What's new

Mild razors (Feather AS-D1 vs Henson Ti22 Mild)

I've shaved my COVID beard and am getting back into DE shaving. I have soft whiskers and can do fine with a mild razor. I have one of the Feather AS-D1 (an early one when they were fine) but I find angle is really important and it can bite me every so often. The Henson razors may have come out after my interest in DE shaving waned, but the mild version of the Ti22 seems like it might be an interesting alternative. Why the titanium one? Because of the weight and, well, titanium.
Anyone used both? Or the AS-D2 since they are very similar apparently. If they are too similar to each other, no sense spending the money.

I have a medium Ti22 that shaves very well. Not tried the mild. Did have a Feather AS-D2 and returned it due to its lack of cutting my whiskers. I’ve heard folks say that there isn’t much difference between the Henson mild and medium razors.

@Benbo My 'daily driver' is the Henson Ti22 V2 +. It's the mildest razor in the Henson product line. Prior to that I spent about a year shaving with all three Henson aluminum levels of aggression. I liked them all but landed on the +.
I shave daily: (Head and partial face) so the + made most sense. So why titanium? "Because of the weight and, well, titanium" is a good start.
Now that I've been shaving with it for almost two months I just love it. The main benefit I find is that I can grip the razor much better than the aluminum models.
I enjoy shaving and what I get from Henson razors are drama free shaves with spectacular results.

As for the Feather AS-D2 I purchased that one about a month after the first Henson arrived. I love the feel of the razor in hand, It's a super well made and I really like the knurling on the handle. I like to stick to one razor for long periods and only occasionally shave with my vintage Gillette Fatboy. When I purchased the Feather I really thought that was going to be the one but the Henson just consistently outperformed it. The Feather was gathering dust so I sold it last summer.

My recommendation: Start with a Henson AL 13 +.

I have a medium Ti22 that shaves very well. Not tried the mild. Did have a Feather AS-D2 and returned it due to its lack of cutting my whiskers. I’ve heard folks say that there isn’t much difference between the Henson mild and medium razors.

I found that their is little separation between the mild and medium, though the caveat is that I shave daily. If I shaved, say every three or four days then the medium would likely be more preferred.

If you’re open to other razors I’d recommend the Karve Christopher Bradley in a AA or A plate. I think it’s a better shaver and you can always add more plates if you decide you want something more efficient in the future

I appreciate the responses. And @latetotheparty thanks for the Karve recommendation. I had not heard of that brand yet (having been out of the loop for some time). Is there much difference between the CB and the Overland? From reading a little the angle for best shave may be the biggest difference.

I appreciate the responses. And @latetotheparty thanks for the Karve recommendation. I had not heard of that brand yet (having been out of the loop for some time). Is there much difference between the CB and the Overland? From reading a little the angle for best shave may be the biggest difference.
I have the overlander and sold my old CB. I do think it's overall a better razor than the CB for me. It has been described as performing like a CB B-plate in terms of comfort, and a D-plate in terms of efficiency. I agree with that description. I think it has a more comfortable angle and a wider "sweet spot". It also lets me ride the bar, which I prefer. I think it's gentle and can be an everyday razor.

That being said, the CB is still a great razor. It has the same build quality as the overlander and you can really fine tune how aggressive you want it. In fact, some people buy multiple plates and use it like an adjustable. With the Overlander, you just have the one plate.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Why the titanium one? Because of the weight and, well, titanium.
Reminds me of the comedian that joked. "they are searching for the little black box which is made out of titanium and survived the crash.... why didn't they make the plane out of the same stuff as the black box?"

I currently don't own a Feather and never owned the AS-D1. As the the Henson, the only difference I notice between + and ++ is blade feel. So I rather wish I would have kept my +. ++ is no closer, just more blade feel. Still a great non irritating shave though. I have come to really like low blade feel, which is probably why one of my favorite razors right now is the Supply SE. If I have more blade feel, it better shave SIGNIFICANTLY closer - enter my Rocca. AS-D2 vs Henson + or ++, I'd say Feather due to less blade feel.

I took a look at the Henson Mild, thought about it, and have returned it. I'm going instead with the Karve Overlander Aluminum (if it ever comes back in stock). In the meanwhile, the RR Game Changer 68 w/ titanium handle will have to fill in.

I've never tried the Feather, but I don't see how it could possibly be better than my V1 Ti22 ++. That is an amazing razor. The weight is just right, not too heavy, not too light. It has a .85 blade gap but no blade exposure and it really shaves. The + has a .68 blade gap (if that means anything) and no blade exposure and it shave pretty good, too. Henson says the + is all anybody really needs. Maybe so. I can get a good shave with it. However, the ++ gives me a great shave with less touch ups, no irritation, no cuts, and my 5 o'clock shadow doesn't come back as strong. If you can do the +, you will get a wonderful shave, no doubt about it. Just mind the angle.

What did you end up getting, @Benbo? I also recommend a Henson, I hope you got one.

By the way, all the Hensons have a positive exposure, here are the specs:
Mild (+) - Blade Exposure: 0.033mm (0.0013") - Blade Gap: 0.68mm (0.027")​
Medium (++) - Blade Exposure: 0.058mm (0.0023") - Blade Gap: 0.85mm (0.033")​
Aggressive (+++) - Blade Exposure: 0.11mm (0.0045") - Blade Gap: 0.99mm (0.039")​

For me ASD2>AL13+

I didn't like the non-traditional head of the Henson, which forces one to shave at a very precise angle. The ASD2 gives me great shaves and isn't quite as fussy about angle as the Henson...at least on my face.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me ASD2>AL13+

I didn't like the non-traditional head of the Henson, which forces one to shave at a very precise angle. The ASD2 gives me great shaves and isn't quite as fussy about angle as the Henson...at least on my face.
I agree and disagree. The Henson absolutely forces the angle, but many, myself include think the ASD2 does basically the same. I say that because for me the ASD2 has a pretty narrow angle it works in. You have few degrees either side of optimal, but that is it. I like both a lot.

For me ASD2>AL13+

What is fussy about always knowing the correct angle?

I'd recommend a Razorock Game Changer .68-P.

It's 316 stainless, has tight tolerances, is available with a wide variety of handles and represents fantastic value for money IMHO.

My experience with it is that it works quite well with a wide variety of blades and has a very intuitive and broad effective angle.

Not sure if it's technically a mild geometry but it feels pretty comfy on my mug. 🙂

Top Bottom