What's new

Mike’s Vs Haslinger’s

Hey Y’all!!

Mike’s Natural Soaps and Haslinger schafmilch have their fans around these parts. Currently, I am working through my first puck of Mike’s, very easy lather and good post shave feel. I’m wanting to try some Haslinger schafmilch because of its good reviews around here, but I wanted to know from those who have either tried both Mike’s and Haslinger’s or currently have both, how do they compare? Is Haslinger’s as easy to lather? Does Haslinger’s provide good cushion and post shave feel (most important to me)? How does Haslinger’s react wth sensitive skin? Thank you great community of insight!

I’ll be following. I’ve used Haslinger for 8 years and tried all but the coconut. They were all great performers, but I liked the creaminess of the Schafsmilch and Honig which I use at least one every week.

Mine are old formula with tallow and that is no more. Guys around these parts say the new formula works just as well, last I noted. If so, they are wonderful soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the opposite of you; I've tried Haslinger (Schafmilch and also Ringelblumen) but not yet Mike's, which I'm super curious about. The Haslinger pucks I tried were the new non-Tallow formula. The pucks are quite small but also quite hard. Overall I was slightly disappointed with Haslinger considering how well regarded it is around here. I suspect the Tallow version used to be better. I found my pucks to be average lathering ease, but not a cinch, though I do have hard water. Slickness was fair/mediocre for me, causing several minor nicks/cuts per shave. Lather is not bad, but I have better soaps in my den. Post shave feel, if I remember correctly, was fine, maybe a bit dry, but again, nothing spectacular overall. I thought the scents were nice, although somewhat on the mild feminine side? Schafmilch smelled like my Nana. Not bad, but I don't want to smell that every day.

I'd suggest you try Haslinger for yourself. It is only $5 per puck if you buy it from one of the better UK or Euro online shops.

I would save the Schafmilch for cold weather. You don't really need the lanolin in hot weather. I'd suggest a scent such as Coconut, Ringelblumen, Sage or Aloe Vera. Don't expect a glorious scent from Haslinger; a mild, pleasant scent is what they offer. In any case, the scents don't linger. Haslinger lather is very easily produced and very good. People who complain about slickness generally did not use enough water, enough product, or both.

I prefer Mike’s. I think that Haslinger gives a thicker lather, but to me Mike’s has better slickness and post-shave feel.

I prefer Mike’s. I think that Haslinger gives a thicker lather, but to me Mike’s has better slickness and post-shave feel.
+1 on this. For me Mikes is the winner in terms of performance and comfort. Haslinger lathers up faster and produces a fluffier and more photogenic lather. Mikes lather is not as voluminous but has the typical tallow dense creaminess. It is super slick and very nourishing to the skin. Tallow, Lanolin, Clay and Kokum Butter are all in the mix. No preservatives or nasties. To my nose Mikes smells better. YMMV of course. Both are worth a try but of the two only Mikes made it into my top six keepers.

Great insight fellas! Just what I was looking for. I have very sensitive skin, so has anyone with sensitive skin used Haslinger’s? How did your skin react to it? I love Mike’s! Definitely going to get more.

I have all eight Haslinger options (mostly their old ‘tallow’): great soaps for me with mild scents! The vegan is almost as good IMO. For me, the main thing is that Haslinger soaps are VERY THIRSTY!

Still need to try Mikes, so I cannot comment on those.

Great insight fellas! Just what I was looking for. I have very sensitive skin, so has anyone with sensitive skin used Haslinger’s? How did your skin react to it? I love Mike’s! Definitely going to get more.
I have not had any reaction to it. If you are sensitive to lanolin, the Schafmilch is the only variety that has that ingredient. If you are sensitive to nuts, some of the varieties contain peanut oil.

There is a newer variety of Haslinger out now called Sensitive. It has a mild Aloe Vera scent. It uses more coconut oil than palm oil and does not contain lanolin or peanut oil.

Wow! Thank you for the information on the lanolin in Haslinger’s @Atlantic59 . I know I’m not allergic to nuts, but does MWF have lanolin (I really wanted to like it since it has fans here)? My skin did not do well with that soap at all : (

I pass on both nowadays. There are just too many better options the past 3 years. I liked the performance of old Haslinger better but Mike’s was quite good when you factor in scents. If old haslinger was made I would still buy it.

I pass on both nowadays. There are just too many better options the past 3 years. I liked the performance of old Haslinger better but Mike’s was quite good when you factor in scents. If old haslinger was made I would still buy it.
@pwill112 What soaps do you like better than Haslinger’s and Mike’s? Why? Is the post-shave feel better?

Wow! Thank you for the information on the lanolin in Haslinger’s @Atlantic59 . I know I’m not allergic to nuts, but does MWF have lanolin (I really wanted to like it since it has fans here)? My skin did not do well with that soap at all : (
MWF and Mike's both have lanolin in them, so if Mike's doesn't bother you MWF shouldn't either.

I had a couple pucks of the Haslinger tallow coconut - excellent. When they dropped tallow I switched to Mikes coconut. Just as slick, good post shave feel. Haslinger maybe had slight edge on scent but not by much.

Top Bottom