What's new

Mild Shave

I just shaved a few minutes ago and face is quite smooth again. No discomfort at all. I used a less sharp blade, a Rapira Platinum Lux in the EJ DE86 and it went well. The razor is milder than most. I had to take more strokes than I would have to using a sharper blade but I enjoy this combo. Incredible post shave feel. Spectacular! It works. Who here likes less sharp blades in less aggressive razors and still gets DFS or even BBS results? Who here loves using milder blades in general?

I do. GPP (Brazil), German Wilki, Personna Lab Blues, the new King Gillette blades, in that order are my faves. The Wilkinson Sword and the Lab Blues are interchangeable as far as smooth goes. The Lab Blue gives a bit better shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My primary razor is an Edwin Jagger DE3D14, which is on the milder end of the spectrum, but I always get the shave I want. The blades that give me great results at the comfort level I desire, cover a wide range of perceived sharpness.

Feather
Gillette SharpEdge
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Astra SP
Derby Premium
Gillette Platinum
Personna Platinum
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
SuperMax Super Stainless
Derby Extra

There are plenty of other sharp blades and smoother blades that I've used, but these are the ones my stash is full of (roughly 600 blades), and what I will be using for the next 20+ years, assuming I'm still around.

Rapira didn't work for me, but nor did Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, Polsilver, Personna Blues, and many others which aren't springing to mind. So long as the blade is comfortable (which those weren't) I can get the closeness I want (which varies according to mood/events)

I was using super sharp blades in an aggressive razor for the longest time but recently found using a milder razor is much more comfortable and just as efficient, if not more so. I will revisit less sharp blades in the near future to see if there's a difference, for better or worse.

I do. GPP (Brazil), German Wilki, Personna Lab Blues, the new King Gillette blades, in that order are my faves. The Wilkinson Sword and the Lab Blues are interchangeable as far as smooth goes. The Lab Blue gives a bit better shave.
I enjoy the Lab Blues.
They are decent blades.

Tried a ton of stuff before I realized that I am also in the ‘mild/moderate’ razor camp, especially when I pair that mild razor with a sharp blade! But that’s me! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I don't usually use the word 'mild' with regard to blades, just razors. I guess you mean to imply blades that are less sharp than some?
I use Polsilver blades almost exclusively. I think they are quite sharp. Other blades that I have used and liked are Bics, Wilkies, and GSBs. Generally speaking. I prefer sharp blades and mild razors.

I don't usually use the word 'mild' with regard to blades, just razors. I guess you mean to imply blades that are less sharp than some?
I use Polsilver blades almost exclusively. I think they are quite sharp. Other blades that I have used and liked are Bics, Wilkies, and GSBs. Generally speaking. I prefer sharp blades and mild razors.

Same here. I have an adjustable, and I find that at some point in the scale the trade off between closeness and discomfort becomes too much. I keep it on the more mild side, and three or four passes with a reasonably sharp blade gives me a nice shave with zero irritation. With the more aggressive settings, whatever tiny gains in closeness I achieve aren't worth the spots that burn after putting on my aftershave or lotion.

The Shaving Equation. Everyone has to find a solution which works for them:

razor type + blade choice + hair type + skin sensitivity + touch/technique = good shave

So far a mild open-comb (Merkur) with sharp blades has worked well for me (Bic, Feather). Derby Extra were horrible. Too tuggy. I'll try some Astra SP next time I change the blade.

Often less is more. I’ve used Feathers and Kais and had terrible shaves. I don’t need my face torn off. I get BBS everytime with medium sharp blades like the various Lords and Personnas in medium exposure razors. Always great shaves and never a nick. Good technique is, perhaps, the most important factor

Top Bottom