I missing anything? There are a lot more blades on their menu, I just don't know much about them (other than the facts that persona LBs come well recommended, and I had good shaves with one of the sharks in my Lord L6, though I have forgotten which shark...)
If Derby Extras are cutting you there is an issue with your razor or technique. I use these blades, Astra SPs and Dorco Stainless/Prime with great results.

Get yourself a King C. Gillette razor and see how that works with your blades. I've found it to be an excellent mild razor that, with the right technique, can deliver BBS shaves with minimal chances of nicks. Another B&Ber, who was having serious problems the weepers purchased on of these and it delivered great shaves.

I agree with other posters in this thread that the GSB is an all around excellent DE blade that is hard to beat.

As specially at the current price on Amazon.

100 Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blades Made in Russia by 7 O'clock​

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Doubl...s=gillette+silver+blue&qid=1668140154&sr=8-2#

1. 100 Silver Blue Double Edge Razor Blades Made in Russia by 7 O'clock

List Price:$16.40 Details
Price:$12.48 ($0.12 count)
You Save:$3.92 (24%)

It is not often that you find a true premium blade for or near the $10 average blade price.

Based on the OP's initial post, I think he might have technique issues. I've used most of the blades he said either didn't cut or they cut him and they work fine for me. I still have never found a blade that didn't work well to great almost regardless of razor (but all my razors are mild to med aggression, always have been).

Last edited:
Treet Durasharp, Treet New Steel, Ladas, Rapira Platinum Lux, Rapira SS, Vidyut Supermax Platinum, and all the Lord blades are pretty smooth to me. And in my experience, the Treet Durasharp was sharper than any Gillette blade I’ve ever used, but much more comfortable.

Gillette Platinum!
I've tried everything on your list except 3 of them. The Gillette Platinum should meet what you're looking for. It's for me the blade that tames anything down but remains sharp enough to be comfortable & smooth (the smoothest!)
LRod
I need to update this!
Since I wrote this, the Gillette Platinum's started giving me a reaction after shaving. Probably something in the coating.
Since then I've switched to Personna Lab Blue's and all is perfect!
Same results as the GP's! Love them!!

I need to update this!
Since I wrote this, the Gillette Platinum's started giving me a reaction after shaving. Probably something in the coating.
Since then I've switched to Personna Lab Blue's and all is perfect!
Same results as the GP's! Love them!!

I preferred the GSB over the Platinum, although both are excellent blades and I own both in quanity.

I also have a quantity of the Lab Blues, which I have always considered to be on par with the GSB's.

I agree with your findings, that if you can't do the Gillette, the Lab Blue is every bit as good (maybe even better).

Top Bottom