What's new

Mild modern machined razors?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Other than the difference in blade gap (0.53 vs 0.68), what's the difference between the Mamba and Gamechanger? Does the smaller gap of the Mamba make it more mild? Which one compares most to a tech?

Edit: looks like the gamechanger has a positive blade exposure and the mamba is closer to neutral.

The Game Changer .68 offers negative blade exposure. The .84, neutral blade exposure.

RazoRock GC68.png

RazoRock GC84.png

The design of the Mamba base and the GC bases are slightly different. The GC base supports the blade at the center point, the Mamba does not. See the below post.

RR Mamba.
razorock-mamba-70-three-pieces_1024x1024-jpg.942960

RR Game Changer .84.
razorock-gamechanger84-baseplate_550x825-jpg.942961

Notice the raised portion of the baseplate, thats also at the center of the blade. That will help with blade support.

The more I look at the GC the more I like it. I just wish they'd increase blade exposure to even slightly positive with minimal gap and decrease the size of the lather slots.

I cant speak to gap or blade exposure of the Mamba.

He didn't like how picky the feather as-d2 was about angle, he'd hate the Mamba. I've heard the GC68 is the same but a bit more forgiving in that respect. The GC84 is the one with the wider range of cutting angles.

He didn't like how picky the feather as-d2 was about angle, he'd hate the Mamba. I've heard the GC68 is the same but a bit more forgiving in that respect. The GC84 is the one with the wider range of cutting angles.

Blade gap and exposure are just indicators on how a razor might feel but in the case of a GC84 even with neutral blade exposure it isn't a mild razor at all.

Mild razors that work well on me are the English Tech (ET) and the Gillette slim/fat boy and the Karve B plate.

Of the 3 the most intuitive would be the ET, it works across a wide range of angles and gives nice feedback when it's cutting.
The slim/fat boy has imo a slightly smaller angle to work with especially on lower settings and I find myself applying more pressure than necessary.
The Karve is a bit of strange beast that's very similar to a gillette new sc in that it is very effecient but silent. There is very little feedback so I'm left wondering if it's cutting or not when it's alrdy given me a DFS on the first pass lol.

The only issues I have with the ET are the awfully light, too short slim aluminium handle plus the exposed blade tabs. Other that that, it is IMHO one of the finest razors ever made.

...The slim/fat boy has imo a slightly smaller angle to work with especially on lower settings and I find myself applying more pressure than necessary...

The Fatboy had larger domed silo doors than the later Slim which was after approx. 1963 when Gillette went to a smaller dome size. The smaller domed Slim shaves more intuitively and the shave angle was changed a tad as a result.

The Fatboy had larger domed silo doors than the later Slim which was after approx. 1963 when Gillette went to a smaller dome size. The smaller domed Slim shaves more intuitively and the shave angle was changed a tad as a result.

Absolutely, the slim is an easier razor to use which is why it's my daily driver. However, it works best w a shallow angle. For those who shave with a steeper angle it doesn't work quite as well unless the settings are above 5.

My main concern for the op is that he doesn't dare to go higher than a 3 on a fat boy and that is really mild like a 2 on a slim.

A gc would be completely out of the question as it's really aggressive like a 7 or 8 at least on a slim.

An A plate on a karve would be all I would recommend based upon Chris's chart and my personal experience w a fatboy, slim and karve b plate. However, I will still stand behind the ET as one of the best mild razors ever made. It's is extremely intuitive because its almost like the razor is talking to you while shaving. Blade feedback is there, so you know if it's working or not and it's so mild yet effecient that I can use feathers to astras and know I'll get a bbs shave every time without fear of nicks.

For the life of me I don't understand why blade "feedback" is so essential. The proof is in the results after the pass, not the sound. As well, "feedback" in no way equates performance and oft times it signifies poor blade rigidity with the razor being used. Just my 2 cents after years of doing this and having used a plethora of razors & blades, etc.

Blade gap and exposure are just indicators on how a razor might feel but in the case of a GC84 even with neutral blade exposure it isn't a mild razor at all.

I have a Barbaros with its enormous 1.15mm of Blade Gap...not aggressive at all, more friendly than a Fatip Gentile that is only 0.7 mm for my skin/beard in my opinion.
Yes Barbaros is not a very mild razor but BG is only a component of aggressiveness.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
As well, "feedback" in no way equates performance and oft times it signifies poor blade rigidity with the razor being used.

It can equate to performance, but in general yep, I agree with you. The blade in my Gillette Regent Tech vibrates and makes a lot of noise. Thats because it lacks rigidity. Because it lacks that rigidity and has so much blade exposure, its not the easiest razor to use. It does however shave very closely.

I eliminated that completely with two tape strips on the blade tray.
IMG_2488.jpg

See this post.

The blade tray is flat and as the razor closes the blade tray rises forcing the blade against the doors giving it its curve.

The two very small points marked in red are the only places the blade is clamped. Only at each point, not between each point. Basically a corner of the blade tray and again at the edge of the door.

In the next picture, the lower green line would be roughly where the blade is when the razor is fully closed. The upper green line is roughly the inside surface of the doors. The space between is airspace. No blade support.

@AimlessWanderer Heres another example of The Squiggly Green Line™ lol.

Because that razor only has two very small points for bearing surfaces of the blade between tray and doors, combined with the more than generous blade exposure it offers, when I use that razor the blade can chatter. This is also why I believe these particular early Gillette TTO's to be so much more audible or noisy shavers. The center of the blade chatters against the inside of the doors and the head basically acts like an echo chamber.

howdy!

I've got a bit of RAD flare up going on at the moment, and have been considering getting a modern, machined razor.

However, I tend to prefer a mild shaver. I have a full beard and only shave my neck, and it tends to be sensitive. I've primarily used a pre war fat handle tech for the last 3-4 years, but have recently been switching it up with a NDC 40's super speed, which seems even more comfortable, though I don't like the big head as much. I've also had a few shaves with a recently acquired fat boy. I find 3 to be as aggressive as I would care to go so far.

So, what modern, machined razors are out there that are mild like the tech or ndc super speed? By "machined," I basically mean no ZAMAK. I prefer either stainless steel or brass (like the karve).

So far, I know of:

1) feather as-d2. I've tried this and found it a bit too mild. Also don't care for the fact that it's plated.
2) karve. If I understand it correctly, the B and C plates are probably close to the tech/ndc super speed.
3) ATT M1. Seems like opinions are mixed on its mildness due to the blade exposure?

Any others that you know of?

Thanks!
I would like to add you can look into Rockwell 6c or 6s. It comes with all 6 plated at an affordable price! From less aggressive to more aggressive.

For the life of me I don't understand why blade "feedback" is so essential. The proof is in the results after the pass, not the sound. As well, "feedback" in no way equates performance and oft times it signifies poor blade rigidity with the razor being used.

+1 to the above. A razor's blade rigidity (a positive trait to me) directly affects its harmonics. Its science - a tight blade has less/limited vibration (harmonic) capability than a looser one. Sure metallurgy of the blade itself can also be a huge variable in that equation depending on how much of the blade extends past its last point of contact with the razor and what it's made out of, but blade rigidity is the constant in that equation, and the only consistent factor. My 2¢.

~Kai

P.S. Less blade vibration also proportionally reduces the micro-abrasions that come from 'blade chatter' that add irritation to more sensitive shavers. Not as big of a factor with shavers with 'Mugs of Steel'.

I have a Barbaros with its enormous 1.15mm of Blade Gap...not aggressive at all, more friendly than a Fatip Gentile that is only 0.7 mm for my skin/beard in my opinion.
Yes Barbaros is not a very mild razor but BG is only a component of aggressiveness.

Completely agree. The fact a gillette new sc has almost zero gap yet is rather more aggressive than my tech proves that bg is just an indicator.

+1 to the above. A razor's blade rigidity (a positive trait to me) directly affects its harmonics. Its science - a tight blade has less/limited vibration (harmonic) capability than a looser one. Sure metallurgy of the blade itself can also be a huge variable in that equation depending on how much of the blade extends past its last point of contact with the razor and what it's made out of, but blade rigidity is the constant in that equation, and the only consistent factor. My 2¢.

~Kai

P.S. Less blade vibration also proportionally reduces the micro-abrasions that come from 'blade chatter' that add irritation to more sensitive shavers. Not as big of a factor with shavers with 'Mugs of Steel'.

I too agree with what you have said but to each his own. I'm a relative newbie to de shaving so I'll defer to the advice of others. I may lack the experience to use some razors well so perhaps feedback helps.

Probably the best mild razors are Karve Christopher Bradley B plate 3,5" Handle, Above he Tie S1 Slant but not with Atlas Handle, it is too short.

A7692E74-9263-481F-9EA3-D6A45C4A02FA.jpeg
All three Timeless .68, Raw Shaving Mild (it is mild as they mark it) and ATT M2 (don’t have M1 - on the picture is R1 much more aggressive) are all quite mild. Using different blade may increase or decrease efficiency. They all great and can be used as one and only razor forever. In addition you can view them as men’s jewelry especially in polished.
There obviously more razors there, these are what I have a hands on experience with.
One that I may also add is Mercur Futur, for me it was smooth and when closed it was mild, plus you can figure out angle and venture in to more aggressive settings without spending money. Something to do with Futur angle that just works. Great training razor before RAD takes over.

The Feather AS D2 is a nice razor, you didn't seem to like it but a bit more experimenting might be beneficial. Mine is all stainless. The Timeless with the .78 gap in Bronze is very efficient plus gorgeous to look at. A very hefty razor as well.

My experience with it and the Popular it is like Feather purposely designed the razors to suck except when used with their Feather blades. Never got a decent shave out of either except with a Feather. If you already prefer shaving with Feathers then it is a non-issue as long as you don't change blade brands.
My experience with the Feather Popular was good with Voskhod, and Astra.

The Timeless .68 is painfully mild, pun intended. I prefer my Game Changer .84, Timeless .95, and Charcoal Goods level 2 for most shaves, but the Timeless .68 gets pulled out when I'm shaving in less than ideal conditions. Poor prep, bad lighting, irritated skin, whatever. It always delivers a smooth, comfortable shave.

Top Bottom