What's new

Mild Case of Buyer's Remorse on First Handgun Purchase

I bought a Bond Arms Snake Slayer IV a few weeks ago for home defense with all of the recent unrest in the world. I just figured it was time. I love the gun, but I have to admit in retrospect that I was probably more concerned with aesthetics than I should have been. It is a BEAUTIFUL gun. But it's also a single action two shot pistol. I am now regretting that I didn't buy something semi automatic with a larger capacity. I know that I'm still in better shape now than when I didn't own a gun at all, but if I had it to do over again I don't think the Bond Arms pistol would be my first gun. Do any of you guys use it or something similar as your primary home defense firearm?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Have you shot it yet? I am curious about how you think it handled?

It is a good looking pistol. And while I personally wouldn’t have chosen a $700 Derringer for my first gun, I believe very much in the statement, ”to each their own.”

If you wanted it and like it and it shoots well for you, then most likely, you will have the proclivity to practice and become very proficient with it.

“Beware of the man with just one gun. He probably knows how to use it.”

-Clint Smith

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Have you shot it yet? I am curious about how you think it handled?

It is a good looking pistol. And while I personally wouldn’t have chosen a $700 Derringer for my first gun, I believe very much in the statement, ”to each their own.”

If you wanted it and like it and it shoots well for you, then most likely, you will have the proclivity to practice and become very proficient with it.

-Clint Smith

This, x2. Shoot it a lot. Hit with it. Become super-proficient.

Isn't it also true that the presence of ANY gun is a factor in preventing violence?

Nobody wants to get shot, even if it's a .25 ACP.

Those Bond Arms do have a cool factor; love their ads (lady driver unleashes lead rain!)

I'd actually assume one who carries a Bond Arms knows so much about guns, they feel comfortable with a two-shot ...

AA

Thanks guys. And no, I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Hoping to very soon but I just never seem to have a free minute.

It's a 45LC/.410 caliber pistol, so I bought some Sig Sauer 45LC hollow points, some Winchester PDX1 Defender .410 shells, and some Hornady .410 Triple Defense shells. I guess when I get to the range I'll just shoot half of each box. It costs enough that I don't want to use all of it at a range.

I don't know, but if you want something for home: many people will recommend shotgun...some are inexpensive. Maverick 88 , Remington 870....

Handguns, there are a million different ones in the market.... I suggest reading some about it (remember many people will do only good reviews)

I call that feeling: "moral" hangover.... when you feel bad about spending money in such a thing.

Now: to feel better, overcome you sentiment, and have more firepower.... research and get something else...(9mm, some good quality police trade ins can be found)

This petite lady I know got one of those super light SW 357 revolvers as her 1st gun... hated it... I tried it out and was NOT pleasant to shoot at all. My words were: "let me guess, some "meathead" recommended it.... and that was the case. I shot a few times at a public range and saw a few people come with those short pistol grip shotguns...one or two shots was all they lasted.

Kind of a niche gun in my view. I tend to be obnoxious with advice for a first hand gun. But a glock19, SWm&p 9, HK VP9 or CZ 75b are all winners in my book. This coming from a bigger wheel gun guy.

You can certainly find some enjoyment out of the Bond Arms but its akin to showing up to a bicycle race on a unicycle as it pertains to a regular range toy or primary defensive tool.

Interesting choice. It certainly wouldn’t be my first choice, but you should shoot it...A LOT. A weapon you are not proficient with in a high pressure situation is essentially a club. Recommend a pump action shotgun for home, remove the plug and you’ll have 5 rounds for close quarters home defense.

Kind of a niche gun in my view. I tend to be obnoxious with advice for a first hand gun. But a glock19, SWm&p 9, HK VP9 or CZ 75b are all winners in my book. This coming from a bigger wheel gun guy.

You can certainly find some enjoyment out of the Bond Arms but its akin to showing up to a bicycle race on a unicycle as it pertains to a regular range toy or primary defensive tool.

The Smith & Wesson M&P models are what I'm looking at now to correct my mistake. I'm definitely keeping the Bond Arms, but I don't intend for it to retain its status as the main home defense gun in my house.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I'm a proponent of small size small caliber handguns for self defense. Although there are always lots of folk that will naysay them the fact is that importation of the small caliber small size handguns was not banned because they were hard to conceal, ineffective or unreliable. In fact it was just the opposite.

I do recommend something with more than two shots and that is small enough that you will actually carry it at all times. The really neat gun that's in the drawer or in the safe or hidden nearby is not going to be much help if you need it NOW; and honestly, if any of us ever do need it NOW it will be unexpected and a surprise.

I recommend fondling as many as possible before buying anything. Try to shoot examples and pay attention to several possible issues.

Can it be concealed?
Can it be drawn easily regardless of your position?
Can you reliably hit a small area repeatedly when the handgun is held near your body and without sighting?

The little Bond gun does one of those things but honestly the sucker is hard to manage and less than controllable without extensive practice.

[QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

There's a lot to that. Back in my college days the only centerfire rifle I had was a Win 70 featherweight in 30-06, I could not afford factory ammo so learned to reload for it, and I could really shoot it. A few days before graduation I found a S&W K-38 and then over the summer and fall before entering the USAF I could say the same. Over the ensuing 50+ years I have accumulated more guns and am no longer as good with any of them as I was in those days with one rifle and one handgun.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I agree with it being a "niche gun", albeit a fine, well built one. I think you are on track with a quality 9mm in the form of a Glock 19 or S&W M&P or similar. But do put the Bond Arms through it's paces and report back!

The Smith & Wesson M&P models are what I'm looking at now to correct my mistake. I'm definitely keeping the Bond Arms, but I don't intend for it to retain its status as the main home defense gun in my house.
You really can’t go wrong with any of the 4 mentioned and they are all generally available for reasonable prices. If you want to save some money, buy a used smith. No need to spend more if you don’t have to.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

M&P? I used to like you David.

If you can go to a range that also sells guns, I recommend renting a few different guns and shooting to see what you are comfortable with. Also, consider things like the layout of your house, and if other people are in it, etc. If you're thinking of a shotgun, consider the spray pattern. For any weapon, if you shoot at someone and miss, where is that lead going/going through?

Whatever you end up using, put a lot of rounds through it.

There is time to redeem yourself. I recently bought two Taurus G2C pistols (12+1) for $169 a piece and those damn things shoot! Very accurate, lightweight and easy to clean. Manual safety, trigger safety, visual and tactile indicator when ready to fire, and a nice divot to rest your index finger on if you're still practicing trigger discipline like my wife. They also came with two 12 round magazines each (13 rounds followed by 12 gives you pretty good odds). Get off my lawn, filthy looters.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Wise decision. Something more practical, would be better for home defense. S&W M&P's along with their Shield models make great home defense and for carry at very reasonable prices. My older brother who has always been a revolver guy has recently expressed interest in getting his first semi.

He is very tight with his money. He can pinch a penny so hard it will actually disappear. I recently found him a barely used, Taurus G2C 9mm for $150. It's considered a bargain gun, but it has been very reliable and easy to carry for him so far.

If I had to have a black semi and didnt reload, I'd be looking for a used or police trade-in Glock 9mm in whatever size struck my fancy at the time...No, I am not a Glock guy, but was saddled with carrying one daily for about 20 years. They simply work with little care or maintenance.

Top Bottom