What's new

Mild OC?

For a mild open comb razor I would buy the Razorock Game Changer .68 open comb. I have not tried it yet, but I love the solid bar version of the game changer .68, and I'm planning on getting the OC version. They also have the .68 jaws open comb now too.
I used the solid bar for thirty days straight, and I found the GC .68 to be wonderful for daily shaving, and hopefully the OC version will be very good as well.
Best of luck in your search, and hope you find what works for you.

The GC .68 OC is a blinder. Much better than the SB. More efficient, smoother and comfortable. The extra blade rigidity is noticeable. I haven't tried the Jaws.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Vintage - Gem Damaskeene OC (Very rare but still out there) or Damaskeene closed comb. Another good closed comb would be the Everready 1914.
Modern - Razorock SLOC is a great carefree daily driver or like others have mention Razorock old type is a good daily driver.
I like the SLOC more than the Old type over some time using them, but both are good milder OC razors.
Have some great shaves!

Rabbit season!

Hi,

Pronoun Trouble! (as the cartoon eventually makes it to in this series)

Rabbit *Hole* Season! (this would be more correct)

Seriously, I have the New SC and LC and find the LC is milder than the SC. I also have a 1934 Aristocrat (so a TTO option) and it is milder than the LC.

Just for more data, I have a New Improved which is less mild than the New SC and my Thin cap Old Type is the least mild of them all.

I have this 7-day set of Open Comb razors:

They run from the Old Type to the Fasan Double Slant. I use them all in OCtober, our Open Comb month of October.

The odd one there is a Schick Type C1 Repeater (aka Injector) single edge. I use it for a ground travel razor as the head folds and there is a nice cap to cover it. But, that is Single Edge and rather persnickety to change the blades on. The original design calls for loading blades into the handle. Modern blades are too thin to properly work, so one has to get a blade out of the injector cartridge and manually push the old blade out of the Repeater. This is not for everyone. But, it is the mildest of them all.

Stan

ATT M2 is mild, yet very efficient, close comfortable shaves , 2 passes Plus touch up.
+ 1 on the M2. I've used it as a daily driver for a period. It has a nice range of shaving angle which allows for a mild or more aggressive shave.

The Karve Christopher Bradley in alu or brass could be a great choice.
They come in a lot of baseplates.

I enjoy mine a lot.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Timeless Stainless Steel 0.68OC is top of my list.

Had and returned one. It just didn’t feel like a proper OC, felt like a scalloped safety bar. I think their brass OC is a much better OC design but not particularly mild.

My 2¢:

The best modern mild OC is the Merkur 15c (or hex handle/long handle variants thereof), it's not terribly expensive, is easy to get great shaves with and difficult to razor burn or nick yourself with.

Cheapest, but still very competent is the SLOC (mine is a RazoRock), it's not quite as mild or close as the Merkur, but it's a solid performer and also at least $10 less and that *includes* a nice stainless handle!

Nicest construction quality for the dollar (IMO) is the RazoRock Game Changer OC, available (sometimes...) in .68 or .84 configurations. If you already have a GC, then the bottom plates aren't as expensive to add, otherwise the complete razor (when available) costs $65. On the subject of mildness, the jury seems to be out for the various GC open comb baseplates, some feel they're mild (even excessively so) and others find them to be mid-aggressive or even harsh.
My first shave with my new .68 OC baseplate was much more demanding of attention to angle than the safety bar version, at the same angle it's identical to the SB plate, but allows blade contact at significantly steeper angles of attack, therefore giving you more room to pick the *wrong* angle for a smooth/comfortable/mild shave. I feel that it compares fairly closely to the Gillette NEW SC in feel and function, so maybe not the best "mild" first OC razor... though certainly not a raging beast of aggression.

The PAA DOC in nickle, looks aggressive but is very mild and only about $35.
B25EDEF9-A513-4392-A307-A326F4EB26DA.jpeg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My 2¢:

The best modern mild OC is the Merkur 15c (or hex handle/long handle variants thereof), it's not terribly expensive, is easy to get great shaves with and difficult to razor burn or nick yourself with.

Cheapest, but still very competent is the SLOC (mine is a RazoRock), it's not quite as mild or close as the Merkur, but it's a solid performer and also at least $10 less and that *includes* a nice stainless handle!

Nicest construction quality for the dollar (IMO) is the RazoRock Game Changer OC, available (sometimes...) in .68 or .84 configurations. If you already have a GC, then the bottom plates aren't as expensive to add, otherwise the complete razor (when available) costs $65. On the subject of mildness, the jury seems to be out for the various GC open comb baseplates, some feel they're mild (even excessively so) and others find them to be mid-aggressive or even harsh.
My first shave with my new .68 OC baseplate was much more demanding of attention to angle than the safety bar version, at the same angle it's identical to the SB plate, but allows blade contact at significantly steeper angles of attack, therefore giving you more room to pick the *wrong* angle for a smooth/comfortable/mild shave. I feel that it compares fairly closely to the Gillette NEW SC in feel and function, so maybe not the best "mild" first OC razor... though certainly not a raging beast of aggression.

I believe the 15C head is actually the same design as the old Vintage Hoffritz I already use. Considering how much I enjoy it, it might be worth grabbing a couple just in case.

Honesty, if a modern maker cloned the Hoffritz travel razor and case with brass or stainless steel as a nice modern touch I would be over the moon.

I'd *love* to score a vintage Merkur (or any imprint) OC, if the zinc ones are this good...

I really need to see if I can re-true the bent bottom plate on my 11c, it's already damaged, so the worst I can do is not fix it.

have you considered another plate from Timeless? i use the .94 OC and shave twice a week. It's a close and comfortable shave with some blade feel... not near as much as the 37c i was using (and have since boxed up) if a .68 OC seems too gentle... i wonder how a scalloped .94 would work...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Sat, Aug 15th, 2020- Very Inexpensive shave with this gear, with great results. I have not used the RR old type for some time and after reading this thread I took it out for a shave with my recently acquired Kai ss blades.
The Kai blade is a wider blade(.009 thousandsof a inch) so a person will get more blade exposure or blade feel like some like to express.

Razor: Razorock old type open comb - Mfg 2015> nice mild open comb and even nicer with a Kai SS blade to pick it up a notch for efficiency.
Blade: KAI SS (7) still testing longevity out of this blade, excellent blade and is .009 thousands wider than a standard blade.....
Blade Review #6.3 June 26th 2020 (3).jpg

Soap: Italian barber Amici - nice mild citrus grapefruit scent with great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic- my favorite for creating lather and cloud like soft tips- excellent brush.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave :001_wub: + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS+ no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my RR Old type OC & Kai & blade.

DE SOTD, Sat, Aug 15th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay safe in these times!

Top Bottom