What's new

Mid-Length Handle for Blackbird

I had a machinist friend shorten my Razorock Ti Halo, a while back. Lopped-off about 3/8” and now its *perfect*…
That is a nice finished look at the bottom. Not being a machinist, I chose a pre-existing groove as a cutting guide.

I went just a little shorter. Ti was much easier to cut than I expected.
1604F7E3-E3B4-4488-A549-CBACA2768C28.jpeg

36902ED1-3102-42B7-A430-311CC8000E27.jpeg

One slight dissatisfaction I have with the razor is the handle length. The short handle, which I have, is just a bit too short. The long handle, which I considered buying, is too long. I would like a handle in the 90-95 mm range which will match the design and polished finish of my Blackbird. Any suggestions? Also, given the way the Blackbird baseplate has an indent for the small protrusion on the Blackbird handle, how well do 3rd party handles fit?

the way the Blackbird design recesses the handle up into the base plate knocks at least 5mm off the “effective length” of the handle. Makes an 85mm really an 80mm, or so.

I agree - just slightly too short, but a much better option for me, over the 101mm long handle option.

the way the Blackbird design recesses the handle up into the base plate knocks at least 5mm off the “effective length” of the handle. Makes an 85mm really an 80mm, or so.

I agree - just slightly too short, but a much better option for me, over the 101mm long handle option.
I posted in another thread that the longer handle, while more comfortable, made the shaves with my Blackbird noticeably less efficient. I've gone back to the original handle and have adjusted quite well to the short length. I could try to alter the angles I use with the long, Halo handle, but my experience with changing the shaving angle has not been good. I might try to cut down my Halo handle, but I don't even have a vice to hold it. Maybe I'll ask around and see if I can find someone with experience doing that sort of thing.

Top Bottom