What's new

Mid Level Aggression Razors

Hi guys, I've been using a DE89 since I started but I can't get a close shave on my neck without irritation. I used an R41 for a while and got a better shave on the neck but found it too aggressive overall. I'm wondering what are the best razors that are more aggressive than a DE89 but less aggressive than an R41. Thanks.

If you shim your EJ89 one time you may get the results you're looking for. Try not to cut too much off the shim, it will help make the cutting blade more rigid.

The postwar Tech will be more efficient than the EJ89.

If you're willing to spend a bit more then a Rockwell 6S would give you a range of options for aggression, and a very nice razor that should last as long as you do.

Schone oc
Schone Gold&Nickel.JPG

Schone oc

I bought one of these based on the love it seems to get. And, to be honest, your regular mention of it. I've been wanting to try an OC for a while, but have been hesitant due to the fact that they usually seem to be quite aggressive. This one doesn't seem to have that reputation, so it seemed like a good candidate for the job.
It's due in my office in the next couple of hours. I didn't shave last night/this morning, so tonight I'll have two days' worth of growth to test it out! I'm excited to give it a whirl.

I bought one of these based on the love it seems to get. And, to be honest, your regular mention of it. I've been wanting to try an OC for a while, but have been hesitant due to the fact that they usually seem to be quite aggressive. This one doesn't seem to have that reputation, so it seemed like a good candidate for the job.
It's due in my office in the next couple of hours. I didn't shave last night/this morning, so tonight I'll have two days' worth of growth to test it out! I'm excited to give it a whirl.
It's not a very well known razor but it has become one of my favorites. It is a very efficient razor but I don't think it is aggressive at all. My Piccolo is very efficient and very aggressive.

It's not a very well known razor but it has become one of my favorites. It is a very efficient razor but I don't think it is aggressive at all. My Piccolo is very efficient and very aggressive.
This is the kind of razor that, for me at least, requires a more mellow blade. With a Dorco, the shave is efficient and smooth, although I can't seem to get a BBS shave with it. Paired with a Personna red, I had a rough go with this razor: irritation, weepers etc.

Amazon.com : All Metal Textured Safety Razor Long Handle (Textured handle and smooth end) : Shaving Sets : Beauty
Same as the Mariner/Matador Toro Mastiff. About a 6-7 versus the 3-4 of the 89. The 89 or 41 cap will tone it down a bit and this cap on the 41 leaves a blade gap that makes the 41 feel like an 89.

This is a misleading post on Amazon, they should delete it. This is for the handle only. I ordered it - to my surprise a handle and some kind of odd head that seemed to be an insertion point for a cartridge razor.

Hi guys, I've been using a DE89 since I started but I can't get a close shave on my neck without irritation. I used an R41 for a while and got a better shave on the neck but found it too aggressive overall. I'm wondering what are the best razors that are more aggressive than a DE89 but less aggressive than an R41. Thanks.
Yes many. Here's are four really great ones: The Razorock Germany 37, The Schone Italian, the Parker Variant Adjustable, and the Merkur Progress.

How about an adjustable razor? It will enable one to dial in the exact amount of aggression that is required for a particular face.

I was just going to suggest a Merkur Progress.

On 2 it's about the same as a Merkur 34c. I use it on 2.5 and get BBS shaves with 2 passes and a little buffing.

Top Bottom