What's new

Mild razor for a beginner

One of the younger guys at my gym asked me a lot of questions on DE razors and now he want to try one.
I sent him links to various venders with tips on mild and smooth razors for him to start with.
I have offered him to borrow some of my razors just to try before he buy.

So tonight I will bring two razors to the gym for him to try out at home, a Feather Popular and an English aluminum Gillette Ball End Tech.
I will also give him some blades, I was thinking Astra SS and Astra SP.

If everything goes right he will ditch the plastic junk razors he uses today.

I don't know but at least to me it feels so good every time someone is converted. I assume you gave him some basic tips like no pressure and removing the hair gradually with multiple passes and not all all once.

I am curious to see what you new pupil thinks of his first DE experience [emoji1696]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't know but at least to me it feels so good every time someone is converted. I assume you gave him some basic tips like no pressure and removing the hair gradually with multiple passes and not all all once.

I am curious to see what you new pupil thinks of his first DE experience [emoji1696]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I talked to him yesterday evening at gym and he told me he had watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to shave with a DE razor, no pressure, find the angle and just take it easy with no stress 😊
I believe he will be converted to the good side 😁

That’s great. Watching videos on YouTube is so helpful. I have recommended to some of my friends and cousins to watch videos and some feel thankful about it, but some times I get reactions like “DUDE, I KNOW HOW TO SHAVE”, but then they keep making the same mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very well done though the feather popular is not a easy to use razor, IMHO.
I grabbed mine for the first time in 2 years and tried it again today.
You can get at least a DFS. But the popular requires a better technique than my usual beginner's recommendation, the Rockwell 6s or 6c.
If he likes it, perfect, if not borrow him a Rockwell if you have one.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 8 mit Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I would have suggested a Gillette Tech.

But well done.

One of the razors @Hak.1963 provided is an aluminum Ball End Tech. :thumbsup:

One of the younger guys at my gym asked me a lot of questions on DE razors and now he want to try one.
I sent him links to various venders with tips on mild and smooth razors for him to start with.
I have offered him to borrow some of my razors just to try before he buy.

So tonight I will bring two razors to the gym for him to try out at home, a Feather Popular and an English aluminum Gillette Ball End Tech.
I will also give him some blades, I was thinking Astra SS and Astra SP.

If everything goes right he will ditch the plastic junk razors he uses today.

Well done, my friend! :cool:

English aluminum Techs are great. My '79 tech would be my desert island DE actually. Great start, let us know how it goes for your friend!

One of the razors @Hak.1963 provided is an aluminum Ball End Tech. :thumbsup:

Well done, my friend! :cool:
Thank you :)

Actually, before I went to the gym I changed my mind a little bit.

I decided to lend him my brass Gillette Ball End Tech, it's a bit heavier and the handle is a bit longer and overall I find it to be a bit more efficient than the aluminum Tech.

Well, now he will try the Tech and the Popular for a couple of weeks together with Astra SS and SP so what can go wrong? ;)

He may find the Tech suitable but the Popular is a poor starter razor IMHO. It has a very narrow sweet spot and even then doesn’t cut well without a super-sharp blade like a Feather.

Top Bottom