What's new

Mild modern machined razors?

My experience with it and the Popular it is like Feather purposely designed the razors to suck except when used with their Feather blades. Never got a decent shave out of either except with a Feather. If you already prefer shaving with Feathers then it is a non-issue as long as you don't change blade brands.

That's an interesting observation, one I hadn't considered. In my Gillettes I've found feathers to be much too harsh and have come to prefer Astra SPs over all others, which is what I tried in the as-d2. Maybe its worth picking up a popular at some point try it again with a feather blade.

I am going to advise against this route for the reason of the cost of an AS-D2. You are better off getting a lot cheaper Feather Popular which is the budget version of this razor. If you don't like that you are only out about $20 as opposed to over $100 if you don't like the AS-D2. You could resell it but you will take a loss on that. If you like the Popular when you decide to upgrade to the AS-D2 you can always relegate the Popular to a travel razor or PIF it off later on. Good luck trying to sell one of them used considering the price for a new one.

Good point.

However, he asked about three options: AS-D2, Karve and ATT. I picked the AS-D2 based on his criteria.

@gustophersmob, having read through these options it looks like so far it is:
-Feather AS-D2
-RR Mamba (.53 & .70)
-RR Game Changer (.68)
-ATT M1
-Karve (plates A,B,C)
-Timeless (.68)

Also having read through & seen your comments, allow me to add some thoughts. First, my opinion is that the RR Game Changer (.68) would be perfect for what you're looking for. It is modern, it is stainless steel, it is cnc machined with tight tolerances, it has a light polished finish, it has an easy to find intuitive angle, it is beautifully smooth & provides easy irritation free shaves, it's only $55!!. However, it has been discontinued so it could only be obtained second hand through BST (if someone is willing to part ways with it forever) & possibly at a higher price.

Second, since you're not big on razors with a small window of finding that perfect angle, I think that eliminates the Feather AS-D2, & honestly both Mamba (.53 & .70). This narrows it down to the ATT M1 (never used so I have no input), and the Karve (plates A,B,C), & the Timeless (.68).

Both Karve & Timeless would be excellent choices IMO. They both receive constant high accolades here on the forums. It would just come down to personal preference of metals, looks, how much you want to spend, etc...

So to recap: my choice would be the RR Game Changer (.68) if you can find one. The Feather & Mamba's have picky angles. The Karve & Timeless (.68) are both solid choices.

One last additional thought to ponder: if you plan on one day shaving the whole beard off, you may want to seriously consider the Rex Ambassador (stainless steel adjustable) as @Scaramouche suggested. It really does provide amazing easy irritation free shaves on the lower settings, but also would be suitable for tackling the whole beard & face. It is very high quality & is worthy to look into!

That's my .02, hopefully it helps. Cheers

Second, since you're not big on razors with a small window of finding that perfect angle

If this is a big deal for you, I would definitely recommend checking out the Tatara Masamune closed comb. Super easy to find the right angle and a nice smooth mild shave. Even with a feather loaded and the blade is clamped down real tight giving a comfortable ATG pass.

-Feather AS-D2
-RR Mamba (.53 & .70)
-RR Game Changer (.68)
-ATT M1
-Karve (plates A,B,C)
-Timeless (.68)

Also having read through & seen your comments, allow me to add some thoughts. First, my opinion is that the RR Game Changer (.68) would be perfect for what you're looking for. It is modern, it is stainless steel, it is cnc machined with tight tolerances, it has a light polished finish, it has an easy to find intuitive angle, it is beautifully smooth & provides easy irritation free shaves, it's only $55!!. However, it has been discontinued so it could only be obtained second hand through BST (if someone is willing to part ways with it forever) & possibly at a higher price.

Second, since you're not big on razors with a small window of finding that perfect angle, I think that eliminates the Feather AS-D2, & honestly both Mamba (.53 & .70). This narrows it down to the ATT M1 (never used so I have no input), and the Karve (plates A,B,C), & the Timeless (.68).

Both Karve & Timeless would be excellent choices IMO. They both receive constant high accolades here on the forums. It would just come down to personal preference of metals, looks, how much you want to spend, etc...

So to recap: my choice would be the RR Game Changer (.68) if you can find one. The Feather & Mamba's have picky angles. The Karve & Timeless (.68) are both solid choices.

One last additional thought to ponder: if you plan on one day shaving the whole beard off, you may want to seriously consider the Rex Ambassador (stainless steel adjustable) as @Scaramouche suggested. It really does provide amazing easy irritation free shaves on the lower settings, but also would be suitable for tackling the whole beard & face. It is very high quality & is worthy to look into!

Wow, thanks for that great, detailed post!

Also thanks for the knowledge of the angles between the different types.

I'm starting to lean towards the karve, but looking at the Rex ambassador, wow. That thing looks awesome!

Wow, thanks for that great, detailed post!

Also thanks for the knowledge of the angles between the different types.

I'm starting to lean towards the karve, but looking at the Rex ambassador, wow. That thing looks awesome!

It is awesome! Check out the Rex passaround tour thread here in DE section & get signed up for a turn at using it.

+1 on the Mamba. The original was extremely mild but very efficient, and the Mamba 70 retained the mildness but added a bit more efficiency. This is a razor where, after the first pass, you need to check the razor head to make sure you loaded a blade because it is that smooth.

I just googled that model and they are currently sold out at The Italian Barber. :a36:

Game Changer .68, best purchase I have made. Super smooth with Astra SP, Feather and Voskhod for me. We really need to petition RR to make more .68s. I would buy a spare for me and another for my son.

You might want to check out the Rockwell 6S. It would give you the option of
dialing in the aggressiveness that works best for you, or to switch up the changeable
plates based on how you or your neck is feeling. The general consensus is that it's
a pretty mild razor even when using the more aggressive plates.

My experience with it and the Popular it is like Feather purposely designed the razors to suck except when used with their Feather blades. Never got a decent shave out of either except with a Feather. If you already prefer shaving with Feathers then it is a non-issue as long as you don't change blade brands.

The AS-D2 is the only razor that I've used with a feather blade where I didn't draw blood. They work so well together that I just order 100 Feather DE blades. No looking back! The combination is perfect.

Not to confuse things but the Timeless Bronze .38 SB is smooth, mild and a very good price. Timeless also gives you a 30 day trial time and if you don’t like it send it back

-Feather AS-D2
-RR Mamba (.53 & .70)
-RR Game Changer (.68)
-ATT M1
-Karve (plates A,B,C)
-Timeless (.68)

This has my vote for post of the thread. Everything that @ShavePastor said is right on the money. I have owned all the listed razors except the Timeless and Feather, but I agree that the GC68 and Karve are obvious contenders together with the Timeless.

As a former owner of the ATT M1, let me advise you against it. Not that it is a bad razor...on the contrary...very well made and will last a lifetime. The problem I had with it is that the blade rigidity isn't what it should be, so the razor will chatter quite a bit and in my case, that chattering and flexing caused irritation. So I sold it. Notice the sheer amount of M1, R1 and H1 versions selling on ebay at a given time...if you want to buy an ATT razor, I would recommend trying the Windsor which has covered tabs and a wider top cap, reducing the blade exposure and adding rigidity which has reportedly made this a much smoother razor. Those models seem to never make it on the bay, which seems like a good sign to me.

I would also like to add the Fatip Gentile to the mix. Despite its low price tag, it is one of my finest and favorite razors. Ultra smooth yet plenty efficient, and while the head geometry is similar to the Mambas, the shaving angle is orders of magnitude easier to find.

Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have a Calypso M1, it is too smoot, with ATT Atlas S1 you can have a smoot razor but quite efficient.
Feather (i have Popular, same BG to the ASD-2) is good only with his Feather Blades
Karve probably is the best option.

Why don't you buy a Rex Ambassador, smooth, very well done and adjustable, more options to find your ideal shave nirvana...

Buy a vintage Gillette Tech and use the rest of your loot on top tier blades, soaps & a latest gen. synthetic brush. You'll be way ahead of the curve as new esoteric "boutique" razors are only better at "shaving" your wallet. ;)

My vote is for the ATT Windsor "M" for closed comb, and PAA Ascension DOC (in stainless) if you're seeking an open comb.

No longer produced would be a late US model Gillette Tech, or iKon B1 Open Comb Deluxe.

~Kai

+1 on the Fatip Gentile. Made of brass and the price won't break you.
I’m a huge fan of the gentile but in my opinion it still has a fair amount of blade feel. Enough that I think someone looking for a mild razor would want to stay away. Just my humble opinion.

Of the razors I own that might meet your specs are the Timeless Bronze safety bar and the Blackland Blackbird safety bar razors. Both are relatively mild (Timeless a bit more mild than the Blackbird) and both are efficient. Since getting my Blackbird, all other razors have stayed in the drawer. This razor is the bomb....very close, comfortable shaves. I came from using Merkur 34C and Techs mainly and the Blackbird dials it up a notch without irritation.

Top Bottom