What's new

Mild DE Razors

What do you good people consider the mildest razor you've ever used? Personal experience only.
No: "I knew a guy who knew someone who was of the opinion that..."

I have a Weidi. It seems it has no name, just a brand. It's black/dark grey, and silly Amazon insists it is a butterfly opening although it is a three-piece.
It gives a lovely mild shave, but needs a sharp blade rather than a smooth one. Not a Derby, but Baili green. Wonderful blades.
I bought it for £10, then it shot up to £20 after two 5-star reviews. Now it's £18.
I bought one of these in great condition about a decade or so ago.

Vintage Eclipse Red Ring

Pretty razor but pretty useless on my beard. :)

proxy.php

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
A few posters imagine that I am a novice shaver and looking for a very mild razor, but that's not so.
I wanted to know what people called Mild. Most of the razors I bought are overly aggressive. Cheap ones usually are.
When I think of mild razors a Slim on #1 comes to mind, with a huge plus on comfort. My Slim on #4 is one of my favorite razors.
Pretty much any tech made after the 1960's. Early tech's not so mild.
If you want cheap and mild it is hard to go wrong with the RR DE1, I consider it even milder than the RR SLOC, and I keep a Feather Popular around if I want a nice mild shave with a modern TTO, a Gillette Flare Tip when I'm in the mood for vintage.

If you want to know what I consider aggressive we are talking R41 territory, or a Karve with a G baseplate. Vintage aggressive for me would be a Gillette Old Type with the Thin Cap.

~doug~

Lord L5 (Tech Clone) is pretty mild too.
And Feather Popular.
But with the right blade you can still get a decent shave.

Razorock Mamba 53...my first stainless steel razor after my Muhle ate itself.
Mild, on mild, on mild.
Well made, lovely wee razor. Too mild for me but I keep it as a pet.
Maybe once I get past 80 my skin might demand a really mild razor and the Mamba will be the one.
Without a doubt, the RazoRock Mamba 53 is a serious shave tool.

I would rather shave with the Mamba followed by Feather ASD2 and then the RazoRock DE1.

I'm new to DE shaving and have only tried 4 in the past month or so and my first was the Feather Popular. That razor was way too mild for me. Hard to cut yourself with thankfully but didn't leave me with a close shave even with the included Feather blade. It wasn't a horrible shave by any means and would be great if you didn't need/want a close shave.

But I settled on the R89 out of the 4 I have tried. The Krona needs a little more shaves to better say but I'd put it feeling slightly milder then the R89 and not quite as audible feedback. Someday I hope to find a nice TTO that is similar to the R89 head.

Something I wonder is how much variety each razor has. For example my Feather Popular didn't provide a close shave but others say they have no problems with close shaves using it. Maybe if someone bought 5-10 of a single razor and tested them out they could report on the variety of each razor. Toss in getting ones from different eras and times with 10-20 years or more difference and perhaps you get even more variety in the results?

Something I wonder is how much variety each razor has. For example my Feather Popular didn't provide a close shave but others say they have no problems with close shaves using it. Maybe if someone bought 5-10 of a single razor and tested them out they could report on the variety of each razor. Toss in getting ones from different eras and times with 10-20 years or more difference and perhaps you get even more variety in the results?
While there could be variances in razors I would think it may not be a razor issue. One of the biggest things I have learned over the years is the importance of proper face prep. I have experienced how different a shave can be when I have good face prep (my whiskers are well hydrated, my face is clean, etc) and when I do very little face prep. The quality of the lather is a big deal. Experience in wet shaving in general (so you know how things should feel to get the right angle with a new razor) is huge as well. Which blades used with the razor can make a big difference as well. Not to mention the sensitivity of the other people's skin, toughness of their beard, etc. So all those factors come into play that make any given razor work for one person and not work for another. Unfortunately, you don't usually get those details when people talk about comparing results for a given razor, so it can be difficult to compare the results of the shaves.

I picked up a King C Gillette from Walgreens last summer. Though it's a nice looking razor, it was just too mild for me. It felt like no matter the blade I used I could not get a decent shave out of it. I gave it to my girlfriend's brother along with 5 tucks of Derby Extra that I never use.

Top Bottom