What's new

Mild modern machined razors?

howdy!

I've got a bit of RAD flare up going on at the moment, and have been considering getting a modern, machined razor.

However, I tend to prefer a mild shaver. I have a full beard and only shave my neck, and it tends to be sensitive. I've primarily used a pre war fat handle tech for the last 3-4 years, but have recently been switching it up with a NDC 40's super speed, which seems even more comfortable, though I don't like the big head as much. I've also had a few shaves with a recently acquired fat boy. I find 3 to be as aggressive as I would care to go so far.

So, what modern, machined razors are out there that are mild like the tech or ndc super speed? By "machined," I basically mean no ZAMAK. I prefer either stainless steel or brass (like the karve).

So far, I know of:

1) feather as-d2. I've tried this and found it a bit too mild. Also don't care for the fact that it's plated.
2) karve. If I understand it correctly, the B and C plates are probably close to the tech/ndc super speed.
3) ATT M1. Seems like opinions are mixed on its mildness due to the blade exposure?

Any others that you know of?

Thanks!

The Timeless .68 is about the smoothest, most comfortable razor that you're going to find. Surprisingly efficient considering how comfortable it is to shave with. Still the most comfortable razor I've ever shaved with. This one comes in stainless steel or titanium.

A Charcoal Goods Lvl1 is another that would be a good choice for you if you're looking for mild but still efficient. Brass or maybe copper for this one.

Italian Barber - The Mamba. and the Gamechanger is .68. Original Mamba is a nice mild razor. Now offered in the .70 gap.

Italian Barber - The Mamba. and the Gamechanger is .68. Original Mamba is a nice mild razor. Now offered in the .70 gap.
+1 on the Mamba. The original was extremely mild but very efficient, and the Mamba 70 retained the mildness but added a bit more efficiency. This is a razor where, after the first pass, you need to check the razor head to make sure you loaded a blade because it is that smooth.

+1 on the Mamba. The original was extremely mild but very efficient, and the Mamba 70 retained the mildness but added a bit more efficiency. This is a razor where, after the first pass, you need to check the razor head to make sure you loaded a blade because it is that smooth.
+2 on the Mamba .70 being smooth & efficient. The Game Changer .84 would also be an excellent choice but I find the Mamba to be a little bit smoother.

Timeless makes an excellent razor but IMHO the offerings from RazoRock are equal in performance at a much lower cost.

Other than the difference in blade gap (0.53 vs 0.68), what's the difference between the Mamba and Gamechanger? Does the smaller gap of the Mamba make it more mild? Which one compares most to a tech?

Edit: looks like the gamechanger has a positive blade exposure and the mamba is closer to neutral.

Other than the difference in blade gap (0.53 vs 0.68), what's the difference between the Mamba and Gamechanger? Does the smaller gap of the Mamba make it more mild? Which one compares most to a tech?

Edit: looks like the gamechanger has a positive blade exposure and the mamba is closer to neutral.

Oops, I didn't see the reference to the .70 version of the Mamba. I was looking on Italian barber's site and they don't appear to have that one.

Edit: I don't see the .70 version on the razorock site either. Maybe its discontinued?

Oops, I didn't see the reference to the .70 version of the Mamba. I was looking on Italian barber's site and they don't appear to have that one.

Edit: I don't see the .70 version on the razorock site either. Maybe its discontinued?

Production is rather limited on the razorock n karves. They are just hard to get.

The issue I have w rr is they keep changing their razor designs and so if you really liked a razor u best buy a few before it becomes obsolete.
At least w karve it's a simple matter of getting a plate n not the whole razor.

Of the bunch discussed, I've used the AS-D2, Timeless .68, and the ATT M1. I'd rank them in increasing aggressiveness in that order, but they are all "mild" razors. Any of them will give you a great shave, the modifier for me being that the Feather requires a little more effort in technique and blade angle to actually cut efficiently, and the M1 requires more attention to prevent razor burn. The Timeless is in the Goldilocks spot for me, with the most efficiency for the least effort and greatest comfort. If you want to spend the $$, the Rex Ambassador gives you the best of possible worlds. YMMV.

Since you want a mild razor, I suggest the AS-D2 of the options discussed. It is well made and offers good shaves when paired with a sharp blade.

Since you want a mild razor, I suggest the AS-D2 of the options discussed. It is well made and offers good shaves when paired with a sharp blade.

I am going to advise against this route for the reason of the cost of an AS-D2. You are better off getting a lot cheaper Feather Popular which is the budget version of this razor. If you don't like that you are only out about $20 as opposed to over $100 if you don't like the AS-D2. You could resell it but you will take a loss on that. If you like the Popular when you decide to upgrade to the AS-D2 you can always relegate the Popular to a travel razor or PIF it off later on. Good luck trying to sell one of them used considering the price for a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions of the feather as-d2. I've actually already tried that razor in the past, and while it is a comfortable level of mildness, I found it much to picky about angles. When it works, it works, but if the angle is a bit off, I found it didn't remove hair at all.

Thanks for the suggestions of the feather as-d2. I've actually already tried that razor in the past, and while it is a comfortable level of mildness, I found it much to picky about angles. When it works, it works, but if the angle is a bit off, I found it didn't remove hair at all.

My experience with it and the Popular it is like Feather purposely designed the razors to suck except when used with their Feather blades. Never got a decent shave out of either except with a Feather. If you already prefer shaving with Feathers then it is a non-issue as long as you don't change blade brands.

Top Bottom