What's new

Middle Eastern Coffee

It's called a "boil" when the foam rises, but it's not actually at boiling temperature. Some folks say that sugar helps create a better foam, and there's ample scientific background supporting that, even if it's applied in an anecdotal way. It's the same thing that makes a nice coating on cakes and cookies.

Any quality dark roasted bean, ground super fine, will provide a great Turkish coffee. The big key is in the tools and method of preparation. If you don't have an ibrik at home, I'm not sure how well just small pan of water with the grounds in it will work in comparison.

its how i do it. works fine.

Reviving thread!

My weekend drink (I don't care to get up early enough on weekdays to bother). I also add ground cardamom, as is traditional. My ibrik is big enough to make a mugful. (I would love to get a pretty coffee set, but A. I don't have room to store it and B. why'm I gonna get a fancy coffee set to drink it by myself? Even if I tended to have people over, I don't know anyone but me who'd touch the stuff.)

Sometimes I like to go out for it as well, but this sometimes backfires-- a couple times I've gone to my favorite place, and end up with regular coffee even though I order Arabic. One time the waitress tried to tell me they didn't serve it-- funny, I'd had it there the week before! I think either she just didn't know how to make it, or maybe they were out and she just didn't word it well. My rule when going out for it is that I don't specify how to make it-- what I get, according to whoever made it, I drink, which is sort of fun.

My mum's always on me about the fact that I like strong coffee. She's convinced I'll drop dead any day now. She refuses to listen when I try to point out the recent studies citing health benefits.

I usually add sugar at same time as water. Lately I've been doing the same with the cardamom. Boil three to four times, depending on my mood. Usually a good amount of sugar-- maybe a teaspoon?-- and a fair amount of cardamom as well (again, my mom's convinced I'm going to die from it).

I also made it in the microwave when my stove was broken for a little while... one cup with water and sugar to heat, and while that's going on, put coffee and cardamom in a second cup. Pour the hot water in. Not the same at all; part of my pleasure from it comes from the process with the stove and ibrik. When my stove got fixed, I'm not sure which I wanted to kiss more: my ibrik, or my spaghetti pot.

It's fun to tip your cup upside-down after and "read" your coffee grounds. I don't tend to see much exciting, but a few times I've gotten some cute pictures. :)

Reviving thread!

My weekend drink (I don't care to get up early enough on weekdays to bother). I also add ground cardamom, as is traditional. My ibrik is big enough to make a mugful. (I would love to get a pretty coffee set, but A. I don't have room to store it and B. why'm I gonna get a fancy coffee set to drink it by myself? Even if I tended to have people over, I don't know anyone but me who'd touch the stuff.)

Sometimes I like to go out for it as well, but this sometimes backfires-- a couple times I've gone to my favorite place, and end up with regular coffee even though I order Arabic. One time the waitress tried to tell me they didn't serve it-- funny, I'd had it there the week before! I think either she just didn't know how to make it, or maybe they were out and she just didn't word it well. My rule when going out for it is that I don't specify how to make it-- what I get, according to whoever made it, I drink, which is sort of fun.

My mum's always on me about the fact that I like strong coffee. She's convinced I'll drop dead any day now. She refuses to listen when I try to point out the recent studies citing health benefits.

I usually add sugar at same time as water. Lately I've been doing the same with the cardamom. Boil three to four times, depending on my mood. Usually a good amount of sugar-- maybe a teaspoon?-- and a fair amount of cardamom as well (again, my mom's convinced I'm going to die from it).

I also made it in the microwave when my stove was broken for a little while... one cup with water and sugar to heat, and while that's going on, put coffee and cardamom in a second cup. Pour the hot water in. Not the same at all; part of my pleasure from it comes from the process with the stove and ibrik. When my stove got fixed, I'm not sure which I wanted to kiss more: my ibrik, or my spaghetti pot.

It's fun to tip your cup upside-down after and "read" your coffee grounds. I don't tend to see much exciting, but a few times I've gotten some cute pictures. :)

Nice story :D

Top Bottom